News Briefs 10/30

Laverne Cox Visit

“Orange is the New Black” actress Laverne Cox, named the fourth most influential fictional character of 2013 by Time Magazine, will be speaking on campus. Tickets for the event go on sale Tuesday at the University Center (UC) ticket window and will be on sale from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Students will receive one free ticket by showing their Cane Card at the window. Law and graduate students can receive a free ticket in Room 206 of the Student Activities Center (SAC) from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Edith Bleich Speaker Series

Presidential Professor Emerita at Baruch College and the City University of New York (CUNY) Graduate Center Carol Berkin will be speaking at the Inaugural Edith Bleich Speaker Series at 7 p.m. Thursday in the College of Arts and Sciences Gallery. As a pioneer in early American women’s history, she will be speaking on “Daughters of Liberty: Women in the American Revolution.” The event is free.

Transformative Visions Artists’ Dialogue

The Lowe Art Museum is hosting a dialogue with a panel of four artists to discuss the current landscape of artistic production in Haiti with formal, thematic and socioeconomic questions. The dialogue will be held at 2 p.m. Nov. 8. It will be moderated by Associate Professor Dr. Jerry Philogene of Dickinson College and will serve as an opportunity to hear from Haiti and diaspora-based artists.

‘Space Jam’ at the Cosford Cinema

Join Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck and Porky Pig as they go on a mission to find the only humans to help the Looney Tunes as they face a critical basketball game in Looney Tune Land. The Cinematic Arts Commission is bringing “Space Jam” to the Cosford at 9:30 p.m. Saturday. The movie screening is free for students with a Cane Card.

Courtesy photo space-jam.wikia.com.