Football, Sports, UM-FSU

Tailgating to start early for FSU game, with increased police presence

This weekend, the most highly anticipated game of the Hurricanes football season will finally come to fruition.

The undefeated, No. 2-ranked Florida State University will come to Sun Life Stadium on Saturday to attempt to squash their rivals — and the Canes look to continue an ongoing home win streak with an upset in prime time.

Due to the high number of attendees expected, the university’s administration and the Sun Life staff will be altering usual processes.

The parking lots will open earlier than usual, giving fans extra time to tailgate and prepare for the game. The Green lot will open at 1 p.m., and the Blue, Orange, Maroon and Purple lots will open at 2 p.m.

According to several fraternity social chairs and brothers, all of the fraternity tailgates will remain in the Orange lot in order to keep their tailgaters together and give the administration a better chance to monitor activity, a practice that has been in place for most of this football season.

There will also be increased police presence throughout all of the parking lots, according to the associate dean of students and director of judicial affairs, Dr. Tony Lake.

In addition, there will be a range of special activities for fans before the game. Students who want to participate in the Hurricane Walk, in which students create a “human tunnel” to welcome the team from their buses into the stadium, must be outside of Gate H by 6 p.m.

There will also be another Fan Zone on the field, with multiple companies giving away prizes. The first 1,000 fans to get to the marketing tent of the Fan Zone will get a Denzel Perryman poster.

Saturday also marks Military Appreciation Day, and the U.S. Army Golden Knights Parachute Team will drop in with an American flag in the pregame ceremonies.

With football season nearing a close in the coming weeks, the Hurricanes will need as much support as they can get as they take on their toughest competitor yet. Come by on Saturday to cheer on the team, have fun and stay safe. As usual, shuttles from campus will begin departing three hours before kickoff.

For more logistics regarding the game, visit hurricanesports.com.

Alexa Pappas

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...