Basketball, Sports

Canes hoops defeat No. 7-ranked Gators

Just hours before the Miami Hurricanes Basketball team took the court in Gainesville, USA Today released their NCAA Men’s Basketball Coaches Poll determining who was ranked. The University of Florida took the No. 7 rank. Though the Canes remained unranked, they did receive one vote.

After dominating in their first game of the season against Howard, the Canes rose up to the challenge and upset the No. 7/8 ranked Florida Gators 69-67 Monday. Miami is now 2-0.

Redshirt Junior guard Angel Rodriguez scored 24 points including a 3-pointer with 16 seconds left in the game that helped the Canes overcome a 15-point deficit.

The Canes scored 48 points in the second half for the comeback. Rodriguez hit three 3-pointers in a row, giving Miami the lead with 1:45 to go. The fifth 3-pointer of the game for Rodriguez ended the Gators’ 33-game win streak at home, a school record. He was the highest scorer of the game for the Canes.

The Hurricanes shot 65 percent in the second half alone and 70 percent from the 3-point line. Miami was 9-of-11 from the free throw line in the last five minutes of the game. The big man under the basket, 7-foot Junior center Tonye Jekiri, was the team’s highest rebounder grabbing eight.

Miami will travel to Charleston, South Carolina to play Drexel 3 p.m. Thursday in the Gildan Charleston Classic.

Courtney Fiorini

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Demetrius Jackson has come through again for his Overtown neighborhood. For the second year in a row ...

Days after praising Mark Richt, Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant has canceled his Frid ...

Mark Richt kept his word. On Thursday, two days before the Miami Hurricanes defeated Virginia Tech 3 ...

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...