Edge, Music, Reviews

‘Motion’ album proves Calvin Harris can produce more than radio hits

ZZ08542106

Calvin Harris’ newest album, “Motion” // Courtesy Columbia Records

“When I met you in the summer…” is a lyric that the radio has engraved in everyone’s brain these past few months.

Released on Oct. 31, Calvin Harris’ new album, “Motion,” provides all the songs we want to listen to on the radio and even more.

Along with a power house of singers such as Gwen Stefani, Ellie Goudling, John Newman, Big Sean and Haim, Harris collaborated with other big names, including producers Alesso and R3hab, to create the songs that get stuck in everyone’s heads.

As Forbes’ highest-earning DJ of 2013, Harris has already released three singles from this album alone, such as “Summer,” “Under Control” and “Blame.” It is only a matter of time until his other pop songs also become singles and known world-wide.

With songs such as “Faith” and “Love Now,” Harris continues to explore the pop world that has been overrun by electronic dance music (EDM).

However, is this all that Calvin Harris can do? Use famous singers and add a catchy tune behind it?

Surprisingly, the answer is no. He proves with “Motion” that he is more than just hits on the radio, with songs that showcase not only his talent, but also his songwriting background.

Not every song on his album has a four-line verse with a catchy chorus; Harris proves there is more meaning than a few dropped beats.

For example, “Pray to God,” which features the Los Angeles-based trio of sisters, Haim, provides a different, sultrier sound to the EDM stage. Lyrics such as “I thought the end of love is what made you strong/ I pray to God, I just don’t know anymore” show a different side of Harris and his music.

Another song, “Ecstasy,” slows down the album with softer vocals and beats. With few lyrics, the trance of the words and the melody behind it provide a “state of ecstasy” and a “place we’re meant to be” for Harris and his listeners.

“Motion” shows what Harris is capable of, whether they range in Top 100 tracks such as “Blame,” or provide almost four minutes of trance music alone like in “Slow Acid.” He created an atmosphere where his talent collides with dance-all-night, look-into-your-soul and get-lost-in-the-music songs.

Alina Zerpa

At 7:27 p.m Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz tweeted a GIF of a swirling Hurri ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ As Miami awaits decisions from its potential 2019 qua ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

Pictures from the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team's season-opening action in the Miami Sp ...