Campus Life, News

Dance marathon raises funds for Miami Children’s Hospital

Members of SwaggeRaas, UM’s Garba-Raas team, preform in the SAC ballroom during Sunday’s Dance Marathon event. Garba-Raas is traditional dance of the Gujarat state in India. University of Miami’s annual Dance Marathon (UMDM) aims to raise money and awareness for Children’s Miracle Network (CMN) hospitals. Past UM Dance Marathons have raised over $28,000 Miami Children’s Hospital, the local CMN hospital. This year, UMDM raised an additional $10,000.  The theme for this year’s Dance Marathon was “7 Continents - Dancing to Make a World of Difference.” Organizations such as SwaggeRass preformed while students took part in activities like mini golf and video games. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

Members of SwaggeRaas, UM’s Garba-Raas team, preform in the SAC ballroom during Sunday’s Dance Marathon event. Garba-Raas is traditional dance of the Gujarat state in India.
University of Miami’s annual Dance Marathon (UMDM) aims to raise money and awareness for Children’s Miracle Network (CMN) hospitals. Past UM Dance Marathons have raised over $28,000 Miami Children’s Hospital, the local CMN hospital. This year, UMDM raised an additional $10,000.
The theme for this year’s Dance Marathon was “7 Continents – Dancing to Make a World of Difference.” Organizations such as SwaggeRass preformed while students took part in activities like mini golf and video games. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

The University of Miami’s seventh annual Dance Marathon (UMDM), an event dedicated to raising funds for the Miami Children’s Hospital, brought together students to dance the night away at the Student Activities Center (SAC) ballrooms Sunday to benefit children.

A total of 318 dancers participated in UMDM, not including students who registered at the event. The dancing was in support of UMDM’s slogan: For the Kids, aiming to bring social awareness about the issue as well as provide financial and emotional aid to families and children being treated at Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals.

Miami Children’s Hospital survivor Ralphie, 5, walked onstage during the event while being cheered on by the group of members and students present. Ralphie represented the impact UMDM has on childrens’ lives through its fundraising initiatives.

Overall Co-Chairman Miranda Goot said the motivation behind UMDM was to build relationships between the campus and Miami Children’s Hospital.

“We hope to build a better relationship with the hospital and see students get more involved,” Goot said.

Goot said the children in the hospital network is what motivates her.

“The miracle children, that’s what got me the first year,” she said. “When the miracle kids came in you just stopped and you got it, it made sense, all the stress and craziness is totally worth it.”

Each year, UMDM tries to raise more many than the previous year. In 2013 the event raised approximately $11,000. This year, it raised $15,624.

“…That’s the goal: to do better every single year,” said Jade Wollschlaeger, campus life co-chairman.

UMDM is held every year in the fall. There is a registration fee to register, and all participants are encouraged to raise as much as possible for the hospital’s children.

“Miami Children’s Hospital and the Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals in general donate millions and millions of dollars for kids to have uncompensated care, which is incredible,” Goot said.

Fore more information on UMDM, visit canesdm.com.

Matilde Piana

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The 2019-20 college basketball season is more than six months away, but the University of Miami Hurr ...

The University of Miami spring game Saturday will be here before you know it, and right about now, c ...

With about a third of the regular season left, the Miami Hurricanes baseball team is on the rise and ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

The Canes will battle the Cardinals this weekend in a battle of ranked ACC foes. ...

Michelle Atherley earned the University of Miami track and field program's fourth ACC outdoor h ...

Canes' recruiting class now stands 25th in 247Sports Composite Ranking. ...

Miami head women's basketball coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the signing of Moulayna Joh ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Championship action Thu ...