News Briefs 11/13

Seniors Julie Earl and Jesus Melendez sumo wrestle during the Hurricane Productions event on Monday evening at the Rat. A food eating contest also took place. Victoria McKaba // Staff Photographer

#BeatFSU Pep Rally 

The Hurricanes are facing off against longtime football rival, Florida State University, this Saturday. Students can get game day ready 5:30 p.m. Friday on the Lakeside Patio with Category Five’s #BeatFSU Pep Rally. Speakers will include President Donna E. Shalala and Deputy Athletic Director Jennifer Strawley. The first 1,000 students in attendance will receive a free Glow-In-The-Dark “Stop the Chop” t-shirt and a pair of sunglasses.

Clinton Global Initiative University 

The University of Miami is hosting the eighth annual Clinton Global Initiative University (CGI U) from March 6-8. The event, which is hosted by former President Bill Clinton and his daughter Chelsea Clinton, is open to all students 18 or older who are enrolled in a college or university. The UM Preferred Decision and Funding Application Deadline is Nov. 15 and the final deadline for all applicants is Dec. 1.

International Dance Competition

The Council of International Students and Organizations (C.O.I.S.O.) is hosting a dance competition at 8:30 p.m. Nov. 19 on the Rock. The event is free and the theme is fandoms. Competing organizations include UJhoom, a Bollywood-Fusion Dance Team, and the UM Filipino Student Association. More competitors will be revealed on C.O.I.S.O.’s Facebook page in the upcoming week.

Marlee Lisker

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that lead her to signing ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...