Campus Life, Featured, News, Religious Life

Baptist Collegiate Ministry celebrates long legacy of service

While celebrating the weekend’s Homecoming festivities, the Baptist Collegiate Ministry (BCM) also celebrated its 65th anniversary on campus.

BCM hosts weekly worship services, small group study and service trips.  It is “a safe place for those searching for hope, meaning and love,” Director and Chaplain Matt Wofford said.

When the university allotted land for religious services on campus in 1949, BCM took the opportunity to construct a facility for the organization.

That facility has been used regularly for meetings, services, recreation and study. By participating in the Florida Baptist Convention’s “Cooperative Program,” which takes donations from Florida churches in order to operate, BCM has been able to fund staff and programming.

Since becoming active on campus, the organization has aimed to build an inviting environment for every student.

“We are open to all students, despite belief or background,” Wofford said. “We like to say, ‘All are welcome,’ and we really mean that.”

To celebrate its presence on campus, BCM scheduled various homecoming weekend activities, beginning with an alumni reception Thursday. The organization also invited its alumni to participate in the Homecoming parade and activities, and to tailgate at Sun Life Stadium Sunday before watching the game together as a group.

Celebrating 65 years on campus has allowed BCM’s community to look back on how those involved have touched lives.

“In preparing to welcome alumni, I had to dig up old photo albums, letters and other memorabilia,” Wofford said. “With that search I saw faces of students who were involved over the years … the common thread was that they all were a part of 65 years of putting themselves, their time and their focus into perspective with what really mattered.”

A large part of BCM’s presence on campus consists of its outreach. This includes finals study breaks, free snow cones in the Breezeway, and serving free coffee and donuts with the Chaplains Association on campus. The group also participated in Hurricanes Help the Hometown during homecoming.

To make a difference for national and international issues, BCM partners with local churches to run projects like Operation Christmas Child, which sends shoe boxes filled with goods to children around the world for Christmas. The organization also plans service trips during spring break to a destination in Florida and one during the summer to South America.

Wofford said he looks forward to continuing the organization’s impact on campus as current and future students keep leaving a legacy.

“Having the celebration during Homecoming weekend gave us, as an organization, a great opportunity to invite alumni back to celebrate as well as involve our current students in seeing how they can work toward leaving a legacy on campus,” he said.

Emily Dabau

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The 2019-20 college basketball season is more than six months away, but the University of Miami Hurr ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

Following a 4-1 victory over No. 13-seed Virginia Tech Thursday in its ACC Championship opener, the ...

The fifth-seeded Miami women's tennis team started ACC Championship competition with a 4-1 vict ...

The Hurricanes will battle fourth-seed NC State in the quarterfinals Friday at 9 a.m. ...

The Canes made a late charge, but fell short at No. 8 Louisville 7-5 ...

Because of expected inclement weather, Thursday's game time has been moved up one hour to 5 p.m ...