Basketball, Sports

Canes hoops defeat No. 7-ranked Gators

Just hours before the Miami Hurricanes Basketball team took the court in Gainesville, USA Today released their NCAA Men’s Basketball Coaches Poll determining who was ranked. The University of Florida took the No. 7 rank. Though the Canes remained unranked, they did receive one vote.

After dominating in their first game of the season against Howard, the Canes rose up to the challenge and upset the No. 7/8 ranked Florida Gators 69-67 Monday. Miami is now 2-0.

Redshirt Junior guard Angel Rodriguez scored 24 points including a 3-pointer with 16 seconds left in the game that helped the Canes overcome a 15-point deficit.

The Canes scored 48 points in the second half for the comeback. Rodriguez hit three 3-pointers in a row, giving Miami the lead with 1:45 to go. The fifth 3-pointer of the game for Rodriguez ended the Gators’ 33-game win streak at home, a school record. He was the highest scorer of the game for the Canes.

The Hurricanes shot 65 percent in the second half alone and 70 percent from the 3-point line. Miami was 9-of-11 from the free throw line in the last five minutes of the game. The big man under the basket, 7-foot Junior center Tonye Jekiri, was the team’s highest rebounder grabbing eight.

Miami will travel to Charleston, South Carolina to play Drexel 3 p.m. Thursday in the Gildan Charleston Classic.

Courtney Fiorini

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...