Basketball, Sports

Lady Canes’ defense holds off Oakland offense

The Miami Women’s Basketball team is off to a fast defensive start this season.

Head Coach Katie Meier’s Canes started out the season strong against Oakland with a 66-53 win on Friday.

The Lady Canes defense set the tone for the game by forcing four turnovers in the first two and a half minutes of the game.

Miami dominated the game and lead at the half 38-22. Miami held Oakland to 26.9 percent shooting and caused 13 turnovers in the first 20 minutes. Nine of turnovers were steals by the Canes.

“I couldn’t believe our defensive energy and our talking,” Meier said. “I mean, we were everywhere.”

Oakland found its stride early in the second half on an 8-2 run, cutting Miami’s lead to 10 points. It could never overcome that double-digit deficit though. Miami held Oakland off for the rest of the game.

Sophomore guard Adrienne Motley lead the Canes in scoring with 21 points and went 9-of-15 shooting. She also had six rebounds, three assists and three steals.

Senior guard Suriya McGuire had a double-double, scoring 12 points and 10 rebounds.

The Canes will take on Middle Tennessee 8 p.m. Monday in Murfreesboro, Tennessee for their road opener.

Courtney Fiorini

The gallery celebrated Hispanic Heritage Month with a virtual event that paired works of art from it

Felicia Knaul, an international health economist and expert in health systems and social sectors, is

Stephen A. Schwarzman, co-founder of the investment firm Blackstone, shared insights on the economy

Rosenstiel School researcher Katharine Mach, who studies the response and adaptation to changing cli

As the battle to contain wildfires continues, so does the debate as to how much climate change is ex