Soccer, Sports

Women’s soccer team stumbles

The Canes women’s soccer team fell to No. 5 North Carolina 3-0 on Sunday afternoon at Chapel Hill.

The loss to the Tar Heels caps a disastrous season on the road for the Hurricanes, who finished the regular season 1-8 away from Coral Gables.

Miami is now 1-7-1 in the ACC and 3-13-1 overall. The Canes are 13 our of 14 teams in the ACC, dangling at the bottom of the rankings. North Carolina continues their ACC success, second only to Florida state,  8-0-1 and 11-2-2 overall.

The Hurricanes hung tough with the fifth-ranked team in the nation for the first 28 minutes of the game until junior forward Paige Nielsen scored on a penalty kick to put the Tar Heels up 1-0.

North Carolina jumped on Miami early in the second half with a goal in the 54th minute by sophomore forward Emily Bruder. Bruder received a through ball by sophomore midfielder Joanna Boyles and fired it by senior goalkeeper Emily Lillard into the top left corner of the net.

Freshman forward Megan Buckingham put away the Hurricanes in the 77th minute with a goal off a cross by sophomore midfielder Cameron Castleberry.

The Tar Heels outshot the Hurricanes 17-5. Junior midfielder Amy Schmidt led the ‘Canes with two shots and one shot on goal.

The Hurricanes have now been shut out in five of their last six games and seven times overall this season.

The Canes finish their season against Wake Forest 1 p.m. Sunday at home.

Courtney Fiorini contributed to this report.

Mark Singer

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The 2019-20 college basketball season is more than six months away, but the University of Miami Hurr ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

Following a 4-1 victory over No. 13-seed Virginia Tech Thursday in its ACC Championship opener, the ...

The fifth-seeded Miami women's tennis team started ACC Championship competition with a 4-1 vict ...

The Hurricanes will battle fourth-seed NC State in the quarterfinals Friday at 9 a.m. ...

The Canes made a late charge, but fell short at No. 8 Louisville 7-5 ...

Because of expected inclement weather, Thursday's game time has been moved up one hour to 5 p.m ...