Sports Briefs 10.30.14

WOMEN’S BASKETBALL

Freshman Aisha Edwards will undergo surgery for a torn ACL Thursday, and will therefore redshirt for her first season with the Canes.

The 5-foot-8 guard from Boca Raton came in ranked 10th in her position for the class of 2014 by ESPN’s HoopGurlz.

“What is delayed is not necessarily denied,” said Head Coach Katie Meier. “It’s a guarantee in my mind that she’s having a great career here.”

The Canes will open their 2014-15 season Thursday with an exhibition game against Nova Southeastern at the BankUnited Center.

CROSS COUNTRY

The Hurricanes will compete in the 2014 ACC Championship Friday in Earlysville, Virginia at 10 a.m.

The team just ran its last regular season race at Westminster Academy Sports Complex. Sophomore Gabrielle Hesslau won the women’s five-kilometer race with a time of 19:40, leading Miami to a second-place finish.

Hesslau was aided by a top-10 performance from fellow sophomore Frida Carlsson, as well as top 20 finishes from Julia Koch and Mulloy Manning.

On the other hand, the men’s team did not place, but featured strong performances from senior Douglas Dourado (third place) and Sophomore Jon Keller (ninth place).

Danny New may be emailed at dnew@themiamihurricane.com.

Danny New

University of Miami students share their thoughts and impressions as President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris take the helm. ...

Following Wednesday’s historic event, University of Miami experts in various fields provide their insight on the biggest challenges facing the new administration. ...

As part of the “Roadmap to Our New Century” initiative, the University of Miami advances the art of teaching and the science of learning by partnering with students, alumni, and others to offer options throughout the entire adult learning life cycle. ...

University of Miami experts weigh the merit and consequences of amending or repealing the communications law that provides a legal shield for service providers from the words, images, and videos posted by their users. ...

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...