Basketball, Sports

Lady Canes’ defense holds off Oakland offense

The Miami Women’s Basketball team is off to a fast defensive start this season.

Head Coach Katie Meier’s Canes started out the season strong against Oakland with a 66-53 win on Friday.

The Lady Canes defense set the tone for the game by forcing four turnovers in the first two and a half minutes of the game.

Miami dominated the game and lead at the half 38-22. Miami held Oakland to 26.9 percent shooting and caused 13 turnovers in the first 20 minutes. Nine of turnovers were steals by the Canes.

“I couldn’t believe our defensive energy and our talking,” Meier said. “I mean, we were everywhere.”

Oakland found its stride early in the second half on an 8-2 run, cutting Miami’s lead to 10 points. It could never overcome that double-digit deficit though. Miami held Oakland off for the rest of the game.

Sophomore guard Adrienne Motley lead the Canes in scoring with 21 points and went 9-of-15 shooting. She also had six rebounds, three assists and three steals.

Senior guard Suriya McGuire had a double-double, scoring 12 points and 10 rebounds.

The Canes will take on Middle Tennessee 8 p.m. Monday in Murfreesboro, Tennessee for their road opener.

Courtney Fiorini

The Miami Hurricanes returned to the football field Tuesday, their first spring at the Carol Soffer ...

So much for the suspense of Selection Monday. The University of Miami women’s basketball team didn’t ...

The University of Miami women’s basketball team didn’t have to wait until Monday night’s Selection S ...

Nearly three months have passed since we last saw the Miami Hurricanes perform on a football field, ...

Manny Diaz begins his first spring practice as UM’s head football coach on Tuesday, and nobody — not ...

Watch a video about the Annual Senior Showcase involving students in the Theatre Arts Program. ...

Become one in a million. Join the All of Us research program. ...

With Florida lifting the ban on smokable medical marijuana, the nursing school’s Denise Vidot answer ...

Three School of Architecture students recount their first day in Switzerland, and some of the archit ...

In the aftermath of the powerful tornado that devastated a rural Alabama community, a UM storm exper ...

The Miami women's basketball team received a No. 4-seed in the NCAA Tournament and will host th ...

The Canes return home for a week, beginning a five-game homestand with a midweek series against Colu ...

The University of Miami women's track and field program rank eighth in the preseason edition of ...

New Hurricanes wide receiver K.J. Osborn was swayed by what he saw on his television set in early Ja ...

Images from the No. 27 Miami women's tennis team's 5-2 triumph over No. 42 Notre Dame at t ...