Featured, Football, Sports, UM-FSU

Tale of two halves: Canes own the first, Seminoles take the second

Sophomore xxxx (No. 5) battles a Florida State player while attempting to recover a fumbled ball. The Canes lost Saturday night’s game against FSU 26-30. Hallee Meltzer // Assistant Photo Editor

Sophomore Standish Dobard (No. 5) battles a Florida State player while attempting to recover a fumbled ball. The Canes lost Saturday night’s game against FSU 26-30. Hallee Meltzer // Assistant Photo Editor

It truly was a tale of two halves in the 59th meeting of these longtime rivals.

Miami won the first half after a fumble by Clive Walford on the first drive and then scored on its next four drives. Similarly, after a fumble on its first drive of the second half, Florida State University scored on its final four drives. The Canes lost 30-26.

FSU made its second-half come back. The Hurricanes struggled all game to get pressure on reigning Heisman-winning quarterback Jameis Winston, but were able to force turnovers in the first half to make up for it.

When Winston had all day in the pocket in the second half, he was able to pick apart the Hurricanes defense and make plays.

In the grand scheme of things, the game simply got away from Miami in the second half. The team’s game plan didn’t change much, but FSU had more bounces go their way.

Miami couldn’t create turnovers after the first drive of the second half and was unable to wrap up on tackles. After the Canes defense forced three-and-outs on the first three drives of the game, it forced zero the rest of the game.

Among other factors in the Hurricanes loss was the difference in special teams. Florida State has the best kicker in the nation, reigning Lou Groza Award winner Roberto Aguayo, who was three for three on field goals, including one from 53 yards.

Hurricanes kicker Michael Badgley missed a field goal and had an extra point blocked, amounting to four wasted points, the same amount the Hurricanes lost by.

There was no one reason the Hurricanes lost last night, except that Florida State has experience playing from behind and handled the situation perfectly. Miami’s offense outgained the Seminole’s (492-418) and dominated time of possession (35:37-24:23), but Florida State made plays when it needed to.

Junior running back Duke Johnson ran for over 100 yards for the sixth consecutive game. His 167 all-purpose yards made him the first Hurricane in history to accumulate over 5,000 for his career, but it wasn’t enough.

“We didn’t capitalize when we should have. We have a lot of plays that we left out there,” Johnson said. “A lot of plays that we got into good position and made mistakes on the offensive side. There were a lot of things that we were doing that hurt ourselves.”

Last season, Miami perhaps could excuse its loss because of Johnson’s ankle injury, but this year there’s no excuse. Miami had Florida State on the ropes and simply couldn’t prevent the Seminoles from clawing back.

This loss will stay with the team and its faithful fans for a while. Perhaps it will ignite a fire within the team that will help the team win out this year despite being eliminated in the ACC Coastal.

The Canes will travel to Charlottesville, Virginia and take on the Virginia Cavaliers 7 p.m. on Saturday.

Alexander Green

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The 2019-20 college basketball season is more than six months away, but the University of Miami Hurr ...

The University of Miami spring game Saturday will be here before you know it, and right about now, c ...

With about a third of the regular season left, the Miami Hurricanes baseball team is on the rise and ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

Because of expected inclement weather, Thursday's game time has been moved up one hour to 5 p.m ...

Michelle Atherley earned the University of Miami track and field program's fourth ACC outdoor h ...

Canes' recruiting class now stands 25th in 247Sports Composite Ranking. ...

Miami head women's basketball coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the signing of Moulayna Joh ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Championship action Thu ...