Football, Sports, UM-FSU

Tailgating to start early for FSU game, with increased police presence

This weekend, the most highly anticipated game of the Hurricanes football season will finally come to fruition.

The undefeated, No. 2-ranked Florida State University will come to Sun Life Stadium on Saturday to attempt to squash their rivals — and the Canes look to continue an ongoing home win streak with an upset in prime time.

Due to the high number of attendees expected, the university’s administration and the Sun Life staff will be altering usual processes.

The parking lots will open earlier than usual, giving fans extra time to tailgate and prepare for the game. The Green lot will open at 1 p.m., and the Blue, Orange, Maroon and Purple lots will open at 2 p.m.

According to several fraternity social chairs and brothers, all of the fraternity tailgates will remain in the Orange lot in order to keep their tailgaters together and give the administration a better chance to monitor activity, a practice that has been in place for most of this football season.

There will also be increased police presence throughout all of the parking lots, according to the associate dean of students and director of judicial affairs, Dr. Tony Lake.

In addition, there will be a range of special activities for fans before the game. Students who want to participate in the Hurricane Walk, in which students create a “human tunnel” to welcome the team from their buses into the stadium, must be outside of Gate H by 6 p.m.

There will also be another Fan Zone on the field, with multiple companies giving away prizes. The first 1,000 fans to get to the marketing tent of the Fan Zone will get a Denzel Perryman poster.

Saturday also marks Military Appreciation Day, and the U.S. Army Golden Knights Parachute Team will drop in with an American flag in the pregame ceremonies.

With football season nearing a close in the coming weeks, the Hurricanes will need as much support as they can get as they take on their toughest competitor yet. Come by on Saturday to cheer on the team, have fun and stay safe. As usual, shuttles from campus will begin departing three hours before kickoff.

For more logistics regarding the game, visit hurricanesports.com.

Alexa Pappas

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

Ebuka Izundu had a career night as the Canes took down Stephen F. Austin, 96-58. ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...