Featured, Homecoming 2014, News

O-Cheer winners take a trip to outer space, dance to Katy Perry’s ‘E.T.’

The Alpha Delta Pi (ADPi) and Kappa Sigma team won the Homecoming Organized Cheer (O-Cheer) competition Tuesday night.

O-Cheer performances resemble mini-musicals, except without singing and lots of dancing. This year’s O-Cheer eventheld on the UC Patio, required organizations to come up with seven-minute skits using specific toys from Toy Story, like Barbie and Mr. Potato Head, to tell stories that showcased their school spirit.

With alien toys as the focus, ADPi and Kappa Sigma performed a skit where toys Buzz, Andy and Jessie were kidnapped from the University of Miami and taken to space. They had to find a way to return in time for the Homecoming game. Performers were costumed in all-black attire with green tutus as they danced to songs like Katy Perry’s “E.T.” and spoke in alien-like voices.

“What’s really cool about O-Cheer is that it gives every organization a chance to represent their selves in a fun way,” said sophomore Lauren Rodriguez, an emcee for the event. “…It brings out the best part of each organization.”

The air was filled with an electric buzz as students in the audience decorated in green glittery war paint shouted their organizations’ chants and held up signs in support of their fellow Canes. The crowd swayed and danced along with the performers as their favorite songs were played.

Music choices for the skits included songs by Eminem, Trey Songz and Beyonce, as well as Nicki Minaj’s “Anaconda.” Students twirled, pop-locked, and even grinded to enhance their skits and garner more enthusiasm from the crowd.

“It feels good to have a lot of spirited groups in one place,” said sophomore Morgan Canty, an audience member.

The other organizations to place were Zeta Tau Alpha in second, Delta Phi Epsilon and Beta Theta Pi in third, and Federacion de Estudiantes Cubanos in fourth.

In total12 organizations performed, including Kappa Kappa Gamma and Lambda Chi, COISO, Hecht Residential College, Delta Gamma and Pi Kappa Phi, Tri Delta and Alpha Epsilon Pi, Association of Commuter Students and Chi Omega.

Jordana Herr, an RA in Hecht and the choreographer of Hecht’s skit, said that O-Cheer helps bring the campus together and can be an uplifting experience for all students.

“O-Cheer really gets me into the spirit of homecoming,” she said. “There’s nothing better than walking off the stage feeling like you put your best forward and hearing the crowd reacting to it.”

Nadijah Campbell

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...