Featured, Homecoming 2014, News

O-Cheer winners take a trip to outer space, dance to Katy Perry’s ‘E.T.’

The Alpha Delta Pi (ADPi) and Kappa Sigma team won the Homecoming Organized Cheer (O-Cheer) competition Tuesday night.

O-Cheer performances resemble mini-musicals, except without singing and lots of dancing. This year’s O-Cheer eventheld on the UC Patio, required organizations to come up with seven-minute skits using specific toys from Toy Story, like Barbie and Mr. Potato Head, to tell stories that showcased their school spirit.

With alien toys as the focus, ADPi and Kappa Sigma performed a skit where toys Buzz, Andy and Jessie were kidnapped from the University of Miami and taken to space. They had to find a way to return in time for the Homecoming game. Performers were costumed in all-black attire with green tutus as they danced to songs like Katy Perry’s “E.T.” and spoke in alien-like voices.

“What’s really cool about O-Cheer is that it gives every organization a chance to represent their selves in a fun way,” said sophomore Lauren Rodriguez, an emcee for the event. “…It brings out the best part of each organization.”

The air was filled with an electric buzz as students in the audience decorated in green glittery war paint shouted their organizations’ chants and held up signs in support of their fellow Canes. The crowd swayed and danced along with the performers as their favorite songs were played.

Music choices for the skits included songs by Eminem, Trey Songz and Beyonce, as well as Nicki Minaj’s “Anaconda.” Students twirled, pop-locked, and even grinded to enhance their skits and garner more enthusiasm from the crowd.

“It feels good to have a lot of spirited groups in one place,” said sophomore Morgan Canty, an audience member.

The other organizations to place were Zeta Tau Alpha in second, Delta Phi Epsilon and Beta Theta Pi in third, and Federacion de Estudiantes Cubanos in fourth.

In total12 organizations performed, including Kappa Kappa Gamma and Lambda Chi, COISO, Hecht Residential College, Delta Gamma and Pi Kappa Phi, Tri Delta and Alpha Epsilon Pi, Association of Commuter Students and Chi Omega.

Jordana Herr, an RA in Hecht and the choreographer of Hecht’s skit, said that O-Cheer helps bring the campus together and can be an uplifting experience for all students.

“O-Cheer really gets me into the spirit of homecoming,” she said. “There’s nothing better than walking off the stage feeling like you put your best forward and hearing the crowd reacting to it.”

Nadijah Campbell

Two-time Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova of the Czech Republic has been through more trauma in the ...

The words “Sweet 16” may never have been uttered as the Miami Hurricanes were laying out their prese ...

The mid-major monster nearly mauled the Miami Hurricanes again. But Miami bit back. Miami’s past thr ...

TCU coach Gary Patterson doesn’t like the way college football is trending when it comes to transfer ...

Oklahoma has its Oklahoma Drills. But the fired-up U has its own version of major college football p ...

The School of Nursing and Health Studies’ global research training program for minority students is ...

The University of Miami community gathered to remember the victims of the deadly New Zealand mosque ...

Culminating "an awesome, institution-wide effort," the Miller School of Medicine is celebr ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team will play fifth-seeded Arizona State in a top-2 ...

The Hurricanes made a ninth inning rally, but came up just short to No. 5 NC State, 7-6. ...

Kevin Arreaga of the University of Miami track and field team won the men's hammer throw on Sat ...

The Hurricanes received two key signatures from transfers in December's early signing period. ...

The Hurricanes travel to Chapel Hill, N.C., to battle the 11th-ranked Tar Heels. ...