Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports

Teams place last at season close

The Hurricanes cross country teams wrapped up the regular season in this weekend’s meet.

The men and women’s teams placed last in their respective races at the ACC Championships held in Charlottesville, Virginia.

In the men’s eight-kilometer race, senior Douglas Dourado finished first for the Hurricanes with a time of 26:09.9. A total of five men represented Miami.

Syracuse won the men’s championship for the second-straight year. Syracuse junior Martin Hehir won the race with a time of 23:15.2, and fellow Orangeman senior Max Straneva finished third with a time of 23:23.1.

Seven women represented the Hurricanes. For the women’s six-kilometer race, sophomore Gabrielle Hesslau led Miami, finishing with a time of 23:31.5. Frida Carlsson finished four places behind her with a time of 24:05.2.

North Carolina won the women’s team championship. Their highest finisher was junior Annie LeHardy who crossed the finish line at 20:09.5. Liv Westphal, a senior from Boston College won the race clocking in at 19:43.8.

Despite this finish, Miami distance coach Damon Griffiths was hopeful.

“I feel both teams competed hard today,” he said. “We had several positives this season. We will take a break and start preparing for track season.”

NCAA Regional Championships are Nov. 14 in Tallahassee, and NCAA Championships are Nov. 22 in Terre Haute, Indiana. The indoor track season starts with the Nittany Lion Challenge hosted by Pennsylvania State in January.

Miami will host two track meets: the Hurricane Invitational in March and the Hurricane Alumni Invitational in April.

Victoria Hernandez

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship one of th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...