News Briefs 10/30

Laverne Cox Visit

“Orange is the New Black” actress Laverne Cox, named the fourth most influential fictional character of 2013 by Time Magazine, will be speaking on campus. Tickets for the event go on sale Tuesday at the University Center (UC) ticket window and will be on sale from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Students will receive one free ticket by showing their Cane Card at the window. Law and graduate students can receive a free ticket in Room 206 of the Student Activities Center (SAC) from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Edith Bleich Speaker Series

Presidential Professor Emerita at Baruch College and the City University of New York (CUNY) Graduate Center Carol Berkin will be speaking at the Inaugural Edith Bleich Speaker Series at 7 p.m. Thursday in the College of Arts and Sciences Gallery. As a pioneer in early American women’s history, she will be speaking on “Daughters of Liberty: Women in the American Revolution.” The event is free.

Transformative Visions Artists’ Dialogue

The Lowe Art Museum is hosting a dialogue with a panel of four artists to discuss the current landscape of artistic production in Haiti with formal, thematic and socioeconomic questions. The dialogue will be held at 2 p.m. Nov. 8. It will be moderated by Associate Professor Dr. Jerry Philogene of Dickinson College and will serve as an opportunity to hear from Haiti and diaspora-based artists.

‘Space Jam’ at the Cosford Cinema

Join Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck and Porky Pig as they go on a mission to find the only humans to help the Looney Tunes as they face a critical basketball game in Looney Tune Land. The Cinematic Arts Commission is bringing “Space Jam” to the Cosford at 9:30 p.m. Saturday. The movie screening is free for students with a Cane Card.

Courtesy photo space-jam.wikia.com.

Emily Dabau

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...