Soccer, Sports

Women’s soccer team stumbles

The Canes women’s soccer team fell to No. 5 North Carolina 3-0 on Sunday afternoon at Chapel Hill.

The loss to the Tar Heels caps a disastrous season on the road for the Hurricanes, who finished the regular season 1-8 away from Coral Gables.

Miami is now 1-7-1 in the ACC and 3-13-1 overall. The Canes are 13 our of 14 teams in the ACC, dangling at the bottom of the rankings. North Carolina continues their ACC success, second only to Florida state,  8-0-1 and 11-2-2 overall.

The Hurricanes hung tough with the fifth-ranked team in the nation for the first 28 minutes of the game until junior forward Paige Nielsen scored on a penalty kick to put the Tar Heels up 1-0.

North Carolina jumped on Miami early in the second half with a goal in the 54th minute by sophomore forward Emily Bruder. Bruder received a through ball by sophomore midfielder Joanna Boyles and fired it by senior goalkeeper Emily Lillard into the top left corner of the net.

Freshman forward Megan Buckingham put away the Hurricanes in the 77th minute with a goal off a cross by sophomore midfielder Cameron Castleberry.

The Tar Heels outshot the Hurricanes 17-5. Junior midfielder Amy Schmidt led the ‘Canes with two shots and one shot on goal.

The Hurricanes have now been shut out in five of their last six games and seven times overall this season.

The Canes finish their season against Wake Forest 1 p.m. Sunday at home.

Courtney Fiorini contributed to this report.

Mark Singer

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...