Featured, Homecoming 2014, News

O-Cheer winners take a trip to outer space, dance to Katy Perry’s ‘E.T.’

The Alpha Delta Pi (ADPi) and Kappa Sigma team won the Homecoming Organized Cheer (O-Cheer) competition Tuesday night.

O-Cheer performances resemble mini-musicals, except without singing and lots of dancing. This year’s O-Cheer eventheld on the UC Patio, required organizations to come up with seven-minute skits using specific toys from Toy Story, like Barbie and Mr. Potato Head, to tell stories that showcased their school spirit.

With alien toys as the focus, ADPi and Kappa Sigma performed a skit where toys Buzz, Andy and Jessie were kidnapped from the University of Miami and taken to space. They had to find a way to return in time for the Homecoming game. Performers were costumed in all-black attire with green tutus as they danced to songs like Katy Perry’s “E.T.” and spoke in alien-like voices.

“What’s really cool about O-Cheer is that it gives every organization a chance to represent their selves in a fun way,” said sophomore Lauren Rodriguez, an emcee for the event. “…It brings out the best part of each organization.”

The air was filled with an electric buzz as students in the audience decorated in green glittery war paint shouted their organizations’ chants and held up signs in support of their fellow Canes. The crowd swayed and danced along with the performers as their favorite songs were played.

Music choices for the skits included songs by Eminem, Trey Songz and Beyonce, as well as Nicki Minaj’s “Anaconda.” Students twirled, pop-locked, and even grinded to enhance their skits and garner more enthusiasm from the crowd.

“It feels good to have a lot of spirited groups in one place,” said sophomore Morgan Canty, an audience member.

The other organizations to place were Zeta Tau Alpha in second, Delta Phi Epsilon and Beta Theta Pi in third, and Federacion de Estudiantes Cubanos in fourth.

In total12 organizations performed, including Kappa Kappa Gamma and Lambda Chi, COISO, Hecht Residential College, Delta Gamma and Pi Kappa Phi, Tri Delta and Alpha Epsilon Pi, Association of Commuter Students and Chi Omega.

Jordana Herr, an RA in Hecht and the choreographer of Hecht’s skit, said that O-Cheer helps bring the campus together and can be an uplifting experience for all students.

“O-Cheer really gets me into the spirit of homecoming,” she said. “There’s nothing better than walking off the stage feeling like you put your best forward and hearing the crowd reacting to it.”

Nadijah Campbell

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...