Party lines should not be uncrossable

The Nov. 4 midterm elections are almost upon us. The dedicated Americans who get up and vote have the opportunity to select the exceptional men and women who will lead us.

These voters will have impartially surveyed the campaigns and dissected the hundreds of candidates to find the ones most likely to provide a brighter future. After all, it’s our responsibility to safeguard our democratic ideals. These Americans would never be so callous as to simply vote for the party they most identify with. Right?

Let’s examine the post for Florida’s commissioner of agriculture. This is a position that enormously influences environmental policy in Florida. In a state that could face drastic consequences from climate change, the public is surely aware of who’s running.

In these elections, Thaddeus “Thad” Hamilton is challenging the incumbent, Adam Putnam. They have wildly different views on policy and its implementation.

But I’ve left out the most relevant tool for selecting our candidate. Yes, I neglected to mention which candidate is a Democrat and which a Republican. And guess what? I’m not going to tell you.

Too often we fall victim to the corrupting trap that is straight-ticket voting. According to Mike Morris of the Houston Chronicle, it’s possible that two-thirds of Americans are filling the country’s most powerful positions with candidates based solely on their party affiliation.

This assumes that everyone in your party deserves to have this power. I hope we remember that politicians, deservedly or not, are commonly known as scumbags. Even if they are only as scummy as the average person, they should still be vetted before we let them decide who can be married or if a tree’s only use is as a campaign flyer.

I know it’s unfair to expect busy Americans to take the time to familiarize themselves with each candidate. Wait, actually it’s not unfair at all. If you have time to read Buzzfeed, you have time to pull up Florida’s election information page. I just did. It took about 0.453 seconds.

Research candidates on your own. Learn what their policies are and how they might be different from their peers’. Please don’t select our leaders randomly or uncaringly. Respect a process that allows us freedoms almost unprecedented in world history. But, above all else, please just close your laptop, and go vote.

Spencer Pretecrum is a senior majoring in psychology and creative writing.

Spencer Pretecrum

The University of Miami spring game will not be televised or streamed live on the Internet at noon S ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team knocked off fourth-seeded and nint ...

Miami was leading, 10-3, when umpires suspended play at 7 p.m. on Friday. ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

No. 42 Adria Soriano Barrera collects top-25 victory against No. 21 Alexis Galarneau ...

Check out the UM Department of Athletics' e-magazine for April. ...