Homecoming 2014, News

ACS, FEC presidents named Homecoming King and Queen

Seniors Erika Glass and Daniel Acosta, representing Federacion de los Estudiantes Cubanos (FEC) and Association of Commuter Students respectively, were announced king and queen of the Homecoming’s King and Queen Superhero Showdown in the SAC ballrooms Wednesday night.

This year’s Homecoming court also includes junior Tequille Jackson, representing United Black Students as the prince, and freshman Jennifer Cooke, representing Stanford Residential College as the princess.

“I decided to participate in the pageant because I always wanted to do king and queen, and I never really had a chance earlier … I decided to just go for it,” Glass said.

The winners were judged on their skits, spirit, talent and their resumes. Emma Guller, the co-chair of the pageant, said it was to ensure that the winners were involved outside of the competition.

“Resumes are used to help make sure the person who wins is a good representative of someone involved in the UM community, not just someone who performs well,” Guller said.

Acosta’s talent brought crowd members to their feet as he appeared fully decked out in a wig, make up and a dress to sing “I Put a Spell on You” from Disney’s “Hocus Pocus” movie. 

“The hardest part of the pageant was getting ready for my talent,” Acosta said. “It took a lot of makeup to make that happen.”

Glass, who has been singing since age 5, sang the song “Gimme Gimme,” from the Broadway show “Thoroughly Modern Millie.” Despite representing FEC, students from other organizations cheered her on as she hit the difficult notes.

Last year’s pageant separated the talent portion of the show from the skit portion, but to make things more interesting, the two sections were combined this year. Guller said they wanted to keep the students on their feet to keep them from getting bored.

The skits focused on UM traditions with a superhero twist.

The fan favorites, chosen after a vote during intermission, were junior Maya Underwood and senior Derik Madorma, who portrayed characters Lady CSA and Mr. Hechtastic.

After getting spectators to sing part of the Alma Mater with their fingers swaying in the air, Lady CSA gained a new superpower (as part of the skit) that allowed her to make beach parties appear out of nowhere. She used this new power on the audience, and smiles spread across students’ faces as they jumped up to catch beach balls released into the crowd.

After the skits and talent portion, the 16 participants were narrowed down to 8. The final 4 were chosen after the question round.

Questions included, “What would you do if you were president for a day?” and “What has been your greatest UM memory thus far?”

Nadijah Campbell

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The 2019-20 college basketball season is more than six months away, but the University of Miami Hurr ...

The University of Miami spring game Saturday will be here before you know it, and right about now, c ...

With about a third of the regular season left, the Miami Hurricanes baseball team is on the rise and ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

The Canes will battle the Cardinals this weekend in a battle of ranked ACC foes. ...

Michelle Atherley earned the University of Miami track and field program's fourth ACC outdoor h ...

Canes' recruiting class now stands 25th in 247Sports Composite Ranking. ...

Miami head women's basketball coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the signing of Moulayna Joh ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Championship action Thu ...