Take advantage of right to vote

Elections have arrived, and a corresponding surge in patriotic sentiment has motivated everybody to line up at the voting booths to exercise their rights as American citizens.

If only.

In Florida, this year’s elections so far seem to have produced little general enthusiasm. Lackluster candidates are partly to blame. On the one hand, there’s incumbent Rick Scott, whose performance as governor has been mediocre at best. On the other, there’s Charlie Crist, whose about-faces on critical issues such as abortion and gay rights have shrouded his real beliefs in an impenetrable cloud.

Hardly inspiring.

But there’s more to this election than the race for governor. There are three amendments to the Florida constitution which can spell crucial change for the society which we, as UM students, are all a part of.

Do you really have nothing to say, for example, about the preservation of Florida’s ecosystems (Amendment 1)? Even if you don’t, isn’t it conceivable, after you do some research, that you might?

It’s true, if you are an out-of-state student and have not yet registered to vote in the state of Florida, you cannot vote for either Scott or Crist, nor on amendments to the Florida constitution. But these issues matter in other states, too. At least three other states, for example, are considering legislation similar to Florida’s proposed constitutional amendment about medical marijuana.

If you have any attachment to your home state, and are at all interested in having your say in its affairs, research your state’s rules on voting absentee.

At any rate, voting is much more than the issues themselves. It is not just your right as an American citizen; it is your duty. One cannot sit around professing to love the United States and its system of government and then choose not to participate in its lifeblood activity.

Ultimately, there is no excuse not to vote. Don’t know the issues? Do your research. Too busy? Do a mail-in ballot. Don’t like the candidates? There’ll be an outcome one way or another, so just choose the one you even slightly prefer. Don’t care? Think of all the hundreds of thousands of people who would do anything for even the smallest political voice.

Vote because you can and others can’t. Vote because you want to share in the responsibility for the state of your society. Whatever your motivation, just go vote.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Editorial Board

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...