Soccer, Sports

Women’s soccer team stumbles

The Canes women’s soccer team fell to No. 5 North Carolina 3-0 on Sunday afternoon at Chapel Hill.

The loss to the Tar Heels caps a disastrous season on the road for the Hurricanes, who finished the regular season 1-8 away from Coral Gables.

Miami is now 1-7-1 in the ACC and 3-13-1 overall. The Canes are 13 our of 14 teams in the ACC, dangling at the bottom of the rankings. North Carolina continues their ACC success, second only to Florida state,  8-0-1 and 11-2-2 overall.

The Hurricanes hung tough with the fifth-ranked team in the nation for the first 28 minutes of the game until junior forward Paige Nielsen scored on a penalty kick to put the Tar Heels up 1-0.

North Carolina jumped on Miami early in the second half with a goal in the 54th minute by sophomore forward Emily Bruder. Bruder received a through ball by sophomore midfielder Joanna Boyles and fired it by senior goalkeeper Emily Lillard into the top left corner of the net.

Freshman forward Megan Buckingham put away the Hurricanes in the 77th minute with a goal off a cross by sophomore midfielder Cameron Castleberry.

The Tar Heels outshot the Hurricanes 17-5. Junior midfielder Amy Schmidt led the ‘Canes with two shots and one shot on goal.

The Hurricanes have now been shut out in five of their last six games and seven times overall this season.

The Canes finish their season against Wake Forest 1 p.m. Sunday at home.

Courtney Fiorini contributed to this report.

Mark Singer

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...