Campus Life, Featured, News, Religious Life

Baptist Collegiate Ministry celebrates long legacy of service

While celebrating the weekend’s Homecoming festivities, the Baptist Collegiate Ministry (BCM) also celebrated its 65th anniversary on campus.

BCM hosts weekly worship services, small group study and service trips.  It is “a safe place for those searching for hope, meaning and love,” Director and Chaplain Matt Wofford said.

When the university allotted land for religious services on campus in 1949, BCM took the opportunity to construct a facility for the organization.

That facility has been used regularly for meetings, services, recreation and study. By participating in the Florida Baptist Convention’s “Cooperative Program,” which takes donations from Florida churches in order to operate, BCM has been able to fund staff and programming.

Since becoming active on campus, the organization has aimed to build an inviting environment for every student.

“We are open to all students, despite belief or background,” Wofford said. “We like to say, ‘All are welcome,’ and we really mean that.”

To celebrate its presence on campus, BCM scheduled various homecoming weekend activities, beginning with an alumni reception Thursday. The organization also invited its alumni to participate in the Homecoming parade and activities, and to tailgate at Sun Life Stadium Sunday before watching the game together as a group.

Celebrating 65 years on campus has allowed BCM’s community to look back on how those involved have touched lives.

“In preparing to welcome alumni, I had to dig up old photo albums, letters and other memorabilia,” Wofford said. “With that search I saw faces of students who were involved over the years … the common thread was that they all were a part of 65 years of putting themselves, their time and their focus into perspective with what really mattered.”

A large part of BCM’s presence on campus consists of its outreach. This includes finals study breaks, free snow cones in the Breezeway, and serving free coffee and donuts with the Chaplains Association on campus. The group also participated in Hurricanes Help the Hometown during homecoming.

To make a difference for national and international issues, BCM partners with local churches to run projects like Operation Christmas Child, which sends shoe boxes filled with goods to children around the world for Christmas. The organization also plans service trips during spring break to a destination in Florida and one during the summer to South America.

Wofford said he looks forward to continuing the organization’s impact on campus as current and future students keep leaving a legacy.

“Having the celebration during Homecoming weekend gave us, as an organization, a great opportunity to invite alumni back to celebrate as well as involve our current students in seeing how they can work toward leaving a legacy on campus,” he said.

Emily Dabau

Before Daniel Carter decided to sign with the Pittsburgh Panthers out of St. Thomas Aquinas, the fou ...

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...