Campus Life, News, Syndicated

Iron Arrow taps 31 new members during Homecoming Week

Vice Provost David Birnbach is inked with the University’s colors, part of the Iron Arrow tapping ritual. // Courtesy E-veritas

By Mike Piacentino | Special to UM News

Thirty one students, faculty, staff and alumni were tapped last Wednesday and Thursday into the University of Miami Iron Arrow Honor Society.

Iron Arrow was started in 1926, about a month after the University of Miami opened. It honors individuals who show a love of alma mater and embody the qualities of good character, leadership, scholarship, and humility. There are more than 2,900 members.

Christian Garcia, executive director of the Toppel Career Center, had the rare opportunity Thursday to tap his predecessor, Jim Smart, who is now executive director of Housing and Residential Life, into the “highest honor attained at the University of Miami.”

Iron Arrow members frequently use fake meetings or ask soon-to-be-tappees for a quick coffee break in order to secure a tapping time and location. So Smart had his “meeting” with Brenden Kollar, a former resident assistant who is working on the University’s new housing plan. But the meeting was soon interrupted by the familiar beating of the drum, and Garcia and Matt McCabe, a UM alumnus and former resident assistant in Hecht Residential College, pulled their mentor from his chair and presented him for the ritual tapping.

Read more on E-Veritas: New Iron Arrow Tappees Humbled and Honored

Fall 2014 tappee list:

Daniel Atherton

David Birnbach

Patricia Byers

Nejla Calvo

Phillip Chan

David Coulter

Douglas “Doug” Crawford

Melissa Damas

Ryan Dauer

Juan Carlos del-Valle

Nicole Garcia

Barry Gelman

Michael Genden

Kysha Harriell

Hope Hua

Erin Kobetz

Ken Lee

Vinay Madhusoodanan

Michael Maguire

Ashley McBride

Shane McDermott

Angelica Melillo

Charles Mercer

Julie Piccione

David Rivero

Mitchell Roffer

James “Jim” Smart

Heather Stephens

Guerdiana Thelomar

Richard Thurer

Kristy Whyte

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...