Basketball, Sports

Canes hoops defeat No. 7-ranked Gators

Just hours before the Miami Hurricanes Basketball team took the court in Gainesville, USA Today released their NCAA Men’s Basketball Coaches Poll determining who was ranked. The University of Florida took the No. 7 rank. Though the Canes remained unranked, they did receive one vote.

After dominating in their first game of the season against Howard, the Canes rose up to the challenge and upset the No. 7/8 ranked Florida Gators 69-67 Monday. Miami is now 2-0.

Redshirt Junior guard Angel Rodriguez scored 24 points including a 3-pointer with 16 seconds left in the game that helped the Canes overcome a 15-point deficit.

The Canes scored 48 points in the second half for the comeback. Rodriguez hit three 3-pointers in a row, giving Miami the lead with 1:45 to go. The fifth 3-pointer of the game for Rodriguez ended the Gators’ 33-game win streak at home, a school record. He was the highest scorer of the game for the Canes.

The Hurricanes shot 65 percent in the second half alone and 70 percent from the 3-point line. Miami was 9-of-11 from the free throw line in the last five minutes of the game. The big man under the basket, 7-foot Junior center Tonye Jekiri, was the team’s highest rebounder grabbing eight.

Miami will travel to Charleston, South Carolina to play Drexel 3 p.m. Thursday in the Gildan Charleston Classic.

Courtney Fiorini

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

UM coach Manny Diaz, who expressed disappointment in Miami’s South Florida recruiting efforts in the ...

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

Michelle Atherley of the Miami track and field team made history on Thursday, as she dominated from ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 73-65 decision Thursday night to Virginia Te ...

Riding a four-game winning streak, the Canes head to Gainesville, Fla., for a three-game rivalry ser ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

Check out the February edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...