Basketball, Sports

Canes hoops defeat No. 7-ranked Gators

Just hours before the Miami Hurricanes Basketball team took the court in Gainesville, USA Today released their NCAA Men’s Basketball Coaches Poll determining who was ranked. The University of Florida took the No. 7 rank. Though the Canes remained unranked, they did receive one vote.

After dominating in their first game of the season against Howard, the Canes rose up to the challenge and upset the No. 7/8 ranked Florida Gators 69-67 Monday. Miami is now 2-0.

Redshirt Junior guard Angel Rodriguez scored 24 points including a 3-pointer with 16 seconds left in the game that helped the Canes overcome a 15-point deficit.

The Canes scored 48 points in the second half for the comeback. Rodriguez hit three 3-pointers in a row, giving Miami the lead with 1:45 to go. The fifth 3-pointer of the game for Rodriguez ended the Gators’ 33-game win streak at home, a school record. He was the highest scorer of the game for the Canes.

The Hurricanes shot 65 percent in the second half alone and 70 percent from the 3-point line. Miami was 9-of-11 from the free throw line in the last five minutes of the game. The big man under the basket, 7-foot Junior center Tonye Jekiri, was the team’s highest rebounder grabbing eight.

Miami will travel to Charleston, South Carolina to play Drexel 3 p.m. Thursday in the Gildan Charleston Classic.

Courtney Fiorini

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...