Edge, Music, Reviews

‘Motion’ album proves Calvin Harris can produce more than radio hits

ZZ08542106

Calvin Harris’ newest album, “Motion” // Courtesy Columbia Records

“When I met you in the summer…” is a lyric that the radio has engraved in everyone’s brain these past few months.

Released on Oct. 31, Calvin Harris’ new album, “Motion,” provides all the songs we want to listen to on the radio and even more.

Along with a power house of singers such as Gwen Stefani, Ellie Goudling, John Newman, Big Sean and Haim, Harris collaborated with other big names, including producers Alesso and R3hab, to create the songs that get stuck in everyone’s heads.

As Forbes’ highest-earning DJ of 2013, Harris has already released three singles from this album alone, such as “Summer,” “Under Control” and “Blame.” It is only a matter of time until his other pop songs also become singles and known world-wide.

With songs such as “Faith” and “Love Now,” Harris continues to explore the pop world that has been overrun by electronic dance music (EDM).

However, is this all that Calvin Harris can do? Use famous singers and add a catchy tune behind it?

Surprisingly, the answer is no. He proves with “Motion” that he is more than just hits on the radio, with songs that showcase not only his talent, but also his songwriting background.

Not every song on his album has a four-line verse with a catchy chorus; Harris proves there is more meaning than a few dropped beats.

For example, “Pray to God,” which features the Los Angeles-based trio of sisters, Haim, provides a different, sultrier sound to the EDM stage. Lyrics such as “I thought the end of love is what made you strong/ I pray to God, I just don’t know anymore” show a different side of Harris and his music.

Another song, “Ecstasy,” slows down the album with softer vocals and beats. With few lyrics, the trance of the words and the melody behind it provide a “state of ecstasy” and a “place we’re meant to be” for Harris and his listeners.

“Motion” shows what Harris is capable of, whether they range in Top 100 tracks such as “Blame,” or provide almost four minutes of trance music alone like in “Slow Acid.” He created an atmosphere where his talent collides with dance-all-night, look-into-your-soul and get-lost-in-the-music songs.

Alina Zerpa

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...