Sports, Tennis

Fall schedule comes to successful close

As the women’s tennis team’s fall schedule comes to a close, junior Stephanie Wagner continues her dominant efforts in every match she plays.

On Saturday, Wagner fell in an arduous 6-3, 7-6 (4) loss to No. 43-ranked Maegan Manasse of the University of California at Berkeley in the semifinals.

Despite the earlier-than-usual exit from the bracket, No. 18-ranked Wagner and the rest of the Hurricanes women’s tennis team closed out a stellar fall season at the ITA National Indoor Intercollegiate Championships at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center.

Before the semifinal loss, Wagner bested both the second seed of the tournament and, more notably, the No. 7-ranked Chanelle Van Nguyen of UCLA, 6-2, 6-4. In doubles play, Wagner and senior partner Lina Lileikite pulled out a 6-3, 7-6 (5) victory over the University of Michigan after a first-round bye.

Wagner has been the most standout player on the roster this season, but Lileikite and freshman Sinead Lohan are also weapons to look for in the coming semester.

The doubles team of Wagner and Lileikite, combined with veterans Monique Albuquerque and Clementina Riobueno, will make for powerful opponents in doubles play. Lohan has proven strong in both singles and doubles play, making her a versatile asset for all styles of play.

This tournament brings the fall season to a close. The Hurricanes will spend the rest of the semester preparing for one-on-one matches as opposed to tournaments. Their first match will be in January.

Alexa Pappas

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...