Sports, Swimming/Diving

Canes earn first victory of season during home meet

Junior Madison Qualy prepares to take the water during Saturday’s swimming and diving meet against Illinois State. The Canes won the home opener 164-135. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

The Miami Hurricanes swimming and diving team enjoyed the first victory of the season Saturday afternoon.

The Canes bested Illinois State at home 164 to 135. The win was a breath of fresh air after a tough loss in their last dual meet away versus Florida Gulf Coast University (FGCU).

Not only was the meet the first time the team has won first place, it was also their first home meet.

“It’s special to come through for the fans and students with them here cheering us on,” Head Swimming Coach Andy Kershaw said.

The win was a true team effort, with seven different swimmers and divers earning at least one first-place finish. Also, the relay team made up of senior Heather Arseth, sophomore Angela Algee, senior Amy Wiley and junior My Fridell took first place in both the 200-yard Medley relay and the 400-yard Freestlyle relay.

“Balance is really important for us because we have a very small team,” Kershaw said. “It’s big. We need every single person. We’ve got leaders all throughout the pool that are driving their teammates forward.”

Sophomore Cameron Davis, who had two first-place finishes against FGCU, led the team by finishing first in two events. She was first to touch the wall in the 1,000-yard freestyle an impressive 24.09 seconds before the second-place finisher. She also took first in the 500-yard freestyle, finishing 8.29 seconds before second place finisher Kristin Verkler of Illinois State.

Veteran swimmers Arseth and Fridell continued to show leadership Saturday with impressive first place finishes. Arseth won the 100-yard backstroke and Fridell, the 100-yard butterfly.

Younger swimmers Julie Suarez and Julia Schippert also contributed to the win with first and second place finishes in the 200-yard backstroke.

After the win, Kershaw and team members looked to the future.

“As I told our team afterward, we just won our first meet of the year, and that kicks it off, but now we need to keep the momentum going, keep earning it and keep rolling forward,” Kershaw said.

The team hopes they can “keep rolling forward” in their next meet, the Georgia Tech invitational on Nov. 20 to 21 in Atlanta.

Rachel Cox-Rosen

The word “swag” was mentioned multiple times Tuesday at the inaugural Miami Hurricanes spring practi ...

How did Tate Martell’s Phoenix-based attorney, Travis Leach, convince the NCAA to permit Martell to ...

After a quick courtship, Daran Branch is the newest member of the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020. A ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ high-profile quarterback competition just got super spicy. Tate Martell, the 2 ...

Lots of Hurricanes nuggets on the first day of spring practice: ▪ The UM offense officially entered ...

Watch a video about the Annual Senior Showcase involving students in the Theatre Arts Program. ...

Become one in a million. Join the All of Us research program. ...

With Florida lifting the ban on smokable medical marijuana, the nursing school’s Denise Vidot answer ...

Three School of Architecture students recount their first day in Switzerland, and some of the archit ...

In the aftermath of the powerful tornado that devastated a rural Alabama community, a UM storm exper ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that the National Collegiate Athletic Ass ...

Hear from the Hurricanes as they opened up day one of spring football inside the IPF. ...

The Miami women's basketball team received a No. 4-seed in the NCAA Tournament and will host th ...

Miami rises 13 spots to No. 23 nationally. ...

Going a perfect 5-0 in doubles action, freshmen Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias collected Miami ...