Pi Kappa Alpha alumni may face legal issues

The UM chapter of the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity (Pike) may be dealing with more than its suspension, according to Pike CEO Justin A. Buck.

On Thursday, The Miami Hurricane published an article about an online video of an army-themed party titled “Call of Booty” that contained Pike symbols, such as the official flag. At the time of publication, the national branch of Pike, as well as fraternity members who are now considered alumni, did not provide a comment.

SEE ALSO: Pike fraternity may jeopardize chance of returning in 2017

The next day, however, Buck emailed the national branch’s stance.

“As videos are analyzed to identify individuals, expulsion notices will be sent out as will additional legal action regarding the unauthorized use of the Fraternity’s name,” he wrote.

Buck also described the “continued actions by former members of the chapter” as “disappointing.”

According to reporting conducted for the Hurricane’s initial story, there was not conclusive evidence that the party was officially affiliated with Pike.

SEE ALSO: Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity suspended from campus

A Pike alumnus who attended the party and spoke to the Hurricane on the condition of anonymity said that it was not an official Pike event. As a suspended fraternity, Pike is not allowed to participate in any of the events sponsored by Greek organizations on campus.

A vimeo.com account Miami Parties uploaded the video at the end of September and has nearly 1,900 views. The party was held near Brickell and features shots of University of Miami students.

For further reading about Pike’s previous suspensions:

Pike house construction continues despite chapter suspension

Pi Kappa alpha suspended for nine violations

Remaining Pike members work to restore legacy

Charges delivered to Pike

Pi Kappa Alpha under investigation

Pike suspended; fraternity under investigation