Football, Sports

Three Canes earn ACC Player of the Week

After Miami’s 30-6 win at Virginia Tech, three Canes were honored with ACC Player of the Week on Monday.

Junior running back Duke Johnson was named Offensive Back of the Week after his career best 249-yard performance. Senior center Shane McDermott was named Offensive Lineman of the Week and sophomore linebacker Jermaine Grace was honored as Co-Linebacker of the Week.

Johnson totaled 249 yards on 24 carries and scored two touchdowns to help the Canes win. He has over 1,000-yards rushing this season for the first time in his career.

McDermott and the offensive line helped open up the Miami running game in Blacksburg. He has been the Canes’ starting center for the past three seasons.

Grace made four tackles, and three of them were solo. In Blacksburg, he snagged the first two fumble recoveries in his career and his second sack this season. Grace ranks fourth on the Canes with 36 tackles this season.

The Canes will take on North Carolina 12:30 p.m. Saturday at Sun Life Stadium for the Homecoming game.

For the full list of ACC Players of the Week in football, go to theACC.com 

Courtney Fiorini

UM Rosenstiel School researchers monitor nutrient footprint from offshore aquaculture. ...

Daily protests are taking place in Puerto Rico, calling for the resignation of Gov. Ricardo Roselló. ...

How will the sentencing of “El Chapo” impact the drug trade out of Mexico? Bruce Bagley, a professor ...

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

Junior offensive lineman Navaughn Donaldson was among those players selected to the preseason watch ...

Jonathan Garvin and Shaq Quarterman were named to the watch list for another major defensive award T ...

A trio of Miami Hurricanes were named to the 2019 All-Atlantic Coast Conference Preseason Football T ...

Junior defensive back Trajan Bandy was among those players named to the 2019 Jim Thorpe Award Presea ...

Seniors Michael Pinckney and Shaquille Quarterman were among those players named to the watch list f ...