Football, Sports

Canes trump Tar Heels 47-20 in Homecoming game

The Hurricanes (6-3, 3-2) ran all over North Carolina (4-5, 2-3) with 295 rushing yards, including a 90-yard dart from junior Duke Johnson with three to go in the second quarter.

Both Johnson and freshman Joseph Yearby eclipsed 100 yards, though Johnson accumulated 172 of his 177 in the first half.

No. 8 first put the Canes on the board with five to go in the first with a one-yard plunge into the end zone.

After a Miami safety and UNC-fumble recovery for a score, the Hurricanes closed up the first half with 21 consecutive points in the last 5:17.

This surge consisted of two Clive Walford touchdown grabs (numbers five and six on the season) and that Duke Johnson 90-yard track sprint.

After those two passing touchdowns, true freshman Brad Kaaya would follow up with one more in the first few minutes of the third quarter with a 37-yard dump to Johnson.

Kaaya finished with 189 yards and three TDs, and Johnson with 177 yards rushing, 2 rushing TDs and two catches for 49 yards (one going for a score).

The Hurricanes will carry the momentum from their current three-game winning streak into Sun Life stadium in two weeks, when they will face off against in-state rivals and AP No. 2 Florida State.

Danny New

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...

The Canes head to the ACC Baseball Championship ranked in the top 20 in every major poll. ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team will once again represent her country ...