Halloween costumes comment on person behind mask

Remember going house to house yelling “trick-or-treat” and scurrying away in the costume your mom bought or made for you, bag filled with candy and heart as content as can be?

Me too. Now when I try to trick-or-treat, parents give me weird looks and I end up holding a random kid’s hand in order to nab just a little bit of candy.

So while it might not be socially acceptable to show up on random people’s doorsteps anymore, we can still buy Reese’s family packs from CVS Pharmacy and, of course, dress up.

But instead of dressing up as black cats and firefighters, we’re sexy black cats and firefighters. These days, you can add sexy in front of anything and you’ve got yourself a perfect Halloween costume.

Of course not all girls go the sexy [fill in the blank]route, and guys aren’t usually pouncing around in devil horns and lacey red bras. Some people opt for the political statement, others go for the pop culture reference, and others reuse the same kimono, afro or leotard every year with a new twist. So what does your Halloween costume say about you, really?

If you’re a girl and you’re dressing as an animal of any kind, you’re trying to be cute. I’m not talking gorilla suit here; I’m talking cat ears plus a black leotard and fish net stockings, or cheetah ears plus a cheetah leotard and fish net stockings, or bunny ears and a … you get the idea. It’s easy and you’re going to look adorable, and that guy from your physics class will definitely think you’re cuter than all the other animals at the party that will end up looking like a forest for woodland creatures.

If you’re a guy dressing as an animal, you’re going to die of heat, and that’s okay, because you’ll be that guy in the gorilla suit everyone wants a picture with.

If you’re going as a teen mom, one of the Kardashians or Kate Middleton, you just finished reading Us Weekly magazine and watching “Botched” on E! and can’t wait to carry that Cabbage Patch Kid (a.k.a. North West) around on Friday.

If you’re going scary, as in zombie with an eyeball falling out or a corpse with creepy white body paint, you’ve watched every “Friday the 13th” and have taken this holiday very seriously. You don’t mess around and you genuinely hope to freak some people out.

If you’re doing something like a priest or baby, you’re used to making people laugh and know your friends are expecting something good. They’re also going to take copious amounts of pictures of you doing inappropriate things as said priest or baby, and you’re excited for it. Funny always beats cute for you.

If you’re going as a superhero, you’re confident, fulfilling a childhood fantasy, and ready to save the day (i.e. buy everyone another round and regret it the next morning).

The list goes on for costume types and the different personalities they reflect, and I hope to see all you priests, police officers, skeletons and tigers out there on Halloween night. As for me, I’ll be the sexy lampshade eating stolen candy.

Melanie Martinez is a junior majoring in journalism.

Featured photo courtesy Maryland GovPics via Flickr.

Melanie Martinez

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

Come join head coach Manny Diaz and the Miami Hurricanes football program in the brand new Carol Sof ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...