Campus Life, Featured, News, Religious Life

Baptist Collegiate Ministry celebrates long legacy of service

While celebrating the weekend’s Homecoming festivities, the Baptist Collegiate Ministry (BCM) also celebrated its 65th anniversary on campus.

BCM hosts weekly worship services, small group study and service trips.  It is “a safe place for those searching for hope, meaning and love,” Director and Chaplain Matt Wofford said.

When the university allotted land for religious services on campus in 1949, BCM took the opportunity to construct a facility for the organization.

That facility has been used regularly for meetings, services, recreation and study. By participating in the Florida Baptist Convention’s “Cooperative Program,” which takes donations from Florida churches in order to operate, BCM has been able to fund staff and programming.

Since becoming active on campus, the organization has aimed to build an inviting environment for every student.

“We are open to all students, despite belief or background,” Wofford said. “We like to say, ‘All are welcome,’ and we really mean that.”

To celebrate its presence on campus, BCM scheduled various homecoming weekend activities, beginning with an alumni reception Thursday. The organization also invited its alumni to participate in the Homecoming parade and activities, and to tailgate at Sun Life Stadium Sunday before watching the game together as a group.

Celebrating 65 years on campus has allowed BCM’s community to look back on how those involved have touched lives.

“In preparing to welcome alumni, I had to dig up old photo albums, letters and other memorabilia,” Wofford said. “With that search I saw faces of students who were involved over the years … the common thread was that they all were a part of 65 years of putting themselves, their time and their focus into perspective with what really mattered.”

A large part of BCM’s presence on campus consists of its outreach. This includes finals study breaks, free snow cones in the Breezeway, and serving free coffee and donuts with the Chaplains Association on campus. The group also participated in Hurricanes Help the Hometown during homecoming.

To make a difference for national and international issues, BCM partners with local churches to run projects like Operation Christmas Child, which sends shoe boxes filled with goods to children around the world for Christmas. The organization also plans service trips during spring break to a destination in Florida and one during the summer to South America.

Wofford said he looks forward to continuing the organization’s impact on campus as current and future students keep leaving a legacy.

“Having the celebration during Homecoming weekend gave us, as an organization, a great opportunity to invite alumni back to celebrate as well as involve our current students in seeing how they can work toward leaving a legacy on campus,” he said.

Emily Dabau

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...