Edge, Music

Singer-songwriter Bryant Del Toro offers self-taught talent

Local singer-songwriter Bryant Del Toro’s debut EP, “Things That Used To Be,” made its digital release Sept. 4. Now available on most digital stores including iTunes, Spotify and Amazon Music, this EP is worth checking out.

Del Toro, 26, is Miami through and through. Despite his Venezuelan and Hispanic background, Del Toro was raised listening to mostly American influences. Like many of today’s guitarists, he says his biggest inspiration was John Mayer, who motivated him to pick up a guitar and figure it out on his own during a boring summer with family in North Carolina.

Without formal training, Del Toro continued to progress his skills through friends and YouTube lessons. Whatever is said about YouTube, it has worked out for Del Toro, whose axe skills shine through every track on “Things That Used To Be.”

This EP is a retrospective of much of Del Toro’s previous work from his early 20s, which was never recorded. He says these songs have resonated with a lot of his fans, so he decided to hard press them as a memento to “who [he]was at the time.”

His live sets are usually acoustic, but “Things That Used To Be” is fully arranged and produced. Songs like “Red Light District” and “Heard You Wrong,” which feature a full horn section, benefit hugely from the recording process. “Optimistic Reggae” also shines with its stacked guitar lines and a nice Hammond organ part.

If these songs become part of a full length LP, it would be nice to see Del Toro continue adding parts, and continue using session artists to bring in a real string section on “Invisible Man.”

Del Toro definitely carries a Bruno Mars vibe. His voice is in the same, high-for-men register and tambour. His song subjects and lyrical style are also pretty similar. “Optimistic Reggae” is Del Toro’s “Lazy Song” with that snappy, off-beat guitar and “don’t-care” attitude. He’s pop-y, but not too pop-y.

The songs have their catchy riffs and choruses, and they all fit the radio play time frame, but it’s clear that isn’t Del Toro’s main goal. He’s above that. He wants to write music that allows him to connect to people and make a living, but the fame isn’t all that important, which allows the music to be the focus.

Check out bryantdeltoro.com and Bryant Del Toro’s Facebook page for upcoming events. He is planning a tour for this spring, but no dates have been announced.

Featured photo courtesy Bryant Del Toro on Facebook.

Nick Sirio

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...