Sports, Swimming/Diving

Canes earn first victory of season during home meet

Junior Madison Qualy prepares to take the water during Saturday’s swimming and diving meet against Illinois State. The Canes won the home opener 164-135. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

The Miami Hurricanes swimming and diving team enjoyed the first victory of the season Saturday afternoon.

The Canes bested Illinois State at home 164 to 135. The win was a breath of fresh air after a tough loss in their last dual meet away versus Florida Gulf Coast University (FGCU).

Not only was the meet the first time the team has won first place, it was also their first home meet.

“It’s special to come through for the fans and students with them here cheering us on,” Head Swimming Coach Andy Kershaw said.

The win was a true team effort, with seven different swimmers and divers earning at least one first-place finish. Also, the relay team made up of senior Heather Arseth, sophomore Angela Algee, senior Amy Wiley and junior My Fridell took first place in both the 200-yard Medley relay and the 400-yard Freestlyle relay.

“Balance is really important for us because we have a very small team,” Kershaw said. “It’s big. We need every single person. We’ve got leaders all throughout the pool that are driving their teammates forward.”

Sophomore Cameron Davis, who had two first-place finishes against FGCU, led the team by finishing first in two events. She was first to touch the wall in the 1,000-yard freestyle an impressive 24.09 seconds before the second-place finisher. She also took first in the 500-yard freestyle, finishing 8.29 seconds before second place finisher Kristin Verkler of Illinois State.

Veteran swimmers Arseth and Fridell continued to show leadership Saturday with impressive first place finishes. Arseth won the 100-yard backstroke and Fridell, the 100-yard butterfly.

Younger swimmers Julie Suarez and Julia Schippert also contributed to the win with first and second place finishes in the 200-yard backstroke.

After the win, Kershaw and team members looked to the future.

“As I told our team afterward, we just won our first meet of the year, and that kicks it off, but now we need to keep the momentum going, keep earning it and keep rolling forward,” Kershaw said.

The team hopes they can “keep rolling forward” in their next meet, the Georgia Tech invitational on Nov. 20 to 21 in Atlanta.

Rachel Cox-Rosen

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship one of th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...