News Briefs 11/3

Richter Library celebrated Halloween with a pumpkin carving contest Friday. The student-carved pumpkins were displayed outside of Richter where students voted for their favorites. Victoria McKaba // Staff Photographer

Student Media Awards

University of Miami student media attended the Associated Collegiate Press (ACP) / College Media Association (CMA) fall conference in Philadelphia this weekend. The Miami Hurricane and Distraction Magazine were finalists for the online Pacemaker award that recognizes achievement in student media websites. Distraction Magazine won a Pacemaker award for its website,  and Ibis Yearbook won a Pacemaker for the 2013 book. Megan McCrink, online editorial coordinator for Distraction, won first place in the yearbook/magazine spread category for ACP’s “Design of the Year” award.

Global Careers Meet-up

The Global Careers Meet-Up, hosted by the Toppel Career Center and co-sponsored by  the University of Miami Study Abroad Office, invites students interested in working, interning, volunteering and studying abroad to learn more about international experiences from professionals including employers, faculty and staff. The event will take place from 6 to 8 p.m. on Monday in the Toppel Career Center Loft.

Hafla Night

The Middle Eastern Studies Society, Emet Israel and Let’s Bridge the Divide are co-hosting a night for a students to join Middle Eastern student organizations for free Middle Eastern food, music and conversation. Hafla Night will be held at 8 p.m. Monday in the University Center’s (UC) Storm Surge room (formerly Oasis Cafe).

UM Professors at Books & Books’ BookTalk

University of Miami Professors Anne Cruz and Pamela Hammons will be discussing their recently publish books from 8 to 9 p.m. Wednesday at Books & Books in Coral Gables. Cruz will talk about her book, “The Writings and Life of Luisa de Carvajal” following the character Luisa de Carvajal, Spanish noblewoman, poet and religious activist. Hammons’ book, “Book M:  A London Widow’s Life Writings,” addresses early modern women’s lives and writing.

Middle Eastern International Coffee House

Coffee Hour, a Global Ambassador event that promotes intercultural learning and diversity on campus, will be celebrating the Middle Eastern culture from 5 to 7 p.m. Wednesday at the College of Arts and Sciences gallery located in the Wesley Foundation Building. The event will include traditional cuisine, art music, and performances from the region. To RSVP, email studyabroad@miami.edu by Nov. 10.

Emily Dabau may be emailed at edabau@themiamihurricane.com.

Emily Dabau

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...