Devoted Hurricane, mother Linda Sher-Collado passes away

Linda Sher-Collado, who has worked as a reservationist at the University Center (UC) and Student Activities Center (SAC) for the past 23 years, passed away Friday after losing her battle against cancer. She was 56.

Sher-Collado’s commitment to the University of Miami community led to a nomination for the Association of Greek Letter Organization (AGLO) Outstanding Faculty Member & Staff Award, as well as a recognition during its annual Apple Polishing Reception.

“Linda was beloved by students and the university community,” said Patricia Whitely, vice president of student affairs, in a statement. “She always tried to help, sharing her ‘can do’ spirit, positive attitude and creative approach, warmly with three generations of UM students.”

Sher-Collado was the mother to two sons, Griffin, an undergraduate student at UM, and Ian, who just returned to the U.S. after serving the army in Afghanistan. She was the wife of Alberto, and they resided in Coconut Grove.

A devoted sailor, Sher-Collado managed the UC Pool for years and was very supportive of UM’s diving and swimming teams. She was also a member of the Student Affairs Staff Development Committee.

“Linda was always the first to greet me with a smile on her face, even when I was bugging her about all of the crazy problems our organizations were having,” said Justin Borroto, a UM alumnus who worked with Linda. “She didn’t only care about the UM community but cared about me personally, as she did with all the students that she worked with. I will always remember her for her sarcastic charm, her ability to juggle a million things at once and her perseverance in making things happen. The UM community will miss her dearly.”

According to Whitely, Linda had recently assumed a variety of new responsibilities after transitioning to the SAC, which led her to work closely with clubs and organizations and help students make their programs and events happen.

“Above all, Linda was a consummate Miami Hurricane, a great person who never hesitated to share a smile or a hello as she buzzed through her day,” Whitely said, “She cared and loved our students and community. She will be sorely missed.”

Brandon Gross, assistant director of the Student Center Complex (SCC), shared similar sentiments.

“Her love for students and for her work at the Student Center Complex is what all of us will remember,” Gross said. “Her bubbly personality and positive energy resinated throughout the SCC and will truly be missed.  Whether it was at her pool office or her leadership at her new office at the Student Activities Center, Linda has left an indelible mark on our great campus and it was a privilege to have worked with her.”

A Memorial Viewing, open to visitors, has been scheduled from 5 to 7 p.m.  Monday at the Van Orsdel Funeral Home, located at 4600 SW Eighth St., Coral Gables, Fla. 33143. A private ceremony will later be held for immediate family members only.

Sophie Barros

At 7:27 p.m Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz tweeted a GIF of a swirling Hurri ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ As Miami awaits decisions from its potential 2019 qua ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

Pictures from the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team's season-opening action in the Miami Sp ...