Game day gets ‘Kelly Tough’ with alumnus Jim Kelly

Football hall-of-famer Jim Kelly in December 2010. // Public domain photo by Staff Sgt. Corenthia Fennell

Alumnus Jim Kelly, former Miami Hurricanes quarterback and member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, returned to campus this weekend for the homecoming celebrations.

Kelly served as the grand marshal for Friday’s homecoming parade, as well as honorary captain for Saturday’s football game against the University of North Carolina, where he made a few remarks during halftime.

After graduating from the University of Miami, Kelly went on to be quarterback for the Buffalo Bills team in 1986.

After recently beating jawbone cancer, Kelly now has a staph infection in his bones for which he carries portable medical equipment. For Saturday’s green-out game, students across the stadium wore green “Kelly Tough” shirts to show their support. These shirts were given out at the game and were sold at various homecoming events.

Saturday was deemed “Kelly Tough” day, and Kelly was presented a $10,000 check at the game from the sales of the “Kelly Tough” T-shirts. This money was to benefit The Hunter’s Hope Foundation, which he started in honor of his son Hunter, who died at age 8 in 2005 from globoid cell leukodystrophy.

At the game, Kelly was also presented with a Miami Hurricanes jersey with Hunter’s name on it.

“I really haven’t heard that many cheers in this stadium for a long, long time,” he said as he took the stage during halftime for his remarks.

He thanked his wife and daughters for their support along the ride, as well as fans in Buffalo and Miami for their prayers.

“I know in Buffalo, New York, and right here in South Florida, the resiliency that you’ve had to continue to pray for myself and for my family … God bless you guys,” Kelly said. “And now we’re on the right track to making sure we turn the U all the way around.”

Kelly showed his optimism for the Hurricanes’ future by calling Saturday the beginning of the Hurricanes’ road to winning more national championships.

Emily Dabau

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that lead her to signing ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...