National News, News

Campus Republicans, Democrats react to Florida election results

Midterm elections in Florida resulted in the win of Republican incumbent Rick Scott. The results, announced Tuesday night, also show a Republican majority in Congress.

The election had a positive response from UM College Republicans (UMCR), who were proud that their campaigning efforts paid off.

“We spent countless hours knocking on doors and making phone calls with the Republican Party to make sure we kept Florida working with governor Rick Scott, and so of course we are thrilled to see him in office for another four years,” said Olivia Escandell, PR chair for UMCR.

Members of the University of Miami Young and College Democrats (UMYCD) were unsatisfied with the results due to the continuation of Rick Scott’s term as Florida governor.

“We are extremely disappointed in the results of yesterday’s election,” said UMYCD President Ishtpreet Singh. “While our efforts helped lead to a blue Miami-Dade, we had hoped that Floridians as a whole would have turned out in stronger numbers to express their dissatisfaction with the current leadership.”

Amendment One was passed, therefore allowing for 33 percent of net revenue from the existing excise tax on documents to be put into the Land Acquisition Trust Fund for 20 years.

UMCR was pleased to see the passage of the first proposition.

“Republicans do love the environment and we are glad that voters are behind efforts to protect this beautiful state that God has made for us to enjoy,” Escandell said.

The second amendment regarding the legalization of medical marijuana was not passed. It lost by a three percent margin; it needed 60 percent of votes to pass but only received 57. The total votes against the legalization of medical marijuana was 42 percent.

Both UMCR and UMYCD did not expect the amendment to be rejected.

“The majority of Floridians were in support of the idea,” Singh said.

Republicans now lead in Congress with 52 seats in the Senate and 244 seats in the House of Representatives. So far, there is also a Republican lead with regards to state governors with 31 seats filled by republicans and 17 by democrats.

“We are thrilled to have party majority in both houses for the first time in 8 years, but unfortunately realize that despite the will of the people in voting in conservative representation, we will need to look out for Obama passing executive orders and going against the people’s will during his last 2 years in office,” Escandell said.

Featured photo courtesy “CAVE CANEM” via Flickr.

Matilde Piana

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

The Liaison Committee on Medical Education approved plans developed by the Miller School of Medicine ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

Muslim Students of the University of Miami will hold a prayer service at 12:45 p.m. Friday at the La ...

The theme of the 48th annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

Make no mistake about it – the college paths of this dynamic Miami offensive duo are as stark in con ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg captured the first NCAA postseason recognition o ...

It is hard not to think of Miami's Amy Deem when you think of trail blazers in the track and f ...

Friday will be the Breast Cancer Awareness Pink Game, while Saturday is Bark in the Park. ...