Basketball, Featured, Sports

Men’s basketball team prepares for season play

Sophomore guard Manu Lecomte attempts to pass against freshman guard Ja’Quan Newton during practice on Tuesday held at the Bank United Center Fieldhouse. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

Sophomore guard Manu Lecomte attempts to pass against freshman guard Ja’Quan Newton during practice on Tuesday held at the Bank United Center Fieldhouse. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

The Hurricanes men’s basketball team looks to shake off last year’s 17-16 season and 7-11 ACC record. This came on the heels of the 2012-13 season, when the Canes charged their way to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament.

This current squad will take the court, as there are no seniors and only two returning players from the 2013-14 season. This team is also one of the younger teams in the ACC.

Junior center Tonye Jekiri is the only player left from the Sweet 16 squad.

Head Coach Jim Larranaga said that through practice, the team is progressing and improving but has a long way to go.

“Some of the improvement has to be mental,” he said. “Most people think that it’s all about the physical effort, that nothing works without a great physical effort, but if you’re giving a physical effort but not doing the right things, then you don’t improve.”

Larranaga said the Canes need to be successful in non-conference play and take the early games just as intensely as ACC games.

Eyes will be on sophomore Manu Lecomte because he is the only returning guard for the 2014-15 season with 7.7 points and 2.3 assists his rookie year.

Angel Rodriguez leads the backcourt with an average of 11.4 points and 5.2 assists during his time at Kansas State.

Deandre Burnett learned from the bench last year after he injured his left wrist in an exhibition game, causing him to redshirt for the season.

“Last year was just a big learning process for everyone, I think. Even for the coaches,” Burnett said.

In August, the Canes competed in a 10-day excursion in Spain where they went 4-0 against Spanish professional club teams. This rip gave the younger players some more experience and practice before the start of the season.

“There’s a solid amount of talent on this team – the key for Coach L. and his staff will be developing chemistry over the course of the season, as many of these players have yet to play a game with UM yet,” said AJ Rickets, WVUM’s sports director who calls play-by-plays for the Canes.

The Canes will take on Eckerd College 7 p.m. Thursday at the BankUnited Center. Admission is free, but a ticket will be required for entry. The promotion offered for this game is the “Select-A-Seat” campaign, which allows fans to pick seats and purchase mini game plans.

The regular season competition will begin on Nov. 14 against Howard University.

Max Sanchez

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

Ebuka Izundu had a career night as the Canes took down Stephen F. Austin, 96-58. ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...