Sports, Volleyball

Team beats Cavaliers despite slow start

Senior Savanah Leaf spikes the ball during Sunday’s game against Virginia. Leaf led the team with 17 kills, helping the Canes defeat the Cavaliers 3-1. Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

The Miami Hurricanes women’s volleyball team wasn’t used to matches going past the minimum of three sets.

When the team got off to a slow start, some spectators thought the match might go three to zero in favor of the visiting Virginia Cavaliers.

However, the Hurricanes clawed its way back to contest the first set and then swept the next three to upend the Cavaliers in four sets: 23-25, 25-17, 25-21 and 25-19.

It had been more than three weeks since the last time Miami had played more than three sets in a match.

If the team had not started off slowly, going down 8-3 and 16-9 in the first set, the Hurricanes likely would have won in three again.

“It wasn’t how we wanted to start out the match,” said redshirt sophomore Kelsie Groot said. “But we almost came back in the first set and it’s good knowing that going down early doesn’t mean we’re out of the match. We didn’t play our best today, but it was a good win for us.”

Groot was the best player for the Hurricanes, finishing third on the team in kills and overall points while only making one attacking error to lead the team with a hit percentage of .500. She had 10 kills and 10 digs.

All-ACC senior Savanah Leaf, fresh off all-district accolades, had another great game for the Canes, leading the team with 17 kills. She also had seven digs and committed five attacking errors.

Junior Taylor Scott had 12 kills and 14 digs, tied for the team lead with freshman Sylvia Hernandez.

Senior Tori Janowski was the best player on the opposing side, leading the Cavaliers with 16 kills. She did, however, commit nine attacking errors.

Sophomores Haley Kole and Jasmine Burton combined for 29 kills and just five errors, but the Hurricanes were too strong in this Sunday matchup.

The Hurricanes had five more serving aces than their opponents and nine more blocks, the latter of which especially stuck out as the Cavaliers were held block-less in the final set.

The Cavaliers travel back to Charlottesville to take on in-state rival Virginia Tech on Friday.

The Hurricanes travel up to Pittsburgh for a 7 p.m. match Friday.

Alexander Green

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...