Art, Edge

Artistic installation provides relaxation site from college pressures

With the holiday season and the dreaded finals week just around the corner, it seems like everyone could use a little stress relief. An afternoon of herbal tea, guided meditation and introspection might be just what the doctor ordered for University of Miami students contemplating the rush to the end of the semester. Hosted in the Perez Art Museum Miami’s (PAMM) Learning theatre, New York City based artist’s collective Yemenwed’s EMPATHEATRE installation provides a relaxing respite from campus pressures.

Founded in 2006, Yemenwed has performed in venues around the country and nationwide, creating multi-disciplinary works which explore the blending of theatricality with the mundane, with a particular emphasis on themes from popular culture. EMPATHEATRE is the culmination of Yemenwed’s residency at Cannonball, a Miami-based arts organization, sponsored by PAMM’s Researcher-in-Residency program.

EMPATHEATRE is intended to integrate cultural themes of wellness and mindfulness with performance. At the Empathy Sessions, audience members are invited to participate in a collaborative, meditative experience, which blends focus on the individual with focus on the whole. The experience begins with a make-shift tea ceremony where members of Yemenwed pass out cups of aromatic tea made from local hibiscus, rose and basil. The performance aspect then begins with a narration exploring the importance of water to human life, underscoring the meditation of Yemenwed artists on the stage.

Next, audience members are led through a group meditation, which begins with focus on the breath, but moves even further to encourage the crowd to attempt to feel the pulsation of their cells. The event culminates in an immersive experience in which pairs of willing participants are led up onstage, brushed with a stress-relieving branch, and allowed to lay in the “relaxation chambers” on either side of the stage for several minutes.

Cynics beware: You’ll find more at which to roll your eyes than appreciate at the EMPATHEATRE. However, for those looking to get in touch with their spiritual side, Yemenwed’s Empathy Sessions are a refreshing break from the hectic pace of college life.

IF YOU GO:

Yemenwed’s Empathy Sessions at the EMPATHEATRE

Where: Perez Art Museum Miami, 1103 Biscayne Blvd., Miami, FL 33132

When: 4-6 p.m., Tuesday, Nov. 11

Cost: Free with museum admission ($12 for students and seniors, $16 for adults)

For more information, call 305-375-3000 or visit pamm.org.

Madelyn Paquette

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...