Take advantage of right to vote

Elections have arrived, and a corresponding surge in patriotic sentiment has motivated everybody to line up at the voting booths to exercise their rights as American citizens.

If only.

In Florida, this year’s elections so far seem to have produced little general enthusiasm. Lackluster candidates are partly to blame. On the one hand, there’s incumbent Rick Scott, whose performance as governor has been mediocre at best. On the other, there’s Charlie Crist, whose about-faces on critical issues such as abortion and gay rights have shrouded his real beliefs in an impenetrable cloud.

Hardly inspiring.

But there’s more to this election than the race for governor. There are three amendments to the Florida constitution which can spell crucial change for the society which we, as UM students, are all a part of.

Do you really have nothing to say, for example, about the preservation of Florida’s ecosystems (Amendment 1)? Even if you don’t, isn’t it conceivable, after you do some research, that you might?

It’s true, if you are an out-of-state student and have not yet registered to vote in the state of Florida, you cannot vote for either Scott or Crist, nor on amendments to the Florida constitution. But these issues matter in other states, too. At least three other states, for example, are considering legislation similar to Florida’s proposed constitutional amendment about medical marijuana.

If you have any attachment to your home state, and are at all interested in having your say in its affairs, research your state’s rules on voting absentee.

At any rate, voting is much more than the issues themselves. It is not just your right as an American citizen; it is your duty. One cannot sit around professing to love the United States and its system of government and then choose not to participate in its lifeblood activity.

Ultimately, there is no excuse not to vote. Don’t know the issues? Do your research. Too busy? Do a mail-in ballot. Don’t like the candidates? There’ll be an outcome one way or another, so just choose the one you even slightly prefer. Don’t care? Think of all the hundreds of thousands of people who would do anything for even the smallest political voice.

Vote because you can and others can’t. Vote because you want to share in the responsibility for the state of your society. Whatever your motivation, just go vote.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Editorial Board

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos already has displayed a penchant for giving thoughtful, substantiv ...

And you thought the quarterback race was hot before. After reviewing the University of Miami spring ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey, Jr. have been selected to receive the University of Miami Sports Hall of ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

Images from the University of Miami women's tennis team's run to the ACC Championship semi ...