Football, Sports, UM-FSU

Canes fall to Seminoles despite sturdy start

FSU crowd shot

The student section gets pumped up during the Student’s Song at the sold-out game against FSU Saturday. Hallee Meltzer // Assistant Photo Editor

With 3:05 remaining in the game, Sun Life Stadium’s sellout crowd of more than 76,000 people waited with baited breath as Brad Kaaya started at the 25 yard line, trying to engineer one glorious touchdown drive down 30-26 to Florida State.

It was not to be; the Hurricanes got out to Florida State’s 43-yard-line on fourth and nine. With 46 seconds left, instead of hearing the Canes faithful screaming with a TD pass for the lead, the FSU contingent went wild on a picked off pass from safety Jalen Ramsey. The Seminoles remain undefeated in their college football playoff push.

Miami started off on a 16-0 run, even though tight end Clive Walford fumbled Kaaya’s first pass of the night. The Seminoles began their offensive performance with three straight three-and-outs, while Kaaya took advantage of FSU’s blunders to throw a 27-yard strike to wide receiver Phillip Dorsett, followed by a one-yard rush by running back Duke Johnson and a 45-yard field goal by kicker Michael Badgley.

Meanwhile FSU quarterback Jameis Winston simply wasn’t himself as he threw passes high and wide, going into the locker room 11/20 with an interception.

The second half was a different story. Miami dialed back their aggressive play calling and committed key blunders themselves; a Standish Dobard 18-yard catch-and-fumble, a late hit penalty on Sunny Odogwu; a facemask on Michael Wyche.

Late in the fourth quarter, Nick O’Leary, the Noles stud at tight end, caught a pass from Winston that he appeared to fumble, but was ruled incomplete. That would ultimately lead to the back-breaker, a 26-yard run by Dalvin Cook, the freshman out of Miami Central High School, that gave FSU the one and only lead they needed.

Kaaya started the game 10 for 17 with two touchdowns at the half, but would finish six for 17 with an interception. Duke Johnson’s 130 rushing yards and 37 receiving yards put him over 5,000 all-purpose yards for his career, the first Hurricane to accomplish that feat.

With the loss, the Canes are mathematically eliminated from the ACC Coastal Division, and slide down to 6-4, and 3-3 in the ACC. They fly to Charlottesville, Virginia, to take on the 4-6 (2-4 ACC) Virginia Cavaliers on Nov. 22.

Neil Dwyer

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...