Edge, Music, Reviews

‘Motion’ album proves Calvin Harris can produce more than radio hits

ZZ08542106

Calvin Harris’ newest album, “Motion” // Courtesy Columbia Records

“When I met you in the summer…” is a lyric that the radio has engraved in everyone’s brain these past few months.

Released on Oct. 31, Calvin Harris’ new album, “Motion,” provides all the songs we want to listen to on the radio and even more.

Along with a power house of singers such as Gwen Stefani, Ellie Goudling, John Newman, Big Sean and Haim, Harris collaborated with other big names, including producers Alesso and R3hab, to create the songs that get stuck in everyone’s heads.

As Forbes’ highest-earning DJ of 2013, Harris has already released three singles from this album alone, such as “Summer,” “Under Control” and “Blame.” It is only a matter of time until his other pop songs also become singles and known world-wide.

With songs such as “Faith” and “Love Now,” Harris continues to explore the pop world that has been overrun by electronic dance music (EDM).

However, is this all that Calvin Harris can do? Use famous singers and add a catchy tune behind it?

Surprisingly, the answer is no. He proves with “Motion” that he is more than just hits on the radio, with songs that showcase not only his talent, but also his songwriting background.

Not every song on his album has a four-line verse with a catchy chorus; Harris proves there is more meaning than a few dropped beats.

For example, “Pray to God,” which features the Los Angeles-based trio of sisters, Haim, provides a different, sultrier sound to the EDM stage. Lyrics such as “I thought the end of love is what made you strong/ I pray to God, I just don’t know anymore” show a different side of Harris and his music.

Another song, “Ecstasy,” slows down the album with softer vocals and beats. With few lyrics, the trance of the words and the melody behind it provide a “state of ecstasy” and a “place we’re meant to be” for Harris and his listeners.

“Motion” shows what Harris is capable of, whether they range in Top 100 tracks such as “Blame,” or provide almost four minutes of trance music alone like in “Slow Acid.” He created an atmosphere where his talent collides with dance-all-night, look-into-your-soul and get-lost-in-the-music songs.

Alina Zerpa

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...