Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports

Women’s cross country team finishes second

The Miami Hurricanes cross country team ran in the Western Academy Invitational in Lauderdale Lakes this weekend.

Freshman Gabrielle Hesslau won the women’s five-kilometer race with a time of 19:40.75, her second best time of the season. Seven other women represented the Hurricanes in the run. Sophomore Frida Carlsson finished sixth with a time of 20:22.42. As a team, the women finished in second place. Nova Southeastern won the team score with 25 points.

The men did not place but were led in the five-kilometer race by senior Douglas Dourado. He finished third with his season best time of 16:23.79. Sophomore Jon Keller followed Dourado and placed ninth. Freshman Sean Grossman and senior Anthony Ricketts placed 11th and 15th with times of 17:15.29 and 18:08.89 to finish the race for the Hurricanes. Jacob Alplund of Northwood took home the victory with a finish of 16:07.11.

Dourado and Keller had a breakout meet in September when they both broke the 26-minute mark in the eight-kilometer race at the Mountain Dew Invitational.

Next up, the Hurricanes head to the Atlantic Coast Conference Championships hosted by the University of Virginia. It kicks off on Friday with the women’s six-kilometer race scheduled for 10 a.m. This will be followed by the men’s eight-kilometer race. In last year’s championships at Wake Forest, Florida State won the women’s championship and Syracuse won the men’s title. Miami placed last for both divisions, with the women scoring 447 points and the men scoring 409.

Victoria Hernandez

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...