Edge, Movies, Reviews

‘Dumb and Dumber To’ offers poor plot, joyless jokes

Photo Courtesy movienewz.com

Photo Courtesy movienewz.com

The movie “Dumb and Dumber To” is difficult to talk about. On the one hand, it isn’t a good movie. It is aggressively, unapologetically, hatefully bad. On the other, that is exactly what the movie advertised. And yet, somehow, the film manages to deliver even less than that, dragging on in a slog that will disappoint even fans of the original.

The film follows Harry (Jeff Daniels) and Lloyd (Jim Carrey), two bumbling fools who set out on a road trip to meet up with Harry’s long lost daughter, Penny (Rachel Melvin), so that she might give Harry a replacement kidney. But the plot quickly dissolves into a mess, throwing in more and more bizarre and tangential elements, such as secret inventions and a thoroughly dull murder plot, featuring thoroughly unfunny Rob Riggle playing the role of twins. Fans of the original loudly complained after the show that the plot leaped from an absurd, if somewhat grounded plot in the original, to bizarre flights of fancy today.

The plot being so insubstantial, it quickly dissolves into tangents and dream sequences trying desperately to keep the audience entertained. The most vile of these would have to be the extended sequence in which Lloyd imagines accompanying Penny to prom, and descends into a dull fight sequence.

The character of Penny provides a strange problem to the film. While she is just as, if not more foolish, than Harry and Lloyd, she seems generally good-natured and kind. She’s naive and sweet, and scenes with her are some of the few tolerable ones, despite her naivete being used as the basis for more than one uncomfortable joke about her sexual exploitation.

But her kindness, even in her stupidity, highlights just how nasty Harry and Lloyd can be.  They’re not just dumb; they’re unpleasant and uncaring. Even when they are irrefutably presented with the fact they are hurting people, they delight in it. And no matter how may times the movie cajoles us into laughing along with them, the audience is just left uncomfortably staring at their antics.

But if Harry and Lloyd are mean, the movie’s six writers are even meaner. Perhaps 1994, when the original film was released, was not as sensitive an era as today, but now some of the film’s favorite subject matters seems to be just uncomfortable and gross.

Beyond the obvious jokes about the intellectually disabled, a particular glee seems to be taken in tormenting a blind character, a series of deaf jokes falls absolutely flat, potshots are taken towards the LGBT community – including one particularly ugly crack about gay youth homelessness – and Harry and Lloyd’s rampant, and consistently hideous misogyny is played for laughs.

Gross-out humor can be done well. Such films as “There’s Something About Mary” and “Johnny English” prove that some forms of juvenile humor can still ring funny at all ages and in all eras. “Dumb and Dumber To,” on the other hand, is simply a meandering, joyless trek into discomfort and boredom.

Blake Weil

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

The Liaison Committee on Medical Education approved plans developed by the Miller School of Medicine ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

Muslim Students of the University of Miami will hold a prayer service at 12:45 p.m. Friday at the La ...

The theme of the 48th annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

Make no mistake about it – the college paths of this dynamic Miami offensive duo are as stark in con ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg captured the first NCAA postseason recognition o ...

It is hard not to think of Miami's Amy Deem when you think of trail blazers in the track and f ...

Friday will be the Breast Cancer Awareness Pink Game, while Saturday is Bark in the Park. ...