Campus Life, News

Dance marathon raises funds for Miami Children’s Hospital

Members of SwaggeRaas, UM’s Garba-Raas team, preform in the SAC ballroom during Sunday’s Dance Marathon event. Garba-Raas is traditional dance of the Gujarat state in India. University of Miami’s annual Dance Marathon (UMDM) aims to raise money and awareness for Children’s Miracle Network (CMN) hospitals. Past UM Dance Marathons have raised over $28,000 Miami Children’s Hospital, the local CMN hospital. This year, UMDM raised an additional $10,000.  The theme for this year’s Dance Marathon was “7 Continents - Dancing to Make a World of Difference.” Organizations such as SwaggeRass preformed while students took part in activities like mini golf and video games. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

Members of SwaggeRaas, UM’s Garba-Raas team, preform in the SAC ballroom during Sunday’s Dance Marathon event. Garba-Raas is traditional dance of the Gujarat state in India.
University of Miami’s annual Dance Marathon (UMDM) aims to raise money and awareness for Children’s Miracle Network (CMN) hospitals. Past UM Dance Marathons have raised over $28,000 Miami Children’s Hospital, the local CMN hospital. This year, UMDM raised an additional $10,000.
The theme for this year’s Dance Marathon was “7 Continents – Dancing to Make a World of Difference.” Organizations such as SwaggeRass preformed while students took part in activities like mini golf and video games. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

The University of Miami’s seventh annual Dance Marathon (UMDM), an event dedicated to raising funds for the Miami Children’s Hospital, brought together students to dance the night away at the Student Activities Center (SAC) ballrooms Sunday to benefit children.

A total of 318 dancers participated in UMDM, not including students who registered at the event. The dancing was in support of UMDM’s slogan: For the Kids, aiming to bring social awareness about the issue as well as provide financial and emotional aid to families and children being treated at Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals.

Miami Children’s Hospital survivor Ralphie, 5, walked onstage during the event while being cheered on by the group of members and students present. Ralphie represented the impact UMDM has on childrens’ lives through its fundraising initiatives.

Overall Co-Chairman Miranda Goot said the motivation behind UMDM was to build relationships between the campus and Miami Children’s Hospital.

“We hope to build a better relationship with the hospital and see students get more involved,” Goot said.

Goot said the children in the hospital network is what motivates her.

“The miracle children, that’s what got me the first year,” she said. “When the miracle kids came in you just stopped and you got it, it made sense, all the stress and craziness is totally worth it.”

Each year, UMDM tries to raise more many than the previous year. In 2013 the event raised approximately $11,000. This year, it raised $15,624.

“…That’s the goal: to do better every single year,” said Jade Wollschlaeger, campus life co-chairman.

UMDM is held every year in the fall. There is a registration fee to register, and all participants are encouraged to raise as much as possible for the hospital’s children.

“Miami Children’s Hospital and the Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals in general donate millions and millions of dollars for kids to have uncompensated care, which is incredible,” Goot said.

Fore more information on UMDM, visit canesdm.com.

Matilde Piana

The Marlins — along with a handful of other teams — haven’t signed a single player from another team ...

The 2019 Miami Hurricanes coaching staff is now in place and ready to rumble. Though the Hurricanes ...

The last time Tyree St. Louis played something other than tackle, by coincidence, was the last time ...

Manny Diaz might as well have been the head of the National Weather Service on Tuesday. At 7:27 p.m. ...

Even after landing Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, the Hurricanes aren’t done looking for quarterb ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

The singer, songwriter, actress, and entrepreneur will share insights and advice from her more than ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...

The Miami women's basketball team earned its first victory at Cameron Indoor Stadium with a 58- ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...