News Briefs 10/30

Laverne Cox Visit

“Orange is the New Black” actress Laverne Cox, named the fourth most influential fictional character of 2013 by Time Magazine, will be speaking on campus. Tickets for the event go on sale Tuesday at the University Center (UC) ticket window and will be on sale from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Students will receive one free ticket by showing their Cane Card at the window. Law and graduate students can receive a free ticket in Room 206 of the Student Activities Center (SAC) from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Edith Bleich Speaker Series

Presidential Professor Emerita at Baruch College and the City University of New York (CUNY) Graduate Center Carol Berkin will be speaking at the Inaugural Edith Bleich Speaker Series at 7 p.m. Thursday in the College of Arts and Sciences Gallery. As a pioneer in early American women’s history, she will be speaking on “Daughters of Liberty: Women in the American Revolution.” The event is free.

Transformative Visions Artists’ Dialogue

The Lowe Art Museum is hosting a dialogue with a panel of four artists to discuss the current landscape of artistic production in Haiti with formal, thematic and socioeconomic questions. The dialogue will be held at 2 p.m. Nov. 8. It will be moderated by Associate Professor Dr. Jerry Philogene of Dickinson College and will serve as an opportunity to hear from Haiti and diaspora-based artists.

‘Space Jam’ at the Cosford Cinema

Join Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck and Porky Pig as they go on a mission to find the only humans to help the Looney Tunes as they face a critical basketball game in Looney Tune Land. The Cinematic Arts Commission is bringing “Space Jam” to the Cosford at 9:30 p.m. Saturday. The movie screening is free for students with a Cane Card.

Courtesy photo space-jam.wikia.com.

Emily Dabau

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...