News Briefs 11/3

Richter Library celebrated Halloween with a pumpkin carving contest Friday. The student-carved pumpkins were displayed outside of Richter where students voted for their favorites. Victoria McKaba // Staff Photographer

Student Media Awards

University of Miami student media attended the Associated Collegiate Press (ACP) / College Media Association (CMA) fall conference in Philadelphia this weekend. The Miami Hurricane and Distraction Magazine were finalists for the online Pacemaker award that recognizes achievement in student media websites. Distraction Magazine won a Pacemaker award for its website,  and Ibis Yearbook won a Pacemaker for the 2013 book. Megan McCrink, online editorial coordinator for Distraction, won first place in the yearbook/magazine spread category for ACP’s “Design of the Year” award.

Global Careers Meet-up

The Global Careers Meet-Up, hosted by the Toppel Career Center and co-sponsored by  the University of Miami Study Abroad Office, invites students interested in working, interning, volunteering and studying abroad to learn more about international experiences from professionals including employers, faculty and staff. The event will take place from 6 to 8 p.m. on Monday in the Toppel Career Center Loft.

Hafla Night

The Middle Eastern Studies Society, Emet Israel and Let’s Bridge the Divide are co-hosting a night for a students to join Middle Eastern student organizations for free Middle Eastern food, music and conversation. Hafla Night will be held at 8 p.m. Monday in the University Center’s (UC) Storm Surge room (formerly Oasis Cafe).

UM Professors at Books & Books’ BookTalk

University of Miami Professors Anne Cruz and Pamela Hammons will be discussing their recently publish books from 8 to 9 p.m. Wednesday at Books & Books in Coral Gables. Cruz will talk about her book, “The Writings and Life of Luisa de Carvajal” following the character Luisa de Carvajal, Spanish noblewoman, poet and religious activist. Hammons’ book, “Book M:  A London Widow’s Life Writings,” addresses early modern women’s lives and writing.

Middle Eastern International Coffee House

Coffee Hour, a Global Ambassador event that promotes intercultural learning and diversity on campus, will be celebrating the Middle Eastern culture from 5 to 7 p.m. Wednesday at the College of Arts and Sciences gallery located in the Wesley Foundation Building. The event will include traditional cuisine, art music, and performances from the region. To RSVP, email studyabroad@miami.edu by Nov. 10.

Emily Dabau may be emailed at edabau@themiamihurricane.com.

Emily Dabau

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Demetrius Jackson has come through again for his Overtown neighborhood. For the second year in a row ...

Days after praising Mark Richt, Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant has canceled his Frid ...

Mark Richt kept his word. On Thursday, two days before the Miami Hurricanes defeated Virginia Tech 3 ...

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...