News Briefs 11/3

Richter Library celebrated Halloween with a pumpkin carving contest Friday. The student-carved pumpkins were displayed outside of Richter where students voted for their favorites. Victoria McKaba // Staff Photographer

Student Media Awards

University of Miami student media attended the Associated Collegiate Press (ACP) / College Media Association (CMA) fall conference in Philadelphia this weekend. The Miami Hurricane and Distraction Magazine were finalists for the online Pacemaker award that recognizes achievement in student media websites. Distraction Magazine won a Pacemaker award for its website,  and Ibis Yearbook won a Pacemaker for the 2013 book. Megan McCrink, online editorial coordinator for Distraction, won first place in the yearbook/magazine spread category for ACP’s “Design of the Year” award.

Global Careers Meet-up

The Global Careers Meet-Up, hosted by the Toppel Career Center and co-sponsored by  the University of Miami Study Abroad Office, invites students interested in working, interning, volunteering and studying abroad to learn more about international experiences from professionals including employers, faculty and staff. The event will take place from 6 to 8 p.m. on Monday in the Toppel Career Center Loft.

Hafla Night

The Middle Eastern Studies Society, Emet Israel and Let’s Bridge the Divide are co-hosting a night for a students to join Middle Eastern student organizations for free Middle Eastern food, music and conversation. Hafla Night will be held at 8 p.m. Monday in the University Center’s (UC) Storm Surge room (formerly Oasis Cafe).

UM Professors at Books & Books’ BookTalk

University of Miami Professors Anne Cruz and Pamela Hammons will be discussing their recently publish books from 8 to 9 p.m. Wednesday at Books & Books in Coral Gables. Cruz will talk about her book, “The Writings and Life of Luisa de Carvajal” following the character Luisa de Carvajal, Spanish noblewoman, poet and religious activist. Hammons’ book, “Book M:  A London Widow’s Life Writings,” addresses early modern women’s lives and writing.

Middle Eastern International Coffee House

Coffee Hour, a Global Ambassador event that promotes intercultural learning and diversity on campus, will be celebrating the Middle Eastern culture from 5 to 7 p.m. Wednesday at the College of Arts and Sciences gallery located in the Wesley Foundation Building. The event will include traditional cuisine, art music, and performances from the region. To RSVP, email studyabroad@miami.edu by Nov. 10.

Emily Dabau may be emailed at edabau@themiamihurricane.com.

Emily Dabau

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

UM coach Manny Diaz, who expressed disappointment in Miami’s South Florida recruiting efforts in the ...

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

Michelle Atherley of the Miami track and field team made history on Thursday, as she dominated from ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 73-65 decision Thursday night to Virginia Te ...

Riding a four-game winning streak, the Canes head to Gainesville, Fla., for a three-game rivalry ser ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

Check out the February edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...