Sports, Swimming/Diving

Canes earn first victory of season during home meet

Junior Madison Qualy prepares to take the water during Saturday’s swimming and diving meet against Illinois State. The Canes won the home opener 164-135. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

The Miami Hurricanes swimming and diving team enjoyed the first victory of the season Saturday afternoon.

The Canes bested Illinois State at home 164 to 135. The win was a breath of fresh air after a tough loss in their last dual meet away versus Florida Gulf Coast University (FGCU).

Not only was the meet the first time the team has won first place, it was also their first home meet.

“It’s special to come through for the fans and students with them here cheering us on,” Head Swimming Coach Andy Kershaw said.

The win was a true team effort, with seven different swimmers and divers earning at least one first-place finish. Also, the relay team made up of senior Heather Arseth, sophomore Angela Algee, senior Amy Wiley and junior My Fridell took first place in both the 200-yard Medley relay and the 400-yard Freestlyle relay.

“Balance is really important for us because we have a very small team,” Kershaw said. “It’s big. We need every single person. We’ve got leaders all throughout the pool that are driving their teammates forward.”

Sophomore Cameron Davis, who had two first-place finishes against FGCU, led the team by finishing first in two events. She was first to touch the wall in the 1,000-yard freestyle an impressive 24.09 seconds before the second-place finisher. She also took first in the 500-yard freestyle, finishing 8.29 seconds before second place finisher Kristin Verkler of Illinois State.

Veteran swimmers Arseth and Fridell continued to show leadership Saturday with impressive first place finishes. Arseth won the 100-yard backstroke and Fridell, the 100-yard butterfly.

Younger swimmers Julie Suarez and Julia Schippert also contributed to the win with first and second place finishes in the 200-yard backstroke.

After the win, Kershaw and team members looked to the future.

“As I told our team afterward, we just won our first meet of the year, and that kicks it off, but now we need to keep the momentum going, keep earning it and keep rolling forward,” Kershaw said.

The team hopes they can “keep rolling forward” in their next meet, the Georgia Tech invitational on Nov. 20 to 21 in Atlanta.

Rachel Cox-Rosen

Even after snagging Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, UM has remained highly aggressive in its pursu ...

As the NFL’s conference finals were unfolding Sunday, Manny Diaz – the UM coach who doubles as a soc ...

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team was named the ACC Player of the Week, ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team improved to 3-0 on the season following a 6-1 triumph ...