Campus Life, News

Dance marathon raises funds for Miami Children’s Hospital

Members of SwaggeRaas, UM’s Garba-Raas team, preform in the SAC ballroom during Sunday’s Dance Marathon event. Garba-Raas is traditional dance of the Gujarat state in India. University of Miami’s annual Dance Marathon (UMDM) aims to raise money and awareness for Children’s Miracle Network (CMN) hospitals. Past UM Dance Marathons have raised over $28,000 Miami Children’s Hospital, the local CMN hospital. This year, UMDM raised an additional $10,000.  The theme for this year’s Dance Marathon was “7 Continents - Dancing to Make a World of Difference.” Organizations such as SwaggeRass preformed while students took part in activities like mini golf and video games. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

Members of SwaggeRaas, UM’s Garba-Raas team, preform in the SAC ballroom during Sunday’s Dance Marathon event. Garba-Raas is traditional dance of the Gujarat state in India.
University of Miami’s annual Dance Marathon (UMDM) aims to raise money and awareness for Children’s Miracle Network (CMN) hospitals. Past UM Dance Marathons have raised over $28,000 Miami Children’s Hospital, the local CMN hospital. This year, UMDM raised an additional $10,000.
The theme for this year’s Dance Marathon was “7 Continents – Dancing to Make a World of Difference.” Organizations such as SwaggeRass preformed while students took part in activities like mini golf and video games. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

The University of Miami’s seventh annual Dance Marathon (UMDM), an event dedicated to raising funds for the Miami Children’s Hospital, brought together students to dance the night away at the Student Activities Center (SAC) ballrooms Sunday to benefit children.

A total of 318 dancers participated in UMDM, not including students who registered at the event. The dancing was in support of UMDM’s slogan: For the Kids, aiming to bring social awareness about the issue as well as provide financial and emotional aid to families and children being treated at Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals.

Miami Children’s Hospital survivor Ralphie, 5, walked onstage during the event while being cheered on by the group of members and students present. Ralphie represented the impact UMDM has on childrens’ lives through its fundraising initiatives.

Overall Co-Chairman Miranda Goot said the motivation behind UMDM was to build relationships between the campus and Miami Children’s Hospital.

“We hope to build a better relationship with the hospital and see students get more involved,” Goot said.

Goot said the children in the hospital network is what motivates her.

“The miracle children, that’s what got me the first year,” she said. “When the miracle kids came in you just stopped and you got it, it made sense, all the stress and craziness is totally worth it.”

Each year, UMDM tries to raise more many than the previous year. In 2013 the event raised approximately $11,000. This year, it raised $15,624.

“…That’s the goal: to do better every single year,” said Jade Wollschlaeger, campus life co-chairman.

UMDM is held every year in the fall. There is a registration fee to register, and all participants are encouraged to raise as much as possible for the hospital’s children.

“Miami Children’s Hospital and the Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals in general donate millions and millions of dollars for kids to have uncompensated care, which is incredible,” Goot said.

Fore more information on UMDM, visit canesdm.com.

Matilde Piana

Father, mother, and daughter will all be students at the University of Miami this fall semester. ...

UM weather expert and senior research associate Brian McNoldy explains the science behind lightning ...

As students make their way back to campus for the new school year, here’s a refresher on some of the ...

President Julio Frenk and student leaders formally welcome first-year and transfer students to campu ...

Marc Gellman, a University of Miami research associate professor, recounts his experience attending ...

On the final night of its trip abroad, the Miami men's basketball team defeated LCC Internation ...

Miami's defensive tackles have traditionally been some of the Hurricanes' best players, wh ...

Sophomores Brevin Jordan and Will Mallory look to follow in the footsteps of the greats before them ...

Jarren Williams stepped into the spotlight for the first time Tuesday as Miami's starting quart ...

Former Miami soccer player Dalanda Ouendeno is attempting to become the first foreign female pit cre ...