Millennials should express style with class

One benefit of coming to college is that people treat you like an adult and allow you to dress yourself. There is no formal dress code, and students are allowed to wear what they please.

While a person has the right to express his or her individuality, some people take the lack of a formal dress code too far. There are standards of decency that need to be upheld when going to class, and students should dress tastefully and appropriately for the task at hand, which is learning.

You wouldn’t show up wearing just anything to work or to an important on-campus meeting. School is our job right now, and we should dress like we are aware of that. We should not reserve putting thought and effort into what we wear for special events.

No, there is no need to come to class in a suit every day, unless that’s your thing, in which case, more power to you. However, you should at least come clothed. Many girls like to wear shorts, which, in Miami, is understandable. But if you are wearing the type of shorts where your pockets are longer than the pants themselves and a good portion of your butt is hanging out, why bother putting on pants at all?

The same thing goes for guys who sag their pants. If your pants are sitting below your butt and we can see 90 percent of your underwear, why not just walk around in your boxers, since you are so eager to show them to the general public? Neither of these “styles” are appropriate for the classroom setting, and they make you look sloppy and unprofessional.

You may be thinking that it doesn’t matter if you look unprofessional because you are not a professional yet. While that may be true, you will be one sooner than you realize, so it never hurts to start carrying yourself like one. As the old saying goes, “Dress for the job you want, not the job you have.” If you start learning how to dress appropriately now, it’ll be a lot easier to adapt when you get into the workplace.

How you dress can also impact your relationships with your professors. First impressions matter, but so do subsequent impressions. Your professors may be writing your letters of recommendation at some point. You want them to remember you for the merits you brought to class and your academic performance, not the distracting clothing that you decided to wear.

Dressing appropriately is also a sign of respect. If most professors come to school in business-casual attire, the least students can do is throw on a pair of jeans and a T-shirt. Everyone runs late sometimes, but showing up to class in your pajama pants is not okay. It shows that you don’t have any regard for the professor or for the class.

Express yourself, and wear the clothes that you like, but keep it classy. Take some time in the morning or the night before to actually think about what you are going to put on and what type of impression it’s going to leave. Be remembered by the value you add, not the outlandish and inappropriate things you wear.

Taylor Duckett is a senior majoring in business law.

Featured photo courtesy of Robert Sheie.

Taylor Duckett

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...