Art, Edge

Artistic installation provides relaxation site from college pressures

With the holiday season and the dreaded finals week just around the corner, it seems like everyone could use a little stress relief. An afternoon of herbal tea, guided meditation and introspection might be just what the doctor ordered for University of Miami students contemplating the rush to the end of the semester. Hosted in the Perez Art Museum Miami’s (PAMM) Learning theatre, New York City based artist’s collective Yemenwed’s EMPATHEATRE installation provides a relaxing respite from campus pressures.

Founded in 2006, Yemenwed has performed in venues around the country and nationwide, creating multi-disciplinary works which explore the blending of theatricality with the mundane, with a particular emphasis on themes from popular culture. EMPATHEATRE is the culmination of Yemenwed’s residency at Cannonball, a Miami-based arts organization, sponsored by PAMM’s Researcher-in-Residency program.

EMPATHEATRE is intended to integrate cultural themes of wellness and mindfulness with performance. At the Empathy Sessions, audience members are invited to participate in a collaborative, meditative experience, which blends focus on the individual with focus on the whole. The experience begins with a make-shift tea ceremony where members of Yemenwed pass out cups of aromatic tea made from local hibiscus, rose and basil. The performance aspect then begins with a narration exploring the importance of water to human life, underscoring the meditation of Yemenwed artists on the stage.

Next, audience members are led through a group meditation, which begins with focus on the breath, but moves even further to encourage the crowd to attempt to feel the pulsation of their cells. The event culminates in an immersive experience in which pairs of willing participants are led up onstage, brushed with a stress-relieving branch, and allowed to lay in the “relaxation chambers” on either side of the stage for several minutes.

Cynics beware: You’ll find more at which to roll your eyes than appreciate at the EMPATHEATRE. However, for those looking to get in touch with their spiritual side, Yemenwed’s Empathy Sessions are a refreshing break from the hectic pace of college life.

IF YOU GO:

Yemenwed’s Empathy Sessions at the EMPATHEATRE

Where: Perez Art Museum Miami, 1103 Biscayne Blvd., Miami, FL 33132

When: 4-6 p.m., Tuesday, Nov. 11

Cost: Free with museum admission ($12 for students and seniors, $16 for adults)

For more information, call 305-375-3000 or visit pamm.org.

Madelyn Paquette

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

Ebuka Izundu had a career night as the Canes took down Stephen F. Austin, 96-58. ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...