Football, Sports, UM-FSU

Tailgating to start early for FSU game, with increased police presence

This weekend, the most highly anticipated game of the Hurricanes football season will finally come to fruition.

The undefeated, No. 2-ranked Florida State University will come to Sun Life Stadium on Saturday to attempt to squash their rivals — and the Canes look to continue an ongoing home win streak with an upset in prime time.

Due to the high number of attendees expected, the university’s administration and the Sun Life staff will be altering usual processes.

The parking lots will open earlier than usual, giving fans extra time to tailgate and prepare for the game. The Green lot will open at 1 p.m., and the Blue, Orange, Maroon and Purple lots will open at 2 p.m.

According to several fraternity social chairs and brothers, all of the fraternity tailgates will remain in the Orange lot in order to keep their tailgaters together and give the administration a better chance to monitor activity, a practice that has been in place for most of this football season.

There will also be increased police presence throughout all of the parking lots, according to the associate dean of students and director of judicial affairs, Dr. Tony Lake.

In addition, there will be a range of special activities for fans before the game. Students who want to participate in the Hurricane Walk, in which students create a “human tunnel” to welcome the team from their buses into the stadium, must be outside of Gate H by 6 p.m.

There will also be another Fan Zone on the field, with multiple companies giving away prizes. The first 1,000 fans to get to the marketing tent of the Fan Zone will get a Denzel Perryman poster.

Saturday also marks Military Appreciation Day, and the U.S. Army Golden Knights Parachute Team will drop in with an American flag in the pregame ceremonies.

With football season nearing a close in the coming weeks, the Hurricanes will need as much support as they can get as they take on their toughest competitor yet. Come by on Saturday to cheer on the team, have fun and stay safe. As usual, shuttles from campus will begin departing three hours before kickoff.

For more logistics regarding the game, visit hurricanesports.com.

Alexa Pappas

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ You know when you will know the Hurricanes are really bac ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

The 2019 NFL draft begins tonight from Nashville, Tennessee, and continues through Saturday with sev ...

The final concrete slabs for the 25 interconnected buildings of the newly named Lakeside Village are ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team won ACC Player of the Year for the seco ...

Sophomore Adria Soriano Barrera earned second team accolades for the second straight season, while f ...

The Miami track and field program is set to compete at the Tom Jones Memorial meet this weekend for ...

The No. 24 Hurricanes welcome ACC Coastal division foe Virginia Tech for a three-game series beginni ...

Miami and adidas today unveiled the first-ever baseball jerseys made from Parley Ocean Plastic. ...