Game day gets ‘Kelly Tough’ with alumnus Jim Kelly

Football hall-of-famer Jim Kelly in December 2010. // Public domain photo by Staff Sgt. Corenthia Fennell

Alumnus Jim Kelly, former Miami Hurricanes quarterback and member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, returned to campus this weekend for the homecoming celebrations.

Kelly served as the grand marshal for Friday’s homecoming parade, as well as honorary captain for Saturday’s football game against the University of North Carolina, where he made a few remarks during halftime.

After graduating from the University of Miami, Kelly went on to be quarterback for the Buffalo Bills team in 1986.

After recently beating jawbone cancer, Kelly now has a staph infection in his bones for which he carries portable medical equipment. For Saturday’s green-out game, students across the stadium wore green “Kelly Tough” shirts to show their support. These shirts were given out at the game and were sold at various homecoming events.

Saturday was deemed “Kelly Tough” day, and Kelly was presented a $10,000 check at the game from the sales of the “Kelly Tough” T-shirts. This money was to benefit The Hunter’s Hope Foundation, which he started in honor of his son Hunter, who died at age 8 in 2005 from globoid cell leukodystrophy.

At the game, Kelly was also presented with a Miami Hurricanes jersey with Hunter’s name on it.

“I really haven’t heard that many cheers in this stadium for a long, long time,” he said as he took the stage during halftime for his remarks.

He thanked his wife and daughters for their support along the ride, as well as fans in Buffalo and Miami for their prayers.

“I know in Buffalo, New York, and right here in South Florida, the resiliency that you’ve had to continue to pray for myself and for my family … God bless you guys,” Kelly said. “And now we’re on the right track to making sure we turn the U all the way around.”

Kelly showed his optimism for the Hurricanes’ future by calling Saturday the beginning of the Hurricanes’ road to winning more national championships.

Emily Dabau

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...