Football, Sports

Canes trump Tar Heels 47-20 in Homecoming game

The Hurricanes (6-3, 3-2) ran all over North Carolina (4-5, 2-3) with 295 rushing yards, including a 90-yard dart from junior Duke Johnson with three to go in the second quarter.

Both Johnson and freshman Joseph Yearby eclipsed 100 yards, though Johnson accumulated 172 of his 177 in the first half.

No. 8 first put the Canes on the board with five to go in the first with a one-yard plunge into the end zone.

After a Miami safety and UNC-fumble recovery for a score, the Hurricanes closed up the first half with 21 consecutive points in the last 5:17.

This surge consisted of two Clive Walford touchdown grabs (numbers five and six on the season) and that Duke Johnson 90-yard track sprint.

After those two passing touchdowns, true freshman Brad Kaaya would follow up with one more in the first few minutes of the third quarter with a 37-yard dump to Johnson.

Kaaya finished with 189 yards and three TDs, and Johnson with 177 yards rushing, 2 rushing TDs and two catches for 49 yards (one going for a score).

The Hurricanes will carry the momentum from their current three-game winning streak into Sun Life stadium in two weeks, when they will face off against in-state rivals and AP No. 2 Florida State.

Danny New

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...