Featured, Opinion

Diva status is earned, not given

At this year’s On The Run Tour, featuring Jay-Z and his superstar wife Beyonce, “Don’t worry, be Yonce” was a popular shirt of concert-goers. “Queen B” is worshipped by women and men alike for her killer dance moves, amazing vocal talent and her self-confident attitude and aura. You’d be pretty hard-pressed to find someone who says they wouldn’t want to be Beyonce.

In fact, she knows you want to be her. In her song, “***Flawless,” off of her latest album, “Beyonce,” she sings, “I know when you were little girls/ you dreamt of being in my world/ don’t forget it don’t forget it/ respect that, bow down b*tches.”

These lyrics reflect the alpha, diva quality we love and expect from Beyonce. When listening to songs like “***Flawless,” it’s easy to feel the same empowerment and confidence Beyonce preaches, but just like wearing denim on denim, just because Beyonce does it, doesn’t necessarily mean you can too.

There’s a difference between being a strong woman and being a total diva. Beyonce balances the brash bravado of “***Flawless” with a feminist speech by Nigerian writer Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie in the middle of the song, which adds merit to her “I’m so crown” attitude. If you tried to emulate Beyonce by telling others to “bow down,” you would be chided rather than celebrated.

Recently, Ariana Grande has been getting flak for her diva antics, such as being rude to fans, demanding to see each frame of her photo shoots and refusing to allow the right side of her face to be photographed. This behavior has elicited Grande a lot of negative press, and even furthered comparisons to the original diva, Mariah Carey. (Don’t think of comparing Grande to Carey in an interview, though; that is “off limits.”)

Grande comes off as a prima donna, while Beyonce comes off as self-assured and, yes, even flawless. While it’s OK to have high standards, make sure they’re backed up with some substance.

Beyonce has worked hard in the industry for many years to build up to her status as a deity of music. We permit Beyonce’s diva behavior because her talent and admirable actions for all the years she’s been in the public eye speak for themselves. Similar to us college students, Ariana Grande has a lot of talent and potential, but has a way to get to superstar status. She has not done enough with her life yet to act like the egomaniac diva she is.

So while you may be doing great things now, or think that you deserve great things to happen to you, wait a little bit to act like a full-blown diva. Perhaps this generation’s guideline of being “less of a Marilyn and more of a Jackie” is “always be Yonce, never a Grande.”

Kelly Brody is a sophomore majoring in journalism.

Featured photo courtesy José Goulão from Lisbon, Portuga via Wikimedia Commons.

Kelly Brody

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Michael Amditis tied a career-high with three hits and a homer to help the #24 Canes sweep FIU. ...

Miami earns sixth seed in Cle Elum Regional, hosted by the University of Washington. ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...