Sports, Volleyball

Team beats Cavaliers despite slow start

Senior Savanah Leaf spikes the ball during Sunday’s game against Virginia. Leaf led the team with 17 kills, helping the Canes defeat the Cavaliers 3-1. Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

The Miami Hurricanes women’s volleyball team wasn’t used to matches going past the minimum of three sets.

When the team got off to a slow start, some spectators thought the match might go three to zero in favor of the visiting Virginia Cavaliers.

However, the Hurricanes clawed its way back to contest the first set and then swept the next three to upend the Cavaliers in four sets: 23-25, 25-17, 25-21 and 25-19.

It had been more than three weeks since the last time Miami had played more than three sets in a match.

If the team had not started off slowly, going down 8-3 and 16-9 in the first set, the Hurricanes likely would have won in three again.

“It wasn’t how we wanted to start out the match,” said redshirt sophomore Kelsie Groot said. “But we almost came back in the first set and it’s good knowing that going down early doesn’t mean we’re out of the match. We didn’t play our best today, but it was a good win for us.”

Groot was the best player for the Hurricanes, finishing third on the team in kills and overall points while only making one attacking error to lead the team with a hit percentage of .500. She had 10 kills and 10 digs.

All-ACC senior Savanah Leaf, fresh off all-district accolades, had another great game for the Canes, leading the team with 17 kills. She also had seven digs and committed five attacking errors.

Junior Taylor Scott had 12 kills and 14 digs, tied for the team lead with freshman Sylvia Hernandez.

Senior Tori Janowski was the best player on the opposing side, leading the Cavaliers with 16 kills. She did, however, commit nine attacking errors.

Sophomores Haley Kole and Jasmine Burton combined for 29 kills and just five errors, but the Hurricanes were too strong in this Sunday matchup.

The Hurricanes had five more serving aces than their opponents and nine more blocks, the latter of which especially stuck out as the Cavaliers were held block-less in the final set.

The Cavaliers travel back to Charlottesville to take on in-state rival Virginia Tech on Friday.

The Hurricanes travel up to Pittsburgh for a 7 p.m. match Friday.

Alexander Green

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

View photos from the Bethune-Cookman wildcats at Miami Hurricanes in a NCAA college basketball game ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...