Edge, Featured, Theater

Playwrights become Astonishing Idiots

Department of Theatre Arts faculty member Oren Safdie advises Astonishing Idiots playwrights in workshop. Jackie Yang // Contributing Photographer

A handful of students is seated in a collection of rickety desks too small to support their laptops and thick scripts.

This is Astonishing Idiots, a new student-run theater company housed under the Department of Theatre Arts.

Astonishing Idiots is currently preparing for two shows this semester. The first will be on Wednesday. 

Faculty instructor Oren Safdie, a playwriting resident at the renowned La MaMa Experimental Theatre Club in Manhattan, wants to give student playwrights a chance to realize their work in a practical setting.

“A lot of what we do in playwriting workshop is very theoretical; we just read over scripts,” Safdie said. “But theater is meant to be something that’s presented to the public, so that’s why we’ve chosen to go out and produce our work in an off-campus venue.”

The production will be constructed around selected scripts based on the theme “Upper Class Horror Stories.” The scripts come from University of Miami students.

If enough interest is generated, the company hopes to start monthly shows in the spring semester.

“You don’t know until you try,” said junior Adrian Alonso about the playwriting process.

The theater company’s work is packaged under an official course, THA 485, which mostly takes on the form of a playwriting workshop and independent study with other directors, actors and writers.

As performance night looms nearer, the company is focusing on finding student directors, casting actors and finalizing the pool of script submissions, which include both monologues and short scenes.

The students swap pieces, read characters and dissect each others’ writing. New ideas burgeon in the middle of the workshop; should they add comedic interludes? Slapstick scenarios?

All the while, Safdie challenges the playwrights to reflect on their stories, suggests improvements and recommends casting possibilities.

Though the playwrights enrolled in THA 485 contribute a good portion of the writing, acting and directing involved in the show, the theater company is open to script submissions from all students on campus, regardless of school or major.

Safdie is modeling this group after his experiences as founder of the student-run West End Gate Theater Bar in Manhattan and as a Woolrich Fellow at the Columbia University School of the Arts, an initiative that focused on bringing plays from “the page to the stage.”

“Playwriting is a place to experiment,” said Safdie. “Some things will work, and some things will fail, but the only way to really test that is onstage.”

The members of Astonishing Idiots meet both informally and in workshops with Safdie, who commutes to Miami from Los Angeles on a weekly basis. He offers guidance and experience, but the production process is very much in the hands of the students.

IF YOU GO
WHERE: Open Stage Club at 2325 Galiano St. Coral Gables, FL 33134

WHEN: 8 p.m. Wednesday

CONTACT: Submissions for the next show will soon be accepted at astonishingidiots@gmail.com.

Jackie Yang

Jackie Yang can be reached via email at jyang@themiamihurricane.com.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ If N’Kosi Perry starts against North Carolina — as ma ...

Want a hot topic at the University of Miami? Quarterbacks. Want a hot unit? Defense. While Hurricane ...

The quarterback topic never gets old at the University of Miami, especially this week, when Hurrican ...

Mark Richt did what many of us expected Tuesday morning at the University of Miami’s Greentree Field ...

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Canes have not named a starting quarterback for Thursday's game vs. UNC, but they know they ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

View some of the top images from Estela Perez-Somarriba's Oracle ITA Masters title match victor ...

Lucia Marzal Martinez of the Miami women's tennis team competed as an amateur Tuesday in the Hi ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...