Sports, Swimming/Diving

Canes earn first victory of season during home meet

Junior Madison Qualy prepares to take the water during Saturday’s swimming and diving meet against Illinois State. The Canes won the home opener 164-135. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

The Miami Hurricanes swimming and diving team enjoyed the first victory of the season Saturday afternoon.

The Canes bested Illinois State at home 164 to 135. The win was a breath of fresh air after a tough loss in their last dual meet away versus Florida Gulf Coast University (FGCU).

Not only was the meet the first time the team has won first place, it was also their first home meet.

“It’s special to come through for the fans and students with them here cheering us on,” Head Swimming Coach Andy Kershaw said.

The win was a true team effort, with seven different swimmers and divers earning at least one first-place finish. Also, the relay team made up of senior Heather Arseth, sophomore Angela Algee, senior Amy Wiley and junior My Fridell took first place in both the 200-yard Medley relay and the 400-yard Freestlyle relay.

“Balance is really important for us because we have a very small team,” Kershaw said. “It’s big. We need every single person. We’ve got leaders all throughout the pool that are driving their teammates forward.”

Sophomore Cameron Davis, who had two first-place finishes against FGCU, led the team by finishing first in two events. She was first to touch the wall in the 1,000-yard freestyle an impressive 24.09 seconds before the second-place finisher. She also took first in the 500-yard freestyle, finishing 8.29 seconds before second place finisher Kristin Verkler of Illinois State.

Veteran swimmers Arseth and Fridell continued to show leadership Saturday with impressive first place finishes. Arseth won the 100-yard backstroke and Fridell, the 100-yard butterfly.

Younger swimmers Julie Suarez and Julia Schippert also contributed to the win with first and second place finishes in the 200-yard backstroke.

After the win, Kershaw and team members looked to the future.

“As I told our team afterward, we just won our first meet of the year, and that kicks it off, but now we need to keep the momentum going, keep earning it and keep rolling forward,” Kershaw said.

The team hopes they can “keep rolling forward” in their next meet, the Georgia Tech invitational on Nov. 20 to 21 in Atlanta.

Rachel Cox-Rosen

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are transforming weather forecasts by creating a seasonal for ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that it has agreed to a home football gam ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...