Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports

Teams place last at season close

The Hurricanes cross country teams wrapped up the regular season in this weekend’s meet.

The men and women’s teams placed last in their respective races at the ACC Championships held in Charlottesville, Virginia.

In the men’s eight-kilometer race, senior Douglas Dourado finished first for the Hurricanes with a time of 26:09.9. A total of five men represented Miami.

Syracuse won the men’s championship for the second-straight year. Syracuse junior Martin Hehir won the race with a time of 23:15.2, and fellow Orangeman senior Max Straneva finished third with a time of 23:23.1.

Seven women represented the Hurricanes. For the women’s six-kilometer race, sophomore Gabrielle Hesslau led Miami, finishing with a time of 23:31.5. Frida Carlsson finished four places behind her with a time of 24:05.2.

North Carolina won the women’s team championship. Their highest finisher was junior Annie LeHardy who crossed the finish line at 20:09.5. Liv Westphal, a senior from Boston College won the race clocking in at 19:43.8.

Despite this finish, Miami distance coach Damon Griffiths was hopeful.

“I feel both teams competed hard today,” he said. “We had several positives this season. We will take a break and start preparing for track season.”

NCAA Regional Championships are Nov. 14 in Tallahassee, and NCAA Championships are Nov. 22 in Terre Haute, Indiana. The indoor track season starts with the Nittany Lion Challenge hosted by Pennsylvania State in January.

Miami will host two track meets: the Hurricane Invitational in March and the Hurricane Alumni Invitational in April.

Victoria Hernandez

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges, a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department, has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...

The Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection has given social scientists and psychologists another example to examine the behavior and actions of groups. ...

Some experts believe that pent-up demand will push the economy into a rebound after the majority of the U.S. population receives the COVID-19 vaccine. ...

All students are required to test negative for COVID-19 before attending any in-person classes, programs, or work shifts on any University of Miami campus. With the start of classes Monday, here is the critical information students need to know. ...