News Briefs 11/13

Seniors Julie Earl and Jesus Melendez sumo wrestle during the Hurricane Productions event on Monday evening at the Rat. A food eating contest also took place. Victoria McKaba // Staff Photographer

#BeatFSU Pep Rally 

The Hurricanes are facing off against longtime football rival, Florida State University, this Saturday. Students can get game day ready 5:30 p.m. Friday on the Lakeside Patio with Category Five’s #BeatFSU Pep Rally. Speakers will include President Donna E. Shalala and Deputy Athletic Director Jennifer Strawley. The first 1,000 students in attendance will receive a free Glow-In-The-Dark “Stop the Chop” t-shirt and a pair of sunglasses.

Clinton Global Initiative University 

The University of Miami is hosting the eighth annual Clinton Global Initiative University (CGI U) from March 6-8. The event, which is hosted by former President Bill Clinton and his daughter Chelsea Clinton, is open to all students 18 or older who are enrolled in a college or university. The UM Preferred Decision and Funding Application Deadline is Nov. 15 and the final deadline for all applicants is Dec. 1.

International Dance Competition

The Council of International Students and Organizations (C.O.I.S.O.) is hosting a dance competition at 8:30 p.m. Nov. 19 on the Rock. The event is free and the theme is fandoms. Competing organizations include UJhoom, a Bollywood-Fusion Dance Team, and the UM Filipino Student Association. More competitors will be revealed on C.O.I.S.O.’s Facebook page in the upcoming week.

Marlee Lisker

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

Finally, Tate Martell knows what 2019 will hold and it’s good news for the Miami Hurricanes. After m ...

The theme of the 48th Annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

Sophomore Aloki Patel, a double major in Biology and Criminology in the pre-med track, spent spring ...

Returning to campus, former UM President Donna E. Shalala discussed the “irrational decision” that a ...

More than 40 University of Miami students spent last week in a half dozen U.S. communities learning ...

Students from UM, FIU, and FAU will have their graduate dissertations and projects reviewed by peers ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that the National Collegiate Athletic Ass ...

Miami's Hurricane Club announced the launch of The New Miami Fund Wednesday. ...

The No. 25 Miami women's tennis team will visit the Tar Heel State to play a pair of top-15 opp ...

Bastias took the time to reflect on his chemistry with fellow classmate Franco Aubone, his transitio ...