Campus Life, News

Diversity Week showcases religious, cultural treasures

The spiritual treasures showcase exhibits cultural and religious items shared by students. The display will be at Lowe Art Museum until Dec. 7. Victoria McKaba // Staff Photographer

The Lowe Art Museum’s collection of artistic treasures got a little larger. For one month, a glass case in the Lowe displays items of cultural or religious significance contributed by students. As part of Diversity Week, the Spiritual Treasures Showcase, which launched Tuesday and will run through Dec. 7, represents the variety of nationalities and religions present on campus.

Diversity Week celebrates the diversity of cultures and religions represented throughout the university community.

Featured in the display are four items contributed by senior Kamila Orlova, president of the Russian and Eastern European Club (REEC). The treasures, each pertaining to a different religion, belong to her and other members of the club .

Among those items were the Quran, Misbaha and Prayer Rug given to her by members of the club to represent the Muslim religion; the Menorah, Menorah Candles and Tallit (prayer shawl) for Judaism; the Black Madonna of Czestochowa, Poland to represent Roman Catholicism in eastern Europe; and to represent the Slavic Orthodox religion that she follows, she shared the Orthodox Cross, Bible, ceremonial candles, icons and the Communion Bread, called “prosvirkas.”

Through the presentation of her items, Orlova hopes to share the traditions and religions represented in those cultures.

“I am hoping to prove that regardless of all the differences in the religions and cultures, we all have something in common, and that is an inalienable feeling of belief and hope that we associate with something that we cherish, that is dear to our hearts and we are devoted to,” Orlova said.

This year the Unity Roundtable, a student group promoting diversity, hosted the Spiritual Treasures Showcase for the first time as part of Diversity Week, which is an annual event sponsored by Multicultural Student Affairs and the Unity Roundtable.

“Through Diversity Week, I think other students will be able to both recognize our similarities, and appreciate the differences that make us who we are, and embrace them both respectively,” said Mischael Cetoute, who serves as  the chairperson for the Spiritual Treasures Showcase.

Emily Dabau

Even after snagging Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, UM has remained highly aggressive in its pursu ...

As the NFL’s conference finals were unfolding Sunday, Manny Diaz – the UM coach who doubles as a soc ...

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team was named the ACC Player of the Week, ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team improved to 3-0 on the season following a 6-1 triumph ...