Basketball, Sports

Lady Canes’ defense holds off Oakland offense

The Miami Women’s Basketball team is off to a fast defensive start this season.

Head Coach Katie Meier’s Canes started out the season strong against Oakland with a 66-53 win on Friday.

The Lady Canes defense set the tone for the game by forcing four turnovers in the first two and a half minutes of the game.

Miami dominated the game and lead at the half 38-22. Miami held Oakland to 26.9 percent shooting and caused 13 turnovers in the first 20 minutes. Nine of turnovers were steals by the Canes.

“I couldn’t believe our defensive energy and our talking,” Meier said. “I mean, we were everywhere.”

Oakland found its stride early in the second half on an 8-2 run, cutting Miami’s lead to 10 points. It could never overcome that double-digit deficit though. Miami held Oakland off for the rest of the game.

Sophomore guard Adrienne Motley lead the Canes in scoring with 21 points and went 9-of-15 shooting. She also had six rebounds, three assists and three steals.

Senior guard Suriya McGuire had a double-double, scoring 12 points and 10 rebounds.

The Canes will take on Middle Tennessee 8 p.m. Monday in Murfreesboro, Tennessee for their road opener.

Courtney Fiorini

The Marlins — along with a handful of other teams — haven’t signed a single player from another team ...

The 2019 Miami Hurricanes coaching staff is now in place and ready to rumble. Though the Hurricanes ...

The last time Tyree St. Louis played something other than tackle, by coincidence, was the last time ...

Manny Diaz might as well have been the head of the National Weather Service on Tuesday. At 7:27 p.m. ...

Even after landing Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, the Hurricanes aren’t done looking for quarterb ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

The singer, songwriter, actress, and entrepreneur will share insights and advice from her more than ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...

The Miami women's basketball team earned its first victory at Cameron Indoor Stadium with a 58- ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...