Sports, Tennis

Fall schedule comes to successful close

As the women’s tennis team’s fall schedule comes to a close, junior Stephanie Wagner continues her dominant efforts in every match she plays.

On Saturday, Wagner fell in an arduous 6-3, 7-6 (4) loss to No. 43-ranked Maegan Manasse of the University of California at Berkeley in the semifinals.

Despite the earlier-than-usual exit from the bracket, No. 18-ranked Wagner and the rest of the Hurricanes women’s tennis team closed out a stellar fall season at the ITA National Indoor Intercollegiate Championships at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center.

Before the semifinal loss, Wagner bested both the second seed of the tournament and, more notably, the No. 7-ranked Chanelle Van Nguyen of UCLA, 6-2, 6-4. In doubles play, Wagner and senior partner Lina Lileikite pulled out a 6-3, 7-6 (5) victory over the University of Michigan after a first-round bye.

Wagner has been the most standout player on the roster this season, but Lileikite and freshman Sinead Lohan are also weapons to look for in the coming semester.

The doubles team of Wagner and Lileikite, combined with veterans Monique Albuquerque and Clementina Riobueno, will make for powerful opponents in doubles play. Lohan has proven strong in both singles and doubles play, making her a versatile asset for all styles of play.

This tournament brings the fall season to a close. The Hurricanes will spend the rest of the semester preparing for one-on-one matches as opposed to tournaments. Their first match will be in January.

Alexa Pappas

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that lead her to signing ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...