Campus Life, News, Uncategorized

Dining options limited during break

For the second year in a row, the University of Miami will have an entire week off for Thanksgiving. In previous years, the break consisted of only the Thursday and Friday of the holiday.

Though this additional time off makes it possible for some students to return home, others will remain on campus because of financial or distance constraints.

For senior Roxanne Mayrand, who is originally from France, the week is not long enough to justify paying for a flight home.

“Since we don’t celebrate Thanksgiving, the holiday doesn’t matter to me – the only thing is that I’ll be alone on campus,” she said.

Once the break begins, other students remaining on campus will be faced with limited dining options.

During the break, the Mahoney-Pearson Dining Hall will be closed, forcing all upperclassmen students to visit the Hecht-Stanford Dining Hall, which will be operating for limited hours, according to an email sent out to students living in the residential colleges.

“As a freshman in the residential colleges, I am glad I do not have to go all the way to Mahoney-Pearson to eat, but I feel bad for the upperclassmen,” freshman Molly Beggs said.

The email also listed other dining options that will be open during the break. Innovation Kitchen, Pollo Tropical and Subway will be open Nov. 24-26. Outtakes, Lime, Einstein’s and the Courtside Eatery will be open throughout the week as well.

M20, Jamba Juice, The Rathskellar, Uragano Pizza Truck, Half Moon, Sebastian’s Café, Village Market, Starbucks at the Library, the Corner Deli, Sushi Maki and Panda Express will all be closed.

Some students, such as freshman Kristin Doneva, are dissatisfied with the lack of dining services.

“I am very disappointed because as an international student I would expect the university to respect that I cannot go home over break,” she said. “Even though this is not a holiday I celebrate, I would expect more options for my break.”

On Thanksgiving, the Faculty Master apartments in Stanford, Hecht, Eaton and Mahoney-Pearson will each be hosting a Thanksgiving dinner. Each location will host a dinner for its own residents at a specific time. Various religious organizations on campus will be hosting their own dinners, as well.

“We had Thanksgiving lunch last year in Stanford,” sophomore Quang Nguyen said. “The faculty try to make it as comfy and homey as possible. It’s nice. At least we got to feel like what there is for a Thanksgiving meal. We went there and watched a movie together, all the freshman that could not make it back home.”

Maya Lubarsky

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The 2019-20 college basketball season is more than six months away, but the University of Miami Hurr ...

The University of Miami spring game Saturday will be here before you know it, and right about now, c ...

With about a third of the regular season left, the Miami Hurricanes baseball team is on the rise and ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

Because of expected inclement weather, Thursday's game time has been moved up one hour to 5 p.m ...

Michelle Atherley earned the University of Miami track and field program's fourth ACC outdoor h ...

Canes' recruiting class now stands 25th in 247Sports Composite Ranking. ...

Miami head women's basketball coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the signing of Moulayna Joh ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Championship action Thu ...