Sports Briefs 10.30.14

WOMEN’S BASKETBALL

Freshman Aisha Edwards will undergo surgery for a torn ACL Thursday, and will therefore redshirt for her first season with the Canes.

The 5-foot-8 guard from Boca Raton came in ranked 10th in her position for the class of 2014 by ESPN’s HoopGurlz.

“What is delayed is not necessarily denied,” said Head Coach Katie Meier. “It’s a guarantee in my mind that she’s having a great career here.”

The Canes will open their 2014-15 season Thursday with an exhibition game against Nova Southeastern at the BankUnited Center.

CROSS COUNTRY

The Hurricanes will compete in the 2014 ACC Championship Friday in Earlysville, Virginia at 10 a.m.

The team just ran its last regular season race at Westminster Academy Sports Complex. Sophomore Gabrielle Hesslau won the women’s five-kilometer race with a time of 19:40, leading Miami to a second-place finish.

Hesslau was aided by a top-10 performance from fellow sophomore Frida Carlsson, as well as top 20 finishes from Julia Koch and Mulloy Manning.

On the other hand, the men’s team did not place, but featured strong performances from senior Douglas Dourado (third place) and Sophomore Jon Keller (ninth place).

Danny New may be emailed at dnew@themiamihurricane.com.

Danny New

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...