Featured, Opinion

Diva status is earned, not given

At this year’s On The Run Tour, featuring Jay-Z and his superstar wife Beyonce, “Don’t worry, be Yonce” was a popular shirt of concert-goers. “Queen B” is worshipped by women and men alike for her killer dance moves, amazing vocal talent and her self-confident attitude and aura. You’d be pretty hard-pressed to find someone who says they wouldn’t want to be Beyonce.

In fact, she knows you want to be her. In her song, “***Flawless,” off of her latest album, “Beyonce,” she sings, “I know when you were little girls/ you dreamt of being in my world/ don’t forget it don’t forget it/ respect that, bow down b*tches.”

These lyrics reflect the alpha, diva quality we love and expect from Beyonce. When listening to songs like “***Flawless,” it’s easy to feel the same empowerment and confidence Beyonce preaches, but just like wearing denim on denim, just because Beyonce does it, doesn’t necessarily mean you can too.

There’s a difference between being a strong woman and being a total diva. Beyonce balances the brash bravado of “***Flawless” with a feminist speech by Nigerian writer Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie in the middle of the song, which adds merit to her “I’m so crown” attitude. If you tried to emulate Beyonce by telling others to “bow down,” you would be chided rather than celebrated.

Recently, Ariana Grande has been getting flak for her diva antics, such as being rude to fans, demanding to see each frame of her photo shoots and refusing to allow the right side of her face to be photographed. This behavior has elicited Grande a lot of negative press, and even furthered comparisons to the original diva, Mariah Carey. (Don’t think of comparing Grande to Carey in an interview, though; that is “off limits.”)

Grande comes off as a prima donna, while Beyonce comes off as self-assured and, yes, even flawless. While it’s OK to have high standards, make sure they’re backed up with some substance.

Beyonce has worked hard in the industry for many years to build up to her status as a deity of music. We permit Beyonce’s diva behavior because her talent and admirable actions for all the years she’s been in the public eye speak for themselves. Similar to us college students, Ariana Grande has a lot of talent and potential, but has a way to get to superstar status. She has not done enough with her life yet to act like the egomaniac diva she is.

So while you may be doing great things now, or think that you deserve great things to happen to you, wait a little bit to act like a full-blown diva. Perhaps this generation’s guideline of being “less of a Marilyn and more of a Jackie” is “always be Yonce, never a Grande.”

Kelly Brody is a sophomore majoring in journalism.

Featured photo courtesy José Goulão from Lisbon, Portuga via Wikimedia Commons.

Kelly Brody

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

While the University of Miami awaits what quarterback it will get Feb. 6 on National Signing Day, ne ...

It appears the University of Miami football program has found its answer to intelligent, energetic, ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up play on its first weekend of competition Sunday ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up play at the Miami Spring Invite Sunday, wi ...

Chris Lykes scored 25 points as Miami got past Wake Forest. ...