Campus Life, Featured, News

Campus weighs in on Election Day voting

party poll-01

According to the Florida Division of Elections website, Miami-Dade has the most active registered voters of any county in Florida, accounting for 10.9 percent of the Florida vote. Design by Sarbani Ghosh

After months of campaign and debate, Election Day has arrived. The Miami Hurricane surveyed University of Miami students after they cast their votes this afternoon.

Freshman Danny Ivanov was at the polls Tuesday. He recently participated in a public political debate, representing the UM Young and College Democrats and debating on behalf of candidate Charlie Crist for Florida’s governor.
On Election Day, his first time voting in a midterm, he cast his vote for Crist.

“I don’t think Rick Scott has been doing a great job,” Ivanov said. “It’s time for a change.”

The issues most important to Ivanov are jobs and the economy. Should Crist win the election, he hopes to see Medicaid expansion and the restoration of education cuts.

For senior John Buonocore, a biomedical engineering major, this was one election of many. Since 18, Buonocore has made a point of embracing his civic responsibility.

“People have died for my right to vote,” Buonocore said. “So I voted today.”

The race for governor and the issue of medical marijuana were important in Buonocore’s vote, but he preferred not to go into specifics.

Alexandra Tabry, a senior majoring in elementary education and studio art, was also motivated to vote because of marijuana legalization – or as she called it, “Prop 2.” For governor, she voted for Crist because of her belief that “Rick Scott sucks.”

Though it’s too soon to predict the results, Associate Professor Joseph Uscinski, Ph.D. provided insight as an expert in political science. He pointed out the size of Miami-Dade county to suggest the influence of local residents on the overall election.

According to the Florida Division of Elections website, Miami-Dade has the most active registered voters of any county in Florida, accounting for 10.9 percent of the Florida vote. Broward county ranks second, representing 8.9 percent of Florida voters. Miami-Dade and Broward are the only two Florida counties with more than one million registered voters.

Voters in Miami-Dade breakdown into several political affiliations: republican, democrat, minor party and no affiliation.

Among all voter groups, Uscinski said that college-aged voters will have little impact on election results.

“They just don’t show up,” he said.

Regarding the overall outcome of the election, Uscinski declined to give a prediction. But for one party – which party, he declined to specify – he offered a cryptic warning.

“The hammer is about to fall,” he said.

S Molly Dominick

At 7:27 p.m Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz tweeted a GIF of a swirling Hurri ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ As Miami awaits decisions from its potential 2019 qua ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

Pictures from the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team's season-opening action in the Miami Sp ...