Dieters shouldn’t be disdained

Although I could afford to lose a few pounds, every time I diet, I’m told diets or eating healthy is “stupid” by my peers. Why, in a country that has the highest rate of obesity in the world and idolizes the size-two supermodels, am I always condemned for dieting?

This dieting paradox exists because the reality is that men want it both ways. Men want a Victoria’s Secret model, but also the girl who eats cheeseburgers, drinks cheap beer and indulges in ice cream, because eating unhealthily is fun.

Advertisements for the Carl’s Jr. fast food chain that show a scantily clad Paris Hilton chomping down on a cheeseburger embody this “perfect woman” that men think actually exists.

Unfortunately, most of us can’t have it both ways. Full disclosure: I’m 5 feet 5 inches, weigh 139 pounds and have a BMI of 23. Although I’m a “normal” size, I’m not 100 percent satisfied with my body, nor am I always satisfied with my diet.

I’m not blessed with Jennifer Lawrence’s seemingly magical metabolism, which can maintain a lovehandle-less figure despite regular consumption of McDonald’s. If I didn’t watch my weight and work out six times a week, I wouldn’t even be the normal size I am.

When I watch my weight and try to be healthier, I’m seen as buzzkill, but if I’m not a size two and eat whatever I want, I’m not beautiful. Society tells me to aspire to this perfect figure, but not to take the steps necessary to maintain it.

We should encourage healthier eating, not because we should aspire to these unrealistic standards of feminine beauty, but because it’s better for us. We should stop equating healthy eating and dieting with insecurity and party pooping.

My fellow ladies, don’t roll your eyes when your friend orders a salad. Instead, support her decision to be healthy. Her decision shouldn’t make you feel threatened; it should empower you to be healthy as well. Guys, if you want to date a skinny girl, that’s great. But don’t expect her to order cheeseburgers and drink milkshakes like water.

We can’t have it both ways, and society should stop telling us we can.

Rachel Berquist is a junior majoring in English and psychology.

Featured image courtesy CKE Restaurants and Don Flood.

Rachel Berquist

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...