Campus Life, Featured, News

Campus weighs in on Election Day voting

party poll-01

According to the Florida Division of Elections website, Miami-Dade has the most active registered voters of any county in Florida, accounting for 10.9 percent of the Florida vote. Design by Sarbani Ghosh

After months of campaign and debate, Election Day has arrived. The Miami Hurricane surveyed University of Miami students after they cast their votes this afternoon.

Freshman Danny Ivanov was at the polls Tuesday. He recently participated in a public political debate, representing the UM Young and College Democrats and debating on behalf of candidate Charlie Crist for Florida’s governor.
On Election Day, his first time voting in a midterm, he cast his vote for Crist.

“I don’t think Rick Scott has been doing a great job,” Ivanov said. “It’s time for a change.”

The issues most important to Ivanov are jobs and the economy. Should Crist win the election, he hopes to see Medicaid expansion and the restoration of education cuts.

For senior John Buonocore, a biomedical engineering major, this was one election of many. Since 18, Buonocore has made a point of embracing his civic responsibility.

“People have died for my right to vote,” Buonocore said. “So I voted today.”

The race for governor and the issue of medical marijuana were important in Buonocore’s vote, but he preferred not to go into specifics.

Alexandra Tabry, a senior majoring in elementary education and studio art, was also motivated to vote because of marijuana legalization – or as she called it, “Prop 2.” For governor, she voted for Crist because of her belief that “Rick Scott sucks.”

Though it’s too soon to predict the results, Associate Professor Joseph Uscinski, Ph.D. provided insight as an expert in political science. He pointed out the size of Miami-Dade county to suggest the influence of local residents on the overall election.

According to the Florida Division of Elections website, Miami-Dade has the most active registered voters of any county in Florida, accounting for 10.9 percent of the Florida vote. Broward county ranks second, representing 8.9 percent of Florida voters. Miami-Dade and Broward are the only two Florida counties with more than one million registered voters.

Voters in Miami-Dade breakdown into several political affiliations: republican, democrat, minor party and no affiliation.

Among all voter groups, Uscinski said that college-aged voters will have little impact on election results.

“They just don’t show up,” he said.

Regarding the overall outcome of the election, Uscinski declined to give a prediction. But for one party – which party, he declined to specify – he offered a cryptic warning.

“The hammer is about to fall,” he said.

S Molly Dominick

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...