7-Eleven gets nutritious makeover

7-Eleven’s image over the years has come to feature large Slurpees and rows of potato chip bags loaded with refined sugars and void of any nutritional value. However, change is on the horizon.

In Los Angeles, the company has partnered with fitness guru and creator of P90X Tony Horton to introduce healthier options to gas station shelves. By providing travelers access to options such as quinoa salad with chimichurri dressing and fresh pressed juices, the partnership is redirecting the fast food stigma toward a positive direction.

This transformation has not been met without skepticism. Critics of the approach have indicated that this modification of products will not prevent shoppers from purchasing the cinnamon roll in the adjacent aisle, nor would it be reasonable to spend $7 on a sandwich when one can buy four Doritos Loaded for $2.

Doubt also surrounds Horton’s credibility, namely his lack of qualifications in the field of nutrition.

Yet the demand for nutritious foods remains prevalent. 7-Eleven reports that sales of bananas far exceed sales of Snickers bars, and with increased competition from Starbucks and Dunkin’ Donuts, which now offer healthier to-go options, 7-Eleven needs to modify its approach to maintain its edge.

Furthermore, by partnering with an individual like Tony Horton, creator of Tony Horton Kitchen, a service that delivers healthy meals right to the front door, 7-Eleven has increased its customer base and success rate.

With a more personable, well-known and passionate voice that America has already allowed into its living rooms, 7-Eleven’s revitalized approach to wholesome options has been met with resonating positivity. In the 104 L.A. locations where this new system is being tested, consumers are thrilled with the direction 7-Eleven is heading.

Faizah Shareef is a senior majoring in exercise physiology.

In a country with increasing rates of diabetes, obesity and nutritional deficiencies, 7-Eleven, in partnership with the strong voice of Tony Horton, has decided to make a difference.

By making health simple, understandable and accessible, it is making progress against these preventable diseases. Although it may take some time for this revolution to take hold across the nation, 7-Eleven has amped up its nutritional portfolio and is ready to bring it to the next level.

Faizah Shareef

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...