Community, Edge

College kids’ guide to navigating Black Friday madness

As the holiday season approaches, it’s not only recipes and traditions on people’s mind, but presents, as well. With Black Friday around the corner, now is a prime opportunity to gather up all the necessary presents for those you love, as well as anything you may want for yourself. But, as a college student, it’s often hard to navigate the sales and know if you are getting the best deals. Here are some tips and tricks to not be caught up in the Black Friday madness and get the most out of your dollar.

Know the deals beforehand

Before you get swept through the doors of the mall, know what is actually on sale. While it may seem like a great sale at that time, that winter coat may be worth even less after the winter season is over. Most stores will release their deals before the actual sale date, so keep track of what is going on sale and if another store has the same item for cheaper. By not going in blind, you can save yourself from impulse spending beyond your limits.

Set a budget

As a college student, the never-ending money struggle can get to us all. Instead of binging on clothing, electronics, or presents, set a clear amount on how much to spend overall and how much to spend on each person to not get sucked in by the deals.

Know what you really need, for yourself and for others

Along with setting a budget and knowing the deals, make a shopping list before hitting the stores. Once you know how much you can spend on yourself and what is on sale, decide what is truly important to get, or what can wait until later. Know the store return policies before you go, but make sure you don’t buy unnecessary items in the first place to avoid dealing with the regret later.

Save your cash for Cyber Monday

This may seem like a no-brainer, but sometimes it’s better not to spend. If you truly need something, look at what the deals may be for Cyber Monday. If it’s clothing or shoes, try it on beforehand and save your cash for that low price and free shipping day. If it’s an electronic, test it out in the store, get all the necessary information and wait until everything drops in price online to get the biggest sale possible. Some stores only mark down the rest of their items once Monday hits, so that they make more money during the Friday rush.

Overall, the best thing to do is to keep your calm and be prepared. Know the deals, know your budget and have your list easily accessible throughout the entire process. If not, your buyers’ remorse may be next week’s lunch money.

Maya Lubarsky