Enhance classes with extra effort

Class registration is well underway, and before winter comes, we’re already looking ahead toward the spring 2015 semester. What would we do differently to enhance our academic experiences?

For some, the answer might be a change of major or the adoption of a new minor. But if you just want to get more out of your classes, it can be difficult to determine how.

With the honors program to be phased out in the next four years, this is an ideal opportunity for students and faculty to collaborate on developing another comprehensive academic program.

Honors courses still exist, but are so concentrated in particular subject areas — 35 out of the 111 honors class sections in the spring are in biology — that they are not viable options for all students looking for a challenge. Students with majors not well-represented under the remnants of the general honors label may discover, however, that their departments have their own honors programs.

The English and History departments in the College of Arts and Sciences, for instance, offer a track where students complete a senior thesis under the supervision of a faculty member. The School of Communication also has its own honors program.

But the word “honors” should not be the sole determinant of whether a course is enriching.

In smaller classes, students often feel freer to participate in discussion, and it may be worth seeking out such a class even outside your own major for the valuable interactions it can facilitate.

After all, there is more to school than the facts you cram into your head.

According to a 2014 Gallup survey of 29,560 college graduates, having a professor who cared for them and encouraged them to chase their dreams more than doubled chances of eventual satisfaction in the workplace. Maybe the professor who will make you excited about learning teaches in the art department, or math, or anthropology, or any other uncharted territory, as the case may be.

Ultimately, classes are what you make of them. Rather than stressing about whether the courses you’re taking are the “right” ones, put in the effort to making sure that they are. Whatever classes you decide to take, they can only pay you back what you put in.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...