Blogs, Featured, UBuzz, UM-FSU

UM vs. FSU: Tailgate Edition

Few things in this world invoke the same types of feelings that tailgates do. However, each school seems to have its own identity. This week we take you to Tallahassee, Florida, where the guys are frat stars and the girls just love their cowboy boots.

But this post wouldn’t be complete without a look at UM’s own tailgating rituals. So, let’s take a look at some of the pros and cons of UM and FSU tailgates.

1. FSU con: The girl wearing a dress and cowboy boots

FSU Dress and Boots Girl

Photo courtesy livingincolorprint.com

She’s hip, she’s cool and she clearly doesn’t subscribe to the idea that tailgates are messy and could potentially end in getting beer spilled all over her. But whatever, at least she looks cute for like a millisecond.

2. UM pro: The girl in the cutoff shirt and jean shorts

Photo via Facebook

Maybe I’m partial for obvious reasons, but to me this seems like more appropriate tailgate attire. It’s clean, it’s simple and they’re clothes that you can throw into the washing machine as soon as you get home without worrying that they’ll shrink or get ruined. No muss, no fuss. Feel me?

3. FSU pro: Oh, the weather outside is frightful

Photo courtesy Jenna Stein

Photo via Facebook

The only good thing about tailgating at FSU is that the temperature doesn’t stay at 99.9 degrees Fahrenheit until January. Therefore, a girl can pull off the beanie, sweatshirt, boots and leggings look without melting, dying or getting “Wow, you’re insane” looks from her besties.

4. UM con (but really it’s a pro): Get ready to experience a heatstroke a week 

10685459_10203136446065637_2390179041729834947_n

Photo via Facebook

This is November. Only in Miami can students still be tailgating shirtless. Granted, it is nice to rub it in to your friends who go to school up north. Cue the “haha, you’re in the snow and I’m in paradise” Snapchat.

5. FSU pro: Your campus, your tailgate

Photo courtesy

Photo via Facebook

Don’t get me wrong, I love the dodgy feel of Sun Life Stadium on Saturdays, but it must be nice to walk out of your dorm room and into a tailgate. Just the convenience of having the stadium on campus makes it more enticing.

6. UM pro(ish): The sunny life at Sun Life

Photo courtesy

Photo via Facebook

The asphalt, barbecues and all-around close proximity to everyone and everything make this place an inferno of drunken college kids. I legitimately don’t understand how, but as soon as one arrives at Sun Life, he or she is greeted with thick and choking heat. It’s like the greenhouse effect but with beer. On the plus side, we don’t have to tailgate next to the Dean of Students Office.

We may both be Florida schools, but UM and FSU have vast differences when it comes to tailgating. And while some long for a stadium on campus and actual changes in temperature, I wouldn’t trade our crazy, disgusting parking lot tailgates for anything else.

At the end of the day, what makes the University of Miami unique, is its ability to transform the most random things into tried and true traditions. This doesn’t change the fact, however, that we’re all still salty about the Orange Bowl.

Erika Glass

Multimedia Editor

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The 2019-20 college basketball season is more than six months away, but the University of Miami Hurr ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

Following a 4-1 victory over No. 13-seed Virginia Tech Thursday in its ACC Championship opener, the ...

The fifth-seeded Miami women's tennis team started ACC Championship competition with a 4-1 vict ...

The Hurricanes will battle fourth-seed NC State in the quarterfinals Friday at 9 a.m. ...

The Canes made a late charge, but fell short at No. 8 Louisville 7-5 ...

Because of expected inclement weather, Thursday's game time has been moved up one hour to 5 p.m ...