Edge, Featured, Theater

Playwrights become Astonishing Idiots

Department of Theatre Arts faculty member Oren Safdie advises Astonishing Idiots playwrights in workshop. Jackie Yang // Contributing Photographer

A handful of students is seated in a collection of rickety desks too small to support their laptops and thick scripts.

This is Astonishing Idiots, a new student-run theater company housed under the Department of Theatre Arts.

Astonishing Idiots is currently preparing for two shows this semester. The first will be on Wednesday. 

Faculty instructor Oren Safdie, a playwriting resident at the renowned La MaMa Experimental Theatre Club in Manhattan, wants to give student playwrights a chance to realize their work in a practical setting.

“A lot of what we do in playwriting workshop is very theoretical; we just read over scripts,” Safdie said. “But theater is meant to be something that’s presented to the public, so that’s why we’ve chosen to go out and produce our work in an off-campus venue.”

The production will be constructed around selected scripts based on the theme “Upper Class Horror Stories.” The scripts come from University of Miami students.

If enough interest is generated, the company hopes to start monthly shows in the spring semester.

“You don’t know until you try,” said junior Adrian Alonso about the playwriting process.

The theater company’s work is packaged under an official course, THA 485, which mostly takes on the form of a playwriting workshop and independent study with other directors, actors and writers.

As performance night looms nearer, the company is focusing on finding student directors, casting actors and finalizing the pool of script submissions, which include both monologues and short scenes.

The students swap pieces, read characters and dissect each others’ writing. New ideas burgeon in the middle of the workshop; should they add comedic interludes? Slapstick scenarios?

All the while, Safdie challenges the playwrights to reflect on their stories, suggests improvements and recommends casting possibilities.

Though the playwrights enrolled in THA 485 contribute a good portion of the writing, acting and directing involved in the show, the theater company is open to script submissions from all students on campus, regardless of school or major.

Safdie is modeling this group after his experiences as founder of the student-run West End Gate Theater Bar in Manhattan and as a Woolrich Fellow at the Columbia University School of the Arts, an initiative that focused on bringing plays from “the page to the stage.”

“Playwriting is a place to experiment,” said Safdie. “Some things will work, and some things will fail, but the only way to really test that is onstage.”

The members of Astonishing Idiots meet both informally and in workshops with Safdie, who commutes to Miami from Los Angeles on a weekly basis. He offers guidance and experience, but the production process is very much in the hands of the students.

IF YOU GO
WHERE: Open Stage Club at 2325 Galiano St. Coral Gables, FL 33134

WHEN: 8 p.m. Wednesday

CONTACT: Submissions for the next show will soon be accepted at astonishingidiots@gmail.com.

Jackie Yang

Jackie Yang can be reached via email at jyang@themiamihurricane.com.

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...