Campus Life, Featured, News

Campus weighs in on Election Day voting

party poll-01

According to the Florida Division of Elections website, Miami-Dade has the most active registered voters of any county in Florida, accounting for 10.9 percent of the Florida vote. Design by Sarbani Ghosh

After months of campaign and debate, Election Day has arrived. The Miami Hurricane surveyed University of Miami students after they cast their votes this afternoon.

Freshman Danny Ivanov was at the polls Tuesday. He recently participated in a public political debate, representing the UM Young and College Democrats and debating on behalf of candidate Charlie Crist for Florida’s governor.
On Election Day, his first time voting in a midterm, he cast his vote for Crist.

“I don’t think Rick Scott has been doing a great job,” Ivanov said. “It’s time for a change.”

The issues most important to Ivanov are jobs and the economy. Should Crist win the election, he hopes to see Medicaid expansion and the restoration of education cuts.

For senior John Buonocore, a biomedical engineering major, this was one election of many. Since 18, Buonocore has made a point of embracing his civic responsibility.

“People have died for my right to vote,” Buonocore said. “So I voted today.”

The race for governor and the issue of medical marijuana were important in Buonocore’s vote, but he preferred not to go into specifics.

Alexandra Tabry, a senior majoring in elementary education and studio art, was also motivated to vote because of marijuana legalization – or as she called it, “Prop 2.” For governor, she voted for Crist because of her belief that “Rick Scott sucks.”

Though it’s too soon to predict the results, Associate Professor Joseph Uscinski, Ph.D. provided insight as an expert in political science. He pointed out the size of Miami-Dade county to suggest the influence of local residents on the overall election.

According to the Florida Division of Elections website, Miami-Dade has the most active registered voters of any county in Florida, accounting for 10.9 percent of the Florida vote. Broward county ranks second, representing 8.9 percent of Florida voters. Miami-Dade and Broward are the only two Florida counties with more than one million registered voters.

Voters in Miami-Dade breakdown into several political affiliations: republican, democrat, minor party and no affiliation.

Among all voter groups, Uscinski said that college-aged voters will have little impact on election results.

“They just don’t show up,” he said.

Regarding the overall outcome of the election, Uscinski declined to give a prediction. But for one party – which party, he declined to specify – he offered a cryptic warning.

“The hammer is about to fall,” he said.

S Molly Dominick

The mid-major monster nearly mauled the Miami Hurricanes again. But Miami bit back. Miami’s past thr ...

TCU coach Gary Patterson doesn’t like the way college football is trending when it comes to transfer ...

Oklahoma has its Oklahoma Drills. But the fired-up U has its own version of major college football p ...

Day Three of University of Miami football practice media viewing Friday inside the Carol Soffer Indo ...

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

The School of Nursing and Health Studies’ global research training program for minority students is ...

The University of Miami community gathered to remember the victims of the deadly New Zealand mosque ...

Culminating "an awesome, institution-wide effort," the Miller School of Medicine is celebr ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opened NCAA Tournament play with a 69-62 triump ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg saved her best for last at the 2019 NCAA Swimmin ...

In a battle between two of the ACC's best pitchers, No. 5 NC State mustered a fifth-inning rall ...

The Hurricanes top Duke, 4-3, to improve to 6-0 in conference action. ...

The Miami track and field team concluded day one of the Power 5 Trailblazer Challenge competing in t ...