Campus Life, News

Diversity Week showcases religious, cultural treasures

The spiritual treasures showcase exhibits cultural and religious items shared by students. The display will be at Lowe Art Museum until Dec. 7. Victoria McKaba // Staff Photographer

The Lowe Art Museum’s collection of artistic treasures got a little larger. For one month, a glass case in the Lowe displays items of cultural or religious significance contributed by students. As part of Diversity Week, the Spiritual Treasures Showcase, which launched Tuesday and will run through Dec. 7, represents the variety of nationalities and religions present on campus.

Diversity Week celebrates the diversity of cultures and religions represented throughout the university community.

Featured in the display are four items contributed by senior Kamila Orlova, president of the Russian and Eastern European Club (REEC). The treasures, each pertaining to a different religion, belong to her and other members of the club .

Among those items were the Quran, Misbaha and Prayer Rug given to her by members of the club to represent the Muslim religion; the Menorah, Menorah Candles and Tallit (prayer shawl) for Judaism; the Black Madonna of Czestochowa, Poland to represent Roman Catholicism in eastern Europe; and to represent the Slavic Orthodox religion that she follows, she shared the Orthodox Cross, Bible, ceremonial candles, icons and the Communion Bread, called “prosvirkas.”

Through the presentation of her items, Orlova hopes to share the traditions and religions represented in those cultures.

“I am hoping to prove that regardless of all the differences in the religions and cultures, we all have something in common, and that is an inalienable feeling of belief and hope that we associate with something that we cherish, that is dear to our hearts and we are devoted to,” Orlova said.

This year the Unity Roundtable, a student group promoting diversity, hosted the Spiritual Treasures Showcase for the first time as part of Diversity Week, which is an annual event sponsored by Multicultural Student Affairs and the Unity Roundtable.

“Through Diversity Week, I think other students will be able to both recognize our similarities, and appreciate the differences that make us who we are, and embrace them both respectively,” said Mischael Cetoute, who serves as  the chairperson for the Spiritual Treasures Showcase.

Emily Dabau

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ You know when you will know the Hurricanes are really bac ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

The 2019 NFL draft begins tonight from Nashville, Tennessee, and continues through Saturday with sev ...

The final concrete slabs for the 25 interconnected buildings of the newly named Lakeside Village are ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team won ACC Player of the Year for the seco ...

Sophomore Adria Soriano Barrera earned second team accolades for the second straight season, while f ...

Miami and adidas today unveiled the first-ever baseball jerseys made from Parley Ocean Plastic. ...

Michael Amditis tied a career-high with three hits and a homer to help the #24 Canes sweep FIU. ...

Miami earns sixth seed in Cle Elum Regional, hosted by the University of Washington. ...