Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports

Women’s cross country team finishes second

The Miami Hurricanes cross country team ran in the Western Academy Invitational in Lauderdale Lakes this weekend.

Freshman Gabrielle Hesslau won the women’s five-kilometer race with a time of 19:40.75, her second best time of the season. Seven other women represented the Hurricanes in the run. Sophomore Frida Carlsson finished sixth with a time of 20:22.42. As a team, the women finished in second place. Nova Southeastern won the team score with 25 points.

The men did not place but were led in the five-kilometer race by senior Douglas Dourado. He finished third with his season best time of 16:23.79. Sophomore Jon Keller followed Dourado and placed ninth. Freshman Sean Grossman and senior Anthony Ricketts placed 11th and 15th with times of 17:15.29 and 18:08.89 to finish the race for the Hurricanes. Jacob Alplund of Northwood took home the victory with a finish of 16:07.11.

Dourado and Keller had a breakout meet in September when they both broke the 26-minute mark in the eight-kilometer race at the Mountain Dew Invitational.

Next up, the Hurricanes head to the Atlantic Coast Conference Championships hosted by the University of Virginia. It kicks off on Friday with the women’s six-kilometer race scheduled for 10 a.m. This will be followed by the men’s eight-kilometer race. In last year’s championships at Wake Forest, Florida State won the women’s championship and Syracuse won the men’s title. Miami placed last for both divisions, with the women scoring 447 points and the men scoring 409.

Victoria Hernandez

The mid-major monster nearly mauled the Miami Hurricanes again. But Miami bit back. Miami’s past thr ...

TCU coach Gary Patterson doesn’t like the way college football is trending when it comes to transfer ...

Oklahoma has its Oklahoma Drills. But the fired-up U has its own version of major college football p ...

Day Three of University of Miami football practice media viewing Friday inside the Carol Soffer Indo ...

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

The School of Nursing and Health Studies’ global research training program for minority students is ...

The University of Miami community gathered to remember the victims of the deadly New Zealand mosque ...

Culminating "an awesome, institution-wide effort," the Miller School of Medicine is celebr ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opened NCAA Tournament play with a 69-62 triump ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg saved her best for last at the 2019 NCAA Swimmin ...

In a battle between two of the ACC's best pitchers, No. 5 NC State mustered a fifth-inning rall ...

The Hurricanes top Duke, 4-3, to improve to 6-0 in conference action. ...

The Miami track and field team concluded day one of the Power 5 Trailblazer Challenge competing in t ...