Featured, Homecoming 2014, Music

Homecoming concert mixes genres with Matt and Kim, Fabolous

Although seemingly a strange combination, Matt and Kim with Fabolous at the 2014 Homecoming concert made for a surprising mishmash of alternative and rap music.

On Thursday, the BankUnited Center transformed into a glow stick-illuminated, confetti-covered venue. During the evening, Kim booty danced over the crowd, Fabolous gave some heartfelt words and the mixed genres left some disillusioned.

Before the main acts hit the stage, University of Miami student DJs Grant & Duval and Littlefoot livened up the audience. Their performance was energetic, mixing popular songs like “Pompeii” by Bastille and “All of Me” by John Legend.

After a suspenseful musical introduction, Matt and Kim took to the stage, upbeat and wild. Matt playfully introduced Kim as “his partner in crime and partner in sex,” and she was constantly dancing and stepping up on her drum set.

The duo played all their fan favorites including, “Let’s go,” “Cameras” and “Daylight.” There was never a boring moment throughout the entire performance. Matt would occasionally blast the audience with a confetti gun while Kim threw balloons into the crowd.

“Matt and Kim were the best part,” said freshman Saud Boujarwah. “They are really great performers.”

After Matt and Kim’s performance the crowd began to dwindle. When Fabulous came on stage, it was apparent that he did have supporters, as many people sang along and waved their hands in the air.

The rapper sang “Say Ahh” and many of his own original songs, including his most famous, “You Be Killin Em.”

While students may not have been familiar with all the songs, the artists delivered for this year’s Homecoming concert.

“Both acts were entertaining, and the energy on the floor was a lot of fun,” said Nikki Wong, a member of Hurricane Productions. “Everyone seemed to be enjoying the show and responded well to the acts and props. The artists definitely had different styles of music, but people seemed to go along with it pretty well.”

Hallee Meltzer

Hallee Meltzer can be reached at hmeltzer@themiamihurricane.com.

Two-time Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova of the Czech Republic has been through more trauma in the ...

The words “Sweet 16” may never have been uttered as the Miami Hurricanes were laying out their prese ...

The mid-major monster nearly mauled the Miami Hurricanes again. But Miami bit back. Miami’s past thr ...

TCU coach Gary Patterson doesn’t like the way college football is trending when it comes to transfer ...

Oklahoma has its Oklahoma Drills. But the fired-up U has its own version of major college football p ...

The School of Nursing and Health Studies’ global research training program for minority students is ...

The University of Miami community gathered to remember the victims of the deadly New Zealand mosque ...

Culminating "an awesome, institution-wide effort," the Miller School of Medicine is celebr ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team will play fifth-seeded Arizona State in a top-2 ...

The Hurricanes made a ninth inning rally, but came up just short to No. 5 NC State, 7-6. ...

Kevin Arreaga of the University of Miami track and field team won the men's hammer throw on Sat ...

The Hurricanes received two key signatures from transfers in December's early signing period. ...

The Hurricanes travel to Chapel Hill, N.C., to battle the 11th-ranked Tar Heels. ...