News Briefs 11/13

Seniors Julie Earl and Jesus Melendez sumo wrestle during the Hurricane Productions event on Monday evening at the Rat. A food eating contest also took place. Victoria McKaba // Staff Photographer

#BeatFSU Pep Rally 

The Hurricanes are facing off against longtime football rival, Florida State University, this Saturday. Students can get game day ready 5:30 p.m. Friday on the Lakeside Patio with Category Five’s #BeatFSU Pep Rally. Speakers will include President Donna E. Shalala and Deputy Athletic Director Jennifer Strawley. The first 1,000 students in attendance will receive a free Glow-In-The-Dark “Stop the Chop” t-shirt and a pair of sunglasses.

Clinton Global Initiative University 

The University of Miami is hosting the eighth annual Clinton Global Initiative University (CGI U) from March 6-8. The event, which is hosted by former President Bill Clinton and his daughter Chelsea Clinton, is open to all students 18 or older who are enrolled in a college or university. The UM Preferred Decision and Funding Application Deadline is Nov. 15 and the final deadline for all applicants is Dec. 1.

International Dance Competition

The Council of International Students and Organizations (C.O.I.S.O.) is hosting a dance competition at 8:30 p.m. Nov. 19 on the Rock. The event is free and the theme is fandoms. Competing organizations include UJhoom, a Bollywood-Fusion Dance Team, and the UM Filipino Student Association. More competitors will be revealed on C.O.I.S.O.’s Facebook page in the upcoming week.

Marlee Lisker

The University of Miami’s Cuban Heritage Collection will host its third New Directions in Cuban Stud ...

The University of Miami is naming its business school in honor of Patti and Allan Herbert for their ...

Lucha Latina celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month by highlighting Central American culture. ...

The Frost School of Music’s Valerie Coleman, who heads to Carnegie Hall tonight with the Philadelphi ...

Engineering students at the University of Miami combine inventive materials with a new construction ...

RSS Error: A feed could not be found at http://www.hurricanesports.com/rss.aspx. A feed with an invalid mime type may fall victim to this error, or SimplePie was unable to auto-discover it.. Use force_feed() if you are certain this URL is a real feed.