Campus Life, News

Diversity Week showcases religious, cultural treasures

The spiritual treasures showcase exhibits cultural and religious items shared by students. The display will be at Lowe Art Museum until Dec. 7. Victoria McKaba // Staff Photographer

The Lowe Art Museum’s collection of artistic treasures got a little larger. For one month, a glass case in the Lowe displays items of cultural or religious significance contributed by students. As part of Diversity Week, the Spiritual Treasures Showcase, which launched Tuesday and will run through Dec. 7, represents the variety of nationalities and religions present on campus.

Diversity Week celebrates the diversity of cultures and religions represented throughout the university community.

Featured in the display are four items contributed by senior Kamila Orlova, president of the Russian and Eastern European Club (REEC). The treasures, each pertaining to a different religion, belong to her and other members of the club .

Among those items were the Quran, Misbaha and Prayer Rug given to her by members of the club to represent the Muslim religion; the Menorah, Menorah Candles and Tallit (prayer shawl) for Judaism; the Black Madonna of Czestochowa, Poland to represent Roman Catholicism in eastern Europe; and to represent the Slavic Orthodox religion that she follows, she shared the Orthodox Cross, Bible, ceremonial candles, icons and the Communion Bread, called “prosvirkas.”

Through the presentation of her items, Orlova hopes to share the traditions and religions represented in those cultures.

“I am hoping to prove that regardless of all the differences in the religions and cultures, we all have something in common, and that is an inalienable feeling of belief and hope that we associate with something that we cherish, that is dear to our hearts and we are devoted to,” Orlova said.

This year the Unity Roundtable, a student group promoting diversity, hosted the Spiritual Treasures Showcase for the first time as part of Diversity Week, which is an annual event sponsored by Multicultural Student Affairs and the Unity Roundtable.

“Through Diversity Week, I think other students will be able to both recognize our similarities, and appreciate the differences that make us who we are, and embrace them both respectively,” said Mischael Cetoute, who serves as  the chairperson for the Spiritual Treasures Showcase.

Emily Dabau

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

Ebuka Izundu had a career night as the Canes took down Stephen F. Austin, 96-58. ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...