Football, Sports

Canes trump Tar Heels 47-20 in Homecoming game

The Hurricanes (6-3, 3-2) ran all over North Carolina (4-5, 2-3) with 295 rushing yards, including a 90-yard dart from junior Duke Johnson with three to go in the second quarter.

Both Johnson and freshman Joseph Yearby eclipsed 100 yards, though Johnson accumulated 172 of his 177 in the first half.

No. 8 first put the Canes on the board with five to go in the first with a one-yard plunge into the end zone.

After a Miami safety and UNC-fumble recovery for a score, the Hurricanes closed up the first half with 21 consecutive points in the last 5:17.

This surge consisted of two Clive Walford touchdown grabs (numbers five and six on the season) and that Duke Johnson 90-yard track sprint.

After those two passing touchdowns, true freshman Brad Kaaya would follow up with one more in the first few minutes of the third quarter with a 37-yard dump to Johnson.

Kaaya finished with 189 yards and three TDs, and Johnson with 177 yards rushing, 2 rushing TDs and two catches for 49 yards (one going for a score).

The Hurricanes will carry the momentum from their current three-game winning streak into Sun Life stadium in two weeks, when they will face off against in-state rivals and AP No. 2 Florida State.

Danny New

So what do UM Board of Trustee members think of what’s going on with the football program? Conversat ...

The University of Miami has dismissed wide receiver Jeff Thomas — widely recognized as the most gift ...

University of Miami sophomore receiver Jeff Thomas, widely considered the team’s most gifted player ...

Khris Bogle isn’t shy about his enthusiasm for the Alabama Crimson Tide after a recent visit to Tusc ...

Finally, the Eye on the U podcast comes to your ears after a Miami Hurricanes win. Miami went on the ...

Throughout campus, students expressed gratitude that they can be at UM and visit family during the T ...

Vector-borne specialist John Beier tells us what we should know about the illness. ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

Jaquan Johnson, Michael Jackson and Sheldrick Redwine have forged an unbreakable bond at Miami and a ...

Canes and Explorers kick off tournament Thursday at 2:30 p.m. ET/11:30 a.m. PT. ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team is set to host its annual Miami Thanksgiving Classi ...

The Miami women's basketball team jumped two spots to No. 22 nationally in the first in-season ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...