Campus Life, News

Dance marathon raises funds for Miami Children’s Hospital

Members of SwaggeRaas, UM’s Garba-Raas team, preform in the SAC ballroom during Sunday’s Dance Marathon event. Garba-Raas is traditional dance of the Gujarat state in India. University of Miami’s annual Dance Marathon (UMDM) aims to raise money and awareness for Children’s Miracle Network (CMN) hospitals. Past UM Dance Marathons have raised over $28,000 Miami Children’s Hospital, the local CMN hospital. This year, UMDM raised an additional $10,000.  The theme for this year’s Dance Marathon was “7 Continents - Dancing to Make a World of Difference.” Organizations such as SwaggeRass preformed while students took part in activities like mini golf and video games. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

Members of SwaggeRaas, UM’s Garba-Raas team, preform in the SAC ballroom during Sunday’s Dance Marathon event. Garba-Raas is traditional dance of the Gujarat state in India.
University of Miami’s annual Dance Marathon (UMDM) aims to raise money and awareness for Children’s Miracle Network (CMN) hospitals. Past UM Dance Marathons have raised over $28,000 Miami Children’s Hospital, the local CMN hospital. This year, UMDM raised an additional $10,000.
The theme for this year’s Dance Marathon was “7 Continents – Dancing to Make a World of Difference.” Organizations such as SwaggeRass preformed while students took part in activities like mini golf and video games. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

The University of Miami’s seventh annual Dance Marathon (UMDM), an event dedicated to raising funds for the Miami Children’s Hospital, brought together students to dance the night away at the Student Activities Center (SAC) ballrooms Sunday to benefit children.

A total of 318 dancers participated in UMDM, not including students who registered at the event. The dancing was in support of UMDM’s slogan: For the Kids, aiming to bring social awareness about the issue as well as provide financial and emotional aid to families and children being treated at Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals.

Miami Children’s Hospital survivor Ralphie, 5, walked onstage during the event while being cheered on by the group of members and students present. Ralphie represented the impact UMDM has on childrens’ lives through its fundraising initiatives.

Overall Co-Chairman Miranda Goot said the motivation behind UMDM was to build relationships between the campus and Miami Children’s Hospital.

“We hope to build a better relationship with the hospital and see students get more involved,” Goot said.

Goot said the children in the hospital network is what motivates her.

“The miracle children, that’s what got me the first year,” she said. “When the miracle kids came in you just stopped and you got it, it made sense, all the stress and craziness is totally worth it.”

Each year, UMDM tries to raise more many than the previous year. In 2013 the event raised approximately $11,000. This year, it raised $15,624.

“…That’s the goal: to do better every single year,” said Jade Wollschlaeger, campus life co-chairman.

UMDM is held every year in the fall. There is a registration fee to register, and all participants are encouraged to raise as much as possible for the hospital’s children.

“Miami Children’s Hospital and the Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals in general donate millions and millions of dollars for kids to have uncompensated care, which is incredible,” Goot said.

Fore more information on UMDM, visit canesdm.com.

Matilde Piana

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that lead her to signing ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...