News Briefs 11/13

Seniors Julie Earl and Jesus Melendez sumo wrestle during the Hurricane Productions event on Monday evening at the Rat. A food eating contest also took place. Victoria McKaba // Staff Photographer

#BeatFSU Pep Rally 

The Hurricanes are facing off against longtime football rival, Florida State University, this Saturday. Students can get game day ready 5:30 p.m. Friday on the Lakeside Patio with Category Five’s #BeatFSU Pep Rally. Speakers will include President Donna E. Shalala and Deputy Athletic Director Jennifer Strawley. The first 1,000 students in attendance will receive a free Glow-In-The-Dark “Stop the Chop” t-shirt and a pair of sunglasses.

Clinton Global Initiative University 

The University of Miami is hosting the eighth annual Clinton Global Initiative University (CGI U) from March 6-8. The event, which is hosted by former President Bill Clinton and his daughter Chelsea Clinton, is open to all students 18 or older who are enrolled in a college or university. The UM Preferred Decision and Funding Application Deadline is Nov. 15 and the final deadline for all applicants is Dec. 1.

International Dance Competition

The Council of International Students and Organizations (C.O.I.S.O.) is hosting a dance competition at 8:30 p.m. Nov. 19 on the Rock. The event is free and the theme is fandoms. Competing organizations include UJhoom, a Bollywood-Fusion Dance Team, and the UM Filipino Student Association. More competitors will be revealed on C.O.I.S.O.’s Facebook page in the upcoming week.

Marlee Lisker

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...