Football, Sports, UM-FSU

Tailgating to start early for FSU game, with increased police presence

This weekend, the most highly anticipated game of the Hurricanes football season will finally come to fruition.

The undefeated, No. 2-ranked Florida State University will come to Sun Life Stadium on Saturday to attempt to squash their rivals — and the Canes look to continue an ongoing home win streak with an upset in prime time.

Due to the high number of attendees expected, the university’s administration and the Sun Life staff will be altering usual processes.

The parking lots will open earlier than usual, giving fans extra time to tailgate and prepare for the game. The Green lot will open at 1 p.m., and the Blue, Orange, Maroon and Purple lots will open at 2 p.m.

According to several fraternity social chairs and brothers, all of the fraternity tailgates will remain in the Orange lot in order to keep their tailgaters together and give the administration a better chance to monitor activity, a practice that has been in place for most of this football season.

There will also be increased police presence throughout all of the parking lots, according to the associate dean of students and director of judicial affairs, Dr. Tony Lake.

In addition, there will be a range of special activities for fans before the game. Students who want to participate in the Hurricane Walk, in which students create a “human tunnel” to welcome the team from their buses into the stadium, must be outside of Gate H by 6 p.m.

There will also be another Fan Zone on the field, with multiple companies giving away prizes. The first 1,000 fans to get to the marketing tent of the Fan Zone will get a Denzel Perryman poster.

Saturday also marks Military Appreciation Day, and the U.S. Army Golden Knights Parachute Team will drop in with an American flag in the pregame ceremonies.

With football season nearing a close in the coming weeks, the Hurricanes will need as much support as they can get as they take on their toughest competitor yet. Come by on Saturday to cheer on the team, have fun and stay safe. As usual, shuttles from campus will begin departing three hours before kickoff.

For more logistics regarding the game, visit hurricanesports.com.

Alexa Pappas

Even after snagging Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, UM has remained highly aggressive in its pursu ...

As the NFL’s conference finals were unfolding Sunday, Manny Diaz – the UM coach who doubles as a soc ...

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team was named the ACC Player of the Week, ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team improved to 3-0 on the season following a 6-1 triumph ...