Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports

Women’s cross country team finishes second

The Miami Hurricanes cross country team ran in the Western Academy Invitational in Lauderdale Lakes this weekend.

Freshman Gabrielle Hesslau won the women’s five-kilometer race with a time of 19:40.75, her second best time of the season. Seven other women represented the Hurricanes in the run. Sophomore Frida Carlsson finished sixth with a time of 20:22.42. As a team, the women finished in second place. Nova Southeastern won the team score with 25 points.

The men did not place but were led in the five-kilometer race by senior Douglas Dourado. He finished third with his season best time of 16:23.79. Sophomore Jon Keller followed Dourado and placed ninth. Freshman Sean Grossman and senior Anthony Ricketts placed 11th and 15th with times of 17:15.29 and 18:08.89 to finish the race for the Hurricanes. Jacob Alplund of Northwood took home the victory with a finish of 16:07.11.

Dourado and Keller had a breakout meet in September when they both broke the 26-minute mark in the eight-kilometer race at the Mountain Dew Invitational.

Next up, the Hurricanes head to the Atlantic Coast Conference Championships hosted by the University of Virginia. It kicks off on Friday with the women’s six-kilometer race scheduled for 10 a.m. This will be followed by the men’s eight-kilometer race. In last year’s championships at Wake Forest, Florida State won the women’s championship and Syracuse won the men’s title. Miami placed last for both divisions, with the women scoring 447 points and the men scoring 409.

Victoria Hernandez

At 7:27 p.m Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz tweeted a GIF of a swirling Hurri ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ As Miami awaits decisions from its potential 2019 qua ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

Pictures from the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team's season-opening action in the Miami Sp ...