Soccer, Sports

Women’s soccer ends season with a win

The Hurricanes women’s soccer team finished its season with an impressive 2-1 victory over Wake Forest on Sunday afternoon at Cobb Stadium.

The win brings a nice end to a rough season for the Canes, who finished the year 4-13-1 overall and 2-7-1 in the ACC. The loss ends Wake Forest’s season at an overall record of 5-9-3 and 3-5-2 in ACC play.

“When we play great soccer we accomplish a lot,” Hurricanes coach Mary-Frances Monroe said. “Today we were really plugged in and excited and came to perform and put the ball in the back of the net.”

The Hurricanes and the Demon Deacons ended the first half locked in a scoreless draw. The Canes created the best scoring chance of the half in the 11th minute when senior defender Maddie Simms entered a dangerous cross from the left sideline into the box that slipped by Wake Forest freshman goalkeeper Lindsay Preston and fell to Canes junior forward Natalie Moik, but Moik’s shot from 10 yards out sailed over the net.

Hurricanes senior forward and captain Ashley Flinn scored the first goal of the game and her first of the season in the 58th minute. Flinn received a perfect through ball by Moik that left her 1-on-1 against Preston 18 yards out and sent the ball into the back of the net after Preston blocked her first shot.

“It felt good, especially [since]it put us up, because most of the season we’ve been down,” Flinn said. “It’s definitely a surreal moment.”

Flinn battled with injuries for most of the season but somehow was able to come out and play her best game of the year on very little practice.

“I’m happy that she was healthy enough to play today,” coach Monroe said of her captain. “She hasn’t played her last few games. She hasn’t trained at all [this week].”

Sophomore midfielder Gianna Dal Pozzo put the Hurricanes up 2-0 in the 73rd minute after curving the ball into the bottom right corner of the net from a free kick just outside of the penalty box.

Wake Forest senior defender Kim Marshall ended Hurricanes senior goalkeeper Emily Lillard’s shutout in the 82nd minute on a penalty kick she buried in the right corner of the net that went just past the outstretched arms of Lillard.

The Hurricanes were able to hold on for their third win at home and second win in their last three games.

Along with Simms, Flinn and Lillard, the victory marked the end of the careers of midfielders Erin McGovern and Jasmine Villaverde.

Mark Singer

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...