Football, Sports

Canes trump Tar Heels 47-20 in Homecoming game

The Hurricanes (6-3, 3-2) ran all over North Carolina (4-5, 2-3) with 295 rushing yards, including a 90-yard dart from junior Duke Johnson with three to go in the second quarter.

Both Johnson and freshman Joseph Yearby eclipsed 100 yards, though Johnson accumulated 172 of his 177 in the first half.

No. 8 first put the Canes on the board with five to go in the first with a one-yard plunge into the end zone.

After a Miami safety and UNC-fumble recovery for a score, the Hurricanes closed up the first half with 21 consecutive points in the last 5:17.

This surge consisted of two Clive Walford touchdown grabs (numbers five and six on the season) and that Duke Johnson 90-yard track sprint.

After those two passing touchdowns, true freshman Brad Kaaya would follow up with one more in the first few minutes of the third quarter with a 37-yard dump to Johnson.

Kaaya finished with 189 yards and three TDs, and Johnson with 177 yards rushing, 2 rushing TDs and two catches for 49 yards (one going for a score).

The Hurricanes will carry the momentum from their current three-game winning streak into Sun Life stadium in two weeks, when they will face off against in-state rivals and AP No. 2 Florida State.

Danny New

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

Despite earning the doubles point, the No. 15 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision ...