News Briefs 11/13

Seniors Julie Earl and Jesus Melendez sumo wrestle during the Hurricane Productions event on Monday evening at the Rat. A food eating contest also took place. Victoria McKaba // Staff Photographer

#BeatFSU Pep Rally 

The Hurricanes are facing off against longtime football rival, Florida State University, this Saturday. Students can get game day ready 5:30 p.m. Friday on the Lakeside Patio with Category Five’s #BeatFSU Pep Rally. Speakers will include President Donna E. Shalala and Deputy Athletic Director Jennifer Strawley. The first 1,000 students in attendance will receive a free Glow-In-The-Dark “Stop the Chop” t-shirt and a pair of sunglasses.

Clinton Global Initiative University 

The University of Miami is hosting the eighth annual Clinton Global Initiative University (CGI U) from March 6-8. The event, which is hosted by former President Bill Clinton and his daughter Chelsea Clinton, is open to all students 18 or older who are enrolled in a college or university. The UM Preferred Decision and Funding Application Deadline is Nov. 15 and the final deadline for all applicants is Dec. 1.

International Dance Competition

The Council of International Students and Organizations (C.O.I.S.O.) is hosting a dance competition at 8:30 p.m. Nov. 19 on the Rock. The event is free and the theme is fandoms. Competing organizations include UJhoom, a Bollywood-Fusion Dance Team, and the UM Filipino Student Association. More competitors will be revealed on C.O.I.S.O.’s Facebook page in the upcoming week.

Marlee Lisker

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

While the University of Miami awaits what quarterback it will get Feb. 6 on National Signing Day, ne ...

It appears the University of Miami football program has found its answer to intelligent, energetic, ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up play on its first weekend of competition Sunday ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up play at the Miami Spring Invite Sunday, wi ...

Chris Lykes scored 25 points as Miami got past Wake Forest. ...