Medical fraternity stands for cause

Students often take their legs for granted when they complain about walking to class or standing for long periods of time. In an effort to raise awareness for children who can’t stand for themselves due to immobilization, members of the Florida Gamma Chapter of Phi Delta Epsilon (PhiDE) held a philanthropic event Wednesday.

Members of the undergraduate medical fraternity participated in Stand for the Kids, an event sponsored by PhiDE International that raises awareness for the fraternity’s philanthropic partner, the Children’s Miracle Network (CMN). UM first hosted a Stand for the Kids event last year while the event was still being piloted.

Phillip Chan, president of UM’s PhiDE chapter, chaired the event along with sophomore Amelia Bahamonde. The most important portion of the event is the Stand Hour, Chan said. During the Stand Hour, participants stood from 3- 4 p.m. Wednesday, the same time as UM’s partner chapter across the globe in Gdansk, Poland.

“Our members stand in unison to raise awareness for the cause,” he said.

UM student performance groups including fusion a capella group Tufaan provided entertainment throughout the event. Other student organizations such as the UM Student Honor Council, Alpha Epsilon Delta premedical honor society, Art for Kids and Dance Marathon were invited to set up fundraising booths. In addition, PhiDE surgical teddy bears and the iconic yellow and red CMN hot air balloon cards were sold to raise funds.

Bahamonde described how teamwork between the fraternity’s philanthropic committee and other organizations made the event a success.

“Since the beginning of the semester, we’ve had all hands on deck from members of the fraternity who pitch in for every single task we needed,” she said. “We also had help from all of our co-sponsoring organizations that got the word out and bought our tanks.”

Throughout the rest of the event, booths, music and a CMN bounce house were set up at the Lakeside Patio. Students could purchase Chipotle burritos, receive a henna tattoo or pay to pie a PhiDE member in the face.

“I definitely had a great time getting my friends excited about throwing a pie in my face,” said freshman member Gavin Grieb. “And it’s for such a great cause.”

All of the proceeds from Stand for the Kids are given to CMN.

“The money we raise does not go into sponsoring the event,” said Chan. “Rather, every penny is donated straight to Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals.”

Prior to Wednesday, PhiDE had already raised $500 by tabling and selling tank tops, bears and CMN balloons. This year, PhiDE hopes to raise $5,000 towards CMN, nearly twice the $2,800 the chapter raised last year.

The donations help PhiD’s local partner, the Miami Children’s Hospital, for recreational use, kids’ toys, treatment, beds and medical expenses.

Farrah Mohammed, a junior Stand for the Kids committee member said the reward is seeing the funds raised help the children.

“Sure, we might be a little tired,” said Mohammed. “But our complaints aren’t nearly as big as those of the children who can’t stand up at all. At the end of the day, it’s all worth it.”

Jackie Yang

Jackie Yang can be reached via email at jyang@themiamihurricane.com.

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...