Sports, Volleyball

Louisville volleyball game sure to be a showdown

This could be the blueprint of a new conference rivalry.

The Hurricanes’ volleyball squad (14-7, 7-3) will take on the Louisville Cardinals (14-9, 6-5) for the first time since they joined the ACC in July.

The two teams played two years ago in the Louisville Tournament, and the Cardinals took the match in four sets. Emani Sims led the Canes with 15 kills. Meanwhile, Hurricanes current assist leader Haley Templeton was still in high school.

Templeton will enter this game fresh off earning her third ACC Freshman of the Week award. She recorded 35 assists in a sweep of North Carolina State last Sunday, bringing her season total to 783. The Georgia native ranks second in the ACC with almost 11 assists per set.

Her most frequent receiver, Savanah Leaf, is returning home for the first time since being named a finalist for the Senior Class Award. Leaf has 358 kills this year and places first in the ACC in kills per set.

On the other hand, the Cardinals will walk into the Knight Sports Complex Friday with a chip on their shoulders. They lost to Virginia in five sets – the limit – Sunday.

The red and black will be led by Janelle Jenkins, Maya McClendon and Tess Clark, who all have more than 200 kills this season. The Canes will have to watch out for six-foot-three-inch Clark, who is flirting with the same heights as some of the massive Florida State players against whom Miami had a disadvantage.

The distribution to Clark and the rest of this deep attack will be dictated by junior Katie George, who has served up more than 900 assists this season.

This matchup has the makings of a new yearly ACC showdown, and it all starts 7 p.m. Friday at the Knight.

Danny New

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...