Campus Life, News

Support group aids minority women

The Counseling Center at the University of Miami has been used for group therapy, short-term individual therapy and outreach programs, but now a focused support group could widen the center’s reach even further.

Sisters in Sharing, a drop-in support group for women of color, was founded by Dr. Kisha Bazelais, a licensed psychologist and Dr. Haana Ali, a psychology resident. Open to clients and non-clients of the Counseling Center, the program was organized as a safe space for women of color to discuss topics of interest and offer support to one another.

Ali says that looking back to her own experience in college, a support group to deal with the challenges of being a minority woman in college would have been helpful.

“The group is open to what participants want to discuss,” Ali said. “We’re helping minority students adjust on campus where there’s a majority group, how to process what they’re feeling and to validate what people are experiencing.”

UM students of all ages are encouraged to attend and take part in the discussion. The group is structured so that attendees can drop in on a session, with Bazelais and Ali both available to guide the discussion.

Discussion at each meeting will focus on a theme. Though topics like familial, academic challenges and relationship are universal struggles, Sisters in Sharing also deals with specific areas such as race, culture, sexuality, gender and discrimination.

Chika Gbenoba, a freshman studying psychology, believes this support group is a great idea.

“Just as a place for women of color to come together and relate to one another, it’s so important,” she said. “Maybe it’s a place they can call home.”

Bazelais and Ali, both women of color, have personally experienced challenges of this nature and felt a need to offer a group like this to the UM community, having successfully conducted similar support groups in the past.

“This type of support group can help these women feel less marginalized and better able to cope with concerns related to race and gender, as well as other issues,” Ali said.

Bazelais and Ali say that women of color face unique challenges, particularly in academic settings. Issues of racism, sexism and discrimination can be overwhelming to handle on one’s own.

Ali stresses that the attending the sessions is informal and non-binding, as it is just an opportunity to share and understand the issues that unite these women.

“The hope is that participants will have a better understanding of themselves as racial or cultural beings, be more equipped to manage the unique challenges of being a person of color and develop more support on campus,” Ali said.

Sirisha Gaddipati

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are transforming weather forecasts by creating a seasonal for ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that it has agreed to a home football gam ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...