Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports

Women’s cross country team finishes second

The Miami Hurricanes cross country team ran in the Western Academy Invitational in Lauderdale Lakes this weekend.

Freshman Gabrielle Hesslau won the women’s five-kilometer race with a time of 19:40.75, her second best time of the season. Seven other women represented the Hurricanes in the run. Sophomore Frida Carlsson finished sixth with a time of 20:22.42. As a team, the women finished in second place. Nova Southeastern won the team score with 25 points.

The men did not place but were led in the five-kilometer race by senior Douglas Dourado. He finished third with his season best time of 16:23.79. Sophomore Jon Keller followed Dourado and placed ninth. Freshman Sean Grossman and senior Anthony Ricketts placed 11th and 15th with times of 17:15.29 and 18:08.89 to finish the race for the Hurricanes. Jacob Alplund of Northwood took home the victory with a finish of 16:07.11.

Dourado and Keller had a breakout meet in September when they both broke the 26-minute mark in the eight-kilometer race at the Mountain Dew Invitational.

Next up, the Hurricanes head to the Atlantic Coast Conference Championships hosted by the University of Virginia. It kicks off on Friday with the women’s six-kilometer race scheduled for 10 a.m. This will be followed by the men’s eight-kilometer race. In last year’s championships at Wake Forest, Florida State won the women’s championship and Syracuse won the men’s title. Miami placed last for both divisions, with the women scoring 447 points and the men scoring 409.

Victoria Hernandez

Father, mother, and daughter will all be students at the University of Miami this fall semester. ...

UM weather expert and senior research associate Brian McNoldy explains the science behind lightning ...

As students make their way back to campus for the new school year, here’s a refresher on some of the ...

President Julio Frenk and student leaders formally welcome first-year and transfer students to campu ...

Marc Gellman, a University of Miami research associate professor, recounts his experience attending ...

On the final night of its trip abroad, the Miami men's basketball team defeated LCC Internation ...

Miami's defensive tackles have traditionally been some of the Hurricanes' best players, wh ...

Sophomores Brevin Jordan and Will Mallory look to follow in the footsteps of the greats before them ...

Jarren Williams stepped into the spotlight for the first time Tuesday as Miami's starting quart ...

Former Miami soccer player Dalanda Ouendeno is attempting to become the first foreign female pit cre ...